Wwyd - worm count

Equi

Visit site
Worm counted everyone including the latest edition. All came back well under 70 (one was zero!) but true new boyo was 175. I think 200 is the next level up. He was wormed when I got him as my custom so a few months ago now.

He’s still in the low category but as it’s so close to the medium category I’m trying to decide if I worm or not - he’s a mini so a wormer would be half wasted if not 3/4 wasted cause no one else for sure needs wormed.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if it was me i would worm this time so that hopefully the next worm count would be down......as he is a mini is that quite a lot? i have no experience of minis ...

Equi

Visit site
if it was me i would worm this time so that hopefully the next worm count would be down......as he is a mini is that quite a lot? i have no experience of minis ...

I’m not sure the breed matters but I suppose it might, I might call and ask about that one for curiosity!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
well the results confuse me as the lowest you can get is <50epg, reading 4 chambers you can't get lower than that.

Breed doesn't matter, wouldn't matter if he were a sheep either :p. Do you know his worming history?

Equi

Visit site
Not really. I know his breeder and he was always wormed with her, but had been in a home for approx five years with unknown care. My results came in very precise counts lol

Shay

Visit site
What does your counting company say? Simply chucking 1/4 of a tube at him without reason increases worm resistance and undermines the reason why you count. Your count came in very precisely but with Westgate they only recommend a re-test in 3 months, not worming unless the count is over 200.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
well the results confuse me as the lowest you can get is <50epg, reading 4 chambers you can't get lower than that.

Breed doesn't matter, wouldn't matter if he were a sheep either :p. Do you know his worming history?

My vet gives precise readings, although we have been on 0 for many years here.

I then used Westgate and got a < reading and I was horrified (can't remember if it was <50 or <200) so I called them and asked what exactly the count was, and they said my count was, in fact, 0. They don't give a figure as the number depends on the sample, so is only a guide as to worm population anyway. However, if you have been 0 for years, over many counts, I did need to know what the count, in fact, was!

So, it depends on who is doing the counts.

I would worm with the correct dosage, OP. Then I would count again after a suitable period of time. If they share grazing I would count them all again.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
My vet gives precise readings, although we have been on 0 for many years here.

I then used Westgate and got a < reading and I was horrified (can't remember if it was <50 or <200) so I called them and asked what exactly the count was, and they said my count was, in fact, 0. They don't give a figure as the number depends on the sample, so is only a guide as to worm population anyway. However, if you have been 0 for years, over many counts, I did need to know what the count, in fact, was!

I would worm with the correct dosage, OP. Then I would count again after a suitable period of time. If they share grazing I would count them all again

So, it depends on who is doing the counts

I think that must have changed - I use Westgate and do get "No eggs seen" so if it is 0 they do tell you.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think that must have changed - I use Westgate and do get "No eggs seen" so if it is 0 they do tell you.

I wonder if I got the company wrong then? I thought it was Westgate, but it was a couple of years ago now, or they have changed the results. I do understand the sentiment that the result depends on the sample, but for a 0 it is good to know.

Having said that, this year we are going to camp on grass, so will be worming anyway as no doubt we will pick a few up there!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It makes me wonder what method they are using though as what westgate use is still 'gold standard'.

No eggs seen is not a zero, no eggs seen is <50epg because that is the limit of the standard Modified McMaster test. - 1 egg seen over 4 McMaster slide chambers tested = 50epg, so if you see no eggs it is <50epg.

I don't know why anyone would be using anything but the Modified McMaster test for testing individuals as opposed to whole herds.