WWYD - veterinary nurse self diagnosing and giving drugs

nuttychestnut

Visit site
A current situation down the yard has really annoyed me but I'm not sure what to do.
A little back ground to the story. The livery I am speaking about is a small animal nurse at a small animal practise.
Sunday morning she brought her horse in with a kick to the hock, some heat and swelling but hacked it out anyway. She got off part way around to led it. She hosed the leg after and threw the horse in his field.
Monday the leg was swollen and hot, she has asked her practice manager to prescribe painkillers and Antibiotics stating this is all her equine vet had said to do.
I checked the leg this morning (Tuesday) hock is now at least 3 times it's normal size with swelling cover most of his leg. I asked her to call the vet but she stated she had spoken to them over the phone and his leg was fine.
I rechecked him tonight, the whole leg feels really hot, the hock is 3-4 times it's normal size and the cut has yellow pus coming out. The cuts edges look crusty and in flamed. Called her again to get the vet out, she states her boss (small animal and hasn't physically seen the horse's leg) prescribed the pain killer and antibiotics again.
I'm also worried that the situation she had told her boss, is not reflective of the horses current state.
WWYD???
Does this horses leg sound normal? I'm worried an infection has now got into the joint and bone, what do you think?
Am I just being a interfering livery?
Is her boss in the wrong for giving drugs to an animal he hasn't seen?
Chips and curry sauce if you got this far!

foraday

Visit site
It sounds to me a clear case to report to the welfare authorities as she has NOT sort a vet out to the horse!

Having a cat and dog vet prescribe for a horse they have not seen can get themselves into a lot of hot water

It sounds like the horse has definitely got an infection or debris etc stuck in there, therefore a decent poultice as would be too late to flush the wound

Have to ask does she really have the vet nurse qualification or is she just a vet nurse student????

Also the horse should have been prescribed bute!

Poor thing! Hope you are brave enough to help this horse as you are stuck in a tricky situation being at the same yard but the welfare act 2006 does state that you are ALL responsible for the horse once you have seen it

I hope you can get some help asap

WHW have field officers that can advise and help so would start with them

Good luck and keep us informed

Faithkat

Visit site
I lost a horse to a kick on the hock. Bone chips from the kick had punctured the DDFT sheath. My vet prescribed the usual bute and ABs but when the (tiny) wound wouldn't heal and was oozing yellow fluid (not pus, there was no infection in the actual wound), he took her in for x-rays and ultrasound. This was a week after the original kick and the DDFT sheath infection had already started to eat into the bone . . . . . Your "friend" needs more than ABs!!!!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
YO is aware and was fuming this morning asking her to call the vet to visit. I almost feel like the YO has washed her hands with it as tonight the YO was agreeing with her stating myself and the other liveries are just interfering!
I don't trust the woman and think she lies continually.
Yes she is qualified, makes me angry that she gets paid to look after sick animals but can't look after her own correctly!
Can I contact the vet licensing agency to report the vet? I can understand a vet verbally prescribing flu treatment but this is a serious cut/kick!
I just don't know what to do for the best. I do know who the horse is registered with so I thought about calling them and possibly sending pictures as I do not believe she has explained the full story to them.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Call an equine welfare organisation. The horses owner is an idiot but you are letting this horse down too. Report anonymously if you want, but do report it. Tell them about the small animal vet too.

little_critter

Visit site
If you know who she works for take a photo of the horses leg and send it to her boss saying 'this is what you are dealing with' and express your concerns.
Or call bhs welfare.

asmp

Visit site
Agree something must be done. My horse was kicked on the hock which resulted in a small cut. Went lame a couple of days later. Got vet out who surprised me by saying he needed to go to horsepital immediately. He spent 5 days in there having it monitored as there was a risk to the joint. Was about 7 years ago and cost me a fortune (is this what the woman is worried about? Although no excuse for not getting vet out)

Elbie

Visit site
Pus is never good. Poor horse

I would be calling a welfare charity. I would also be tempted to mention it to the governing body for vet nurses (can't think what they are called atm. BVNA?)

Sandstone1

Visit site
It is illegal for a vet to treat and prescribe drugs to a horse unless that vet has seen the animal in the last six months.
Report it before it too late for the poor horse.
Idiot owner.

wench

Visit site
Not sure on the six months things... Vets will precribe medication for cattle without seeing the individual animal for longer than a six month period

Sandstone1

Visit site
Farms are different but I can assure you it is illegal for a vet to prescribe a Pom drug unless the animal has been seen in last six months.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
YO has a duty of care. If owner won't call the vet, YO must.

(I would also be calling the practice this girl works at too.....).

dibbin

Visit site
My horse was kicked in the hind leg and PTS 3 weeks later because it was broken (vet had been out 4 times). I would report it to a welfare organisation. I know you've said the YO has washed her hands of it, but legally SHE CAN'T, so it might be worth a quiet word to remind her that she'll be at least partly liable should a neglect case be brought against the owner.

Poor horse.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would call the vets and state that one of their nursing staff is treating this would (supply photo) and it is not improving-you may find she has not told them the extent of the injury or they may not have any idea and maybe she is just helping herself to meds?

what meds is the horse on as a small animal vet would not hold many meds that would be any good for treating a horse,

_GG_

Visit site
Call one of the equine welfare charities. Let her learn a valuable lesson and remind her that it is against the law to withhold veterinary treatment to an animal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The horse needs a visit .
The more I read about YOers on here the more I think we need draconian regulation of livery yards although what on earth we would do with all the homeless horses I don't know.

hayley.t

Visit site
Just as an aside, the 6 month thing is not a legal requirement but a guideline. I think the law is a reasonable amount of time but the rcvs guideline is 6 months but depending on the situation and the drugs involved it can be longer or shorter.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
The horse needs a visit .
The more I read about YOers on here the more I think we need draconian regulation of livery yards although what on earth we would do with all the homeless horses I don't know.

I agree. My YO knows zilch about horses or their management. I am DIY & there are a couple of novice owners who, to be frank, are clueless. It's frustrating to witness some of their jaw dropping decisions. Advice is given but ultimately I have no sway. Ignorance is bliss to some & the desire to learn & improve is their decision.

hayley.t

Visit site
Sorry, just realised I didn't respond to the point of the thread! In this case that the vet can not have been told the full details of the injury, do you think that she would play it down? When I worked at a veterinary practice thevets wwould have prescribed me abs and bute with out seeing the injury but I would usually have them out anyway as I am a bit of an equine hypochondriac! They would usually say if it isn't showing improvement within x amount of time we need to see it, maybe she has said it is improving?
I think I would ring a welfare organisation, possibly the RSPCA as all they would do at this point is ring the vets and ask if it is under their care and this might give the vets the kick up the bum which is needed! Or if they came out it might make the owner realise that she really isn't providing the necessary level of care.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Just as an aside, the 6 month thing is not a legal requirement but a guideline. I think the law is a reasonable amount of time but the rcvs guideline is 6 months but depending on the situation and the drugs involved it can be longer or shorter.

Not sure that's correct, anyway the vet should not have prescribed drugs or treatment never having seen the said horse.

hayley.t

Visit site
Yes I agree that the vet was wrong to prescribe drugs to a horse that has not been seen.
Perhaps I am wrong but the vets I worked with said that it could be longer as long as they could explain (can't think of the right word here) their decision should they have to but they could be quite old fashioned so you could be right.