WWYD. Spurs

Jesstickle

Visit site
Not would you use them BUT

I have normal, old fashioned, Prince of Wales spurs. They obviously get the job done, but probably a bit more than I actually need them to.

So I want to buy something a bit 'less'. I currently can't decide if I ought to be buying roller ones or whether I should buy something like the Sprenger ones here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRENGER-...TRA-GRIP-SMOOTH-BABY-SPURS-15mm-/270859634567

opinions on either or what other people use when they need something but not loads

glamourpuss

Visit site
I'm in a bit of a similar situation, my lad reacts like I've electrocuted him in my normal spurs.
I've been riding him in comb spurs which seem to be just enough extra (not BE or BD legal sadly)
I've also borrowed a pair of impulse spurs from my instructor to try - haven't yet though.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Ideally I would rather not have to buy six sets before I get what I want. I haven't bought spurs ever (the ones I own are my pony ones so bought by the Mothership and barely fit on my boots :eek: ) and they cost more than I expected!

I see loads and loads of people with roller ones but I'm not sure if that is just fashion on whether it is because they are actually the magical answer. Hmm

glamourpuss

Visit site
I've got a set of Mark Todd Rollerball spurs, haven't used them yet....I forgot I had them, borrowed the impulse, found the MT ones [duh]
Do you want to try them?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have both MT plastic and metal roller ones (bought after the plastics and only use these now) - for rubs though not for a lighter touch.. I don't need a lighter touch :p. You'd be welcome to the plastics if I can get mum to post them as I didn't bring them to wilts for me.

khalswitz

Visit site
I have roller balls, metal korsteel ones. I love them compared to my POWs, but I only need them because Geoff can avoid the leg, he is plenty forwards, so I only need them very lightly, and the greater surface are of the roller ball is much better for that. Plus the moving ball means less chance of unsightly spur rubbed bits.

oldvic

Visit site
I find the best blunt spurs are the Stubben soft touch spurs. Not yet had a horse object to them and you can get different lengths. I got mine from Townsfields.

Cheiro1

Visit site
I ride in rubber roller-ball spurs and like them a lot. Then give enough of a feel without the "poke" effect, rarely ride in anything else now :) Even my very quirky dressage horse went happily in them, and he used to stop and kick out if I so much as touched him with normal spurs.