WWYD

landyandy

Visit site
how would you feel, if you placed your riding hat down, where no horses should be, then a fellow livery leave their horse tied up unattended, and it somehow manages to stand on your riding hat, my hat silk is torn and a big scuff mark on the hat,

Clannad48

Visit site
To be perfectly honest this is not the answer you want, but putting a hat on the floor is never a sensible or good idea, even if there should not be a horse there, it's a livery yard, there are always horses somewhere. If the horse has indeed stood on it you will need to get it checked out to see if it still safe to wear. A hard, and possibly costly lesson to learn I'm afraid.

be positive

Visit site
Cross but as I say to my liveries never leave anything valuable on the floor as horses do seem to have the knack of treading on things when you least expect it, if a horse could be tied anywhere in the vicinity, unattended or not, then the fault is with whoever left their valuables at risk, not the horse owner who tied up to what must have been a viable option for them to use it.

WelshD

Visit site
I'm afraid I would think that it wasn't safe on the floor (?) in an area horses and/or wheelbarrows had access to whether they should be there or not. Probably not what you wanted to hear sorry - others may see it differently

Princess16

Visit site
I'm with the others I'm afraid you shouldn't have put it at risk.

I can imagine how cross you are but as the saying goes accidents happen :-(

landyandy

Visit site
I understand all your replies, but my hat was in a place where horses or people don't use, on a step up behind where horses are tied, it's only a small yard, with only a handful of horses, an apology would have been nice, and I have learned by my mistake at a cost

rachk89

Visit site
Would be annoyed but more at myself for leaving it on the floor. You don't leave expensive stuff like that on the ground even if you think it's safe. It might not be as you have found out.

Also dunno if you are planning to but don't use the hat again even if it is tested and seems ok. It probably isn't.

suffolkmare

Visit site
sorry but agree with previous replies although I bet a lot of us have put a hat down briefly in a place where you wouldn't expect it to be trodden on...I find teenagers are pretty bad at putting hats/saddles/grooming kit away safely! I'm not sure you can test a hat to see if it is still offering 100% protection without destroying the hat anyway? Costly error and yes an apology from the owner of the horse in-the-wrong-place would have been nice to stop bad feeling. :(

Shay

Visit site
Sorry - agree with the others. Don't ever put a hat on the ground. Its not just horses. Humans can trip on them or dogs pick them up or play with them. Either put it safely in your car, wear it, or site a hook somewhere to hang it on. In your place I'd also replace the hat I'm afraid. A costly lesson - but in fairness I've been guilty of this too. And had to replace the hat to remind myself not to do it again!

Elbie

Visit site
Bit confused trying to figure out the set up but is it likely the horse knocked it off the step instead of standing on it?

Afraid I agree with others. Regardless of whether its in an area people don't normally go it's not a good idea to leave a hat on the floor or on something it can fall off of.

landyandy

Visit site
no it's a step up to where hat was, somehow the unattended horse that was tied up managed to get up it and stand on my hat, all I wanted was an apology, i'm not blaming anyone, but I would have apologised if it was my horse, then again my horse would not be left alone tied up

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm afraid you left it in a place a horse could be, as played out in the end so it's just one of those stupid things we all learn from. You can't blame it on the other horse being left unattended either. You left the hat unattended.

Moomin1

Visit site
Why should they apologise? You left your hat in an accessible place of your own choice. The owner of the horse tied their horse up in a designated tying up area. They haven't done anything wrong so I don't see that they should feel they need to apologise.

Getoutmypockets

Visit site
I learnt the hard way never to leave things on the floor.... My horse decided to do a HUGE wee and despite my hat and grooming bag being far away it flowed to my belongings.
An apology would be nice but as we all know horses can have tantrums or spook and break free and stand on things even if your right there. Had it been my horse I would have certainly apologised though!

I've also had a horse freak at someone coming round a corner mid tack up as I was doing up the girth... Costly mistake as he promptly broke free and ran off leaving my saddle crashing to the ground :( I had no one to blame, I was angry but it was noones fault these things just happen!

Enjoy picking a fancy new hat is my only advice :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
big difference here, a horse to a hat, I know it was my fault too, all I was saying is that an apology would have been nice

There's no difference in fact leaving the hat unattended could be argued as being more silly!

