WWYD: Turnout Dilemma?

atropa

Visit site
I'd just like to preface this post, just in case it's recognised by anyone I know in real life, by saying that I am in no way trying to badmouth anyone. I just need some advice on how to handle this situation, or somebody to tell me that I'm being a previous t**t over my horse..

My mare is currently turned out in a huge field with 5 other mares. I have recently been away from my yard for a couple of days, returning Monday, so YO has been looking after her for me. Upon my return, I was told by a fellow livery that over the weekend, there had been an incident in the mare's field involving two other horses. Mare A, who is quite a dominant horse, had been chasing mare B, causing her to fall several times and eventually cornered her against the metal field gate, booting her several times hard enough to make the gate bow outwards and seemingly damage the surrounding fenceposts. Previously, mare A had been seen giving mare B some nasty bites. (Disclaimer at this point: I wasn't present for any of this, haven't seen it but have been told by other liveries) Previously, mare A has also been quite aggressive to a few smaller mares have since moved field due to this.
It seems that Mare A has now been separated from the rest of the herd, into a smaller field beside the main one...and that my mare has been put in with her as a companion. I have not been consulted or even informed of this, don't know if it's a permanent solution or short term, but I am not particularly happy, for several reasons.

#1 Although my mare seems to be pretty much one of the only horses in the field who hasn't been bullied by mare A and has actually been seen stopping mare A from aggressive behaviour towards children before, I can't help but feel very uneasy and imagining how I would feel if it was her that had been on the receiving end of what happened at the weekend.

#2 In addition to this, the smaller field has no water supply - the owner of mare A has been taking a bucket of water down every night for them, which I don't feel is enough but as I didn't realise my horse was actually supposed to be in that field, there was no way for me to know that I should have been providing extra water.

#3 The horses are currently in at night and out during the day. This winter I've had a lot of bother with my horse being left as the last out, and her getting upset over it. With her now being in a field with only one other horse, this is even more likely to happen.

#4 When I bought my mare 7 months ago, Mare A and her became very attached, and would call for each other desperately. Mine would spin around in her stable and sweat up when away from Mare A, and I'm worried this might happen again.

#5 I haven't been consulted or even just told about this arrangement, which is probably the thing that is annoying me the most! I really like my YO and trust that she knows what she is doing, but I'm just a bit miffed that my horse is the 'chosen one' without my knowledge, and I'm perplexed as to why she wouldn't tell me.

Am I overreacting and worrying about nothing?

X

xspiralx

No, it would annoy me too.

Although it seems that your mare and mare A have a good relationship, personally I would not want any horse of mine out with another that is known to be aggressive. I would expect an aggressive horse to be on individual turnout, albeit within sight of other horses.

I would also be annoyed at not being consulted, so I can understand why you're cross about it.

spacefaer

Visit site
I would hit the roof if my horse's living arran get what had been changed without consultation.

Mind you, I wouldn't put my horse in a herd with other people's horses .......

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'd be fuming.

Move your Horse back to her original field and let YO know you've done this so she can make alternative arrangements for the aggressive mare.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A mare local to me killed another mare in the field. I don't mean to worry you, OP, but I would absolutely not allow my horse to be in the field with this other horse. If she can see the other mares from the small field, can't she be given individual turnout?

atropa

Visit site
I would hit the roof if my horse's living arran get what had been changed without consultation.

Mind you, I wouldn't put my horse in a herd with other people's horses .......

Trust me, after the hassle I've had this winter I'd love nothing more than to be able to buy a second mare and have them out together..

No, it would annoy me too.

Although it seems that your mare and mare A have a good relationship, personally I would not want any horse of mine out with another that is known to be aggressive. I would expect an aggressive horse to be on individual turnout, albeit within sight of other horses.

I would also be annoyed at not being consulted, so I can understand why you're cross about it.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, my girl seems to be great at getting on with others, I've seen her befriend one of the previously bullied loner pony mares when nobody else would, she also gets along famously with mare B and seems to somehow be able to keep mare A off her back but horses will be horses and I worry that mare A will have enough of her one day. There has been a recent change of stables where Mares A and B are now beside each other, instead of Mare B being beside my mare, so this might have something to do with the change of behaviour.

atropa

Visit site
A mare local to me killed another mare in the field. I don't mean to worry you, OP, but I would absolutely not allow my horse to be in the field with this other horse. If she can see the other mares from the small field, can't she be given individual turnout?

Oh dear :\ Thank you CT, I was worried that I might have been being a bit overprotective of her but I would be absolutely gutted if she was hurt and I need to put her wellbeing first. I did wonder why she needed another horse in with her, as the two fields share a fenceline so she could see/touch others if in there individually.

Achinghips

Visit site
Split your field into two with leccy fencing so you can both have individual turnout. Ask yo for a large container for water, like a bath and invest in some 5 gallon water carriers to make things easier.

asmp

Visit site
Having had a £2000 bill (7 years ago) for a kicked hock, I would not be happy in your situation, especially when you weren't asked if it was OK. Tell YO you would like your horse moved back as you're not happy about the situation

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
#3 The horses are currently in at night and out during the day. This winter I've had a lot of bother with my horse being left as the last out, and her getting upset over it. With her now being in a field with only one other horse, this is even more likely to happen.

#4 When I bought my mare 7 months ago, Mare A and her became very attached, and would call for each other desperately. Mine would spin around in her stable and sweat up when away from Mare A, and I'm worried this might happen again.

These two would be the worry for me. IME two horse turnout has to be very carefully managed to avoid separation problems and I wouldn't want my horse out with just one other horse if there had already been issues with separating the two of them, especially if it wasn't the only turnout option.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think you have to ask for your mare to go back out with the herd. Be calm and reasonable and explain about the SA, no need to say because other horse is a bully, which tends to get peoples backs up.

Clodagh

Visit site

I lost my mare of a lifetime with a broken hock after a two mare incident.

Nappy Croc

Visit site
I hate 2 horse turnout, probably more than I hate individual. Plus my horse being used with the aggressive one. I wouldn't be happy.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
This is why I hate same sex herds.

OP take your mate out of there and put her where she should be. It is up to the YO to make arrangements although info feel sorry for the aggressive mare as she is more likely to be aggressive when separated from other horses.

If she is fine with the others then perhaps mate B should be moved herds of other than this horse she isn't going for any of the others.

atropa

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. My mare has now been moved back to the original field with the rest of the herd and mare A is now on individual turnout..not ideal at all and not sure if it will continue once they move onto 24/7 turnout but at least for now my horse isn't the sole horse in with mare A.
Blackbeastie moving mare B would possibly have been an issue but mare A would then most likely have moved on to bullying someone else from what we have seen..2 other mares have already had to move herd because of her.