WWYD? - Three trusted professionals with three different opinions

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Thanks Ester, yes I use aspero - I think it's a lot better value than the usual hifi chaff too!

I think once he is muzzled he might be a little less fussy about his dinner, he isn't usually the fussy type but then he is usually actually in work. Having not been worked at all since the 1st of June I think this must be the longest he has ever had off! Ah well, time off never did anyone any harm...I hate the idea of muzzling him, but as we aren't allowed to bring the horses on to the yard for now, it's just 6 acres with two horses at the moment.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Dr Oatker peppermint essence added to the feed works for mine my fussy Arab will eat anything with that added, it's available in most supermarkets and it has no sugar in it so pretty good for them.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Thanks all - taking out the cinnamon and cutting back the equimins a bit seems to have worked - I am his worst enemy at the moment having muzzled him (really impressed with "The Ultimate Muzzle" fwiw) and am stabbing him every week with Cartrophen injections.

Still, we should be going on holiday to Thetford Forest mid August where he will get to hang out with his best friends for a week, even if he can't ride out with them!

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Just an update pretty much a year on just in case anyone comes searching to H&H if they're having the same problem (Its always the first place I look!)

Vet came out for a check up yesterday just to see how hes doing before my insurance claim runs out next week. He was amazed at Rockys progress, said he was at least 80% better than when he last saw him, and to be honest even on a circle on tarmac I could barely see lameness - just uneven on the odd stride. He said to carry on doing whatever i'm doing, and that taking his shoes off probably helped with the arthirtus as it reduces the concussion.

So, for anyone going through similar issues - here's what has worked for us:

1. Turnout and leave him be for about 6 months - he was muzzled on and off to keep weight down (He had remedial shoes on at this point)
2. Removed shoes (Wish I did this earlier) and began in hand walking around the yard (concrete) for 10 minutes every day without fail - Had boots until he was comfortable without
3. Thick squishy rubber matting in his stable (I found Arkmats on Amazon with free delivery)
4. Regular bodywork by a GOOD physio (My phsyio spends about 2-3 hours with him each session, has done field walk arounds to see what types of grasses we have that could effect him, she looked in to his diet as below and just gave some all round good advice)
5. Changed diet - now just on soaked hay, chaff, salt & Steel Forces (a powdered balancer by Trinity Consultants)
6. Slow build up of work - Starting inhand walk we built up by 5 minutes every week, once we got to an hour I started riding (10 mins & building up) - currently at 40 minutes with some trot, just building this back up to an hour with trotting before adding canter. I change between him wearing boots and not wearing boots depending on where i'm hacking.
7. Come back to H&H and thank everyone for their advice!

Supplements:
After 6 months of rest I started using some supplements recommended to me by my physio. I used one supplement at a time, in this order:

(All supplements from Trinity Consultants)
A 10 day course of L94
4 litres of Convelix
BB1974 - A bespoke joint/mobility supplement, it's two of their products mixed together, but with the turmeric removed (Currently using, will be longterm)

Now I don't know if its everything together that worked or one thing in particular- but I don't care, he's on the right road!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Wow, so well done. So its another success for a barefoot rehab, not the "wedges and remedial shoes." It takes a great leap of faith (and hope and worry and guilt and everything else) but so well done to you and hopefully the vet might consider this for future patients.

I heard a horse just had his 20th birthday sound and doing endurance. At age 8 after a year's worth of remedial farrier, wedges, etc. etc. the vet wanted to PTS. He does have pretty crummy feet really, born like it, but the shoe removal, boots, exercise regime got him sound again.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
Wow, so well done. So its another success for a barefoot rehab, not the "wedges and remedial shoes." It takes a great leap of faith (and hope and worry and guilt and everything else) but so well done to you and hopefully the vet might consider this for future patients.

I heard a horse just had his 20th birthday sound and doing endurance. At age 8 after a year's worth of remedial farrier, wedges, etc. etc. the vet wanted to PTS. He does have pretty crummy feet really, born like it, but the shoe removal, boots, exercise regime got him sound again.

The vet was really interested in his scoot boots and did say he could recommend them to a few people. It's funny that he thinks all I did was buy a pair of boots and hey presto lol! But yes, it's a step in the right direction if he can recommend them to anyone instead of heart bars or wedges

Brilliant to hear of a horse like that doing endurance! Definitely the more movement the better!