I leave my horses unattended all the time with no issue. I don't leave my hat unattended!

landyandy

Visit site
thank you most of you, for making an old girl feel like everything is always her fault, and everyone else is so perfect, even when they tie horses up and leave the yard. i'm not BLAMING anyone, as I have previously said it was partly my fault, all I was saying, I would have at least apologised

landyandy

Visit site
There's no difference in fact leaving the hat unattended could be argued as being more silly!

I leave my horses unattended all the time with no issue. I don't leave my hat unattended!

big difference in my opinion. a hat dose not escape and cause damage, when it is an area for putting stuff when tacking up

FfionWinnie

Visit site
No one is making you feel anything! Several people have admitted to doing the same silly things the difference being we all realise we were at fault!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I am surprised by all the replies. If it had been my horse, I would have replaced the hat!

Well I was answering as the owner of the hat not the horse. If it were your horse and my hat I would not expect or allow you to replace the hat unless your horse broke into the Tackroom and removed my hat from a hook! If it were my horse it would not have happened because my horses do not break free and run amok so I would not be in that situation so I cannot answer what I would do.

View

Visit site
If it were my hat, really annoyed with myself is how I would feel.

I've learnt the hard way that my hat is either on my head or safely locked in my car.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Well I was answering as the owner of the hat not the horse. If it were your horse and my hat I would not expect or allow you to replace the hat unless your horse broke into the Tackroom and removed my hat from a hook! If it were my horse it would not have happened because my horses do not break free and run amok so I would not be in that situation so I cannot answer what I would do.

I would just feel so bad if my horse broke free and broke someone's hat. I would just replace regardless of what the owner of the hat said. In fact I had a large puppy a few years ago that was going through the chewing things up stage. I gave everyone strict instructions to keep the tackroom door closed. One of my liveries sharers forgot and my pup stole her hat from the tack room and chewed out the inside. I just bought her a new one because I felt so bad about it.

rachk89

Visit site
I would just feel so bad if my horse broke free and broke someone's hat. I would just replace regardless of what the owner of the hat said. In fact I had a large puppy a few years ago that was going through the chewing things up stage. I gave everyone strict instructions to keep the tackroom door closed. One of my liveries sharers forgot and my pup stole her hat from the tack room and chewed out the inside. I just bought her a new one because I felt so bad about it.

I would expect you to as well frankly. You have left a badly behaved dog wander around a yard by itself. Of course you should replace anything it damages considering you could have kept it on a leash or locked in a cage/car.

But this was an accident caused because OP left her hat on the ground. The issue at the beginning wasn't even about wanting an apology either although if my horse did that I would apologise. I don't see what is wrong with leaving a horse unattended either everyone does it. I do now that I can trust my horse to behave although didn't when I couldn't obviously. He has broken many ties just to come looking for me. But he knows I will come back now so he stays put.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would expect you to as well frankly. You have left a badly behaved dog wander around a yard by itself. Of course you should replace anything it damages considering you could have kept it on a leash or locked in a cage/car.

But this was an accident caused because OP left her hat on the ground. The issue at the beginning wasn't even about wanting an apology either although if my horse did that I would apologise. I don't see what is wrong with leaving a horse unattended either everyone does it. I do now that I can trust my horse to behave although didn't when I couldn't obviously. He has broken many ties just to come looking for me. But he knows I will come back now so he stays put.

My yard and my dog. The sharer broke my rules but I still felt bad and replaced the hat. I am not keeping a puppy chained up or in a cage from 8am until 9pm whilst people are coming and going. That is just cruel. I still have a rule of keeping the tack room closed, but would still replace anything that my animals did, either by accident or otherwise. Liveries come here knowing we have two outdoor giant breed dogs that roam the yard and are not allowed in the tack room.

Elbie

Visit site
Maybe they didn't apologise as they don't think they are at fault. Or they don't want to be seen as if they are admitting fault .

Palindrome

Visit site
Not a hat, but once put a saddle in reach of a mouthy horse, on a fence next to where my horse and him were tied. He chewed the girth billet while I had my back turned and was grooming my horse. I put it down to experience and didn't expect owner to pay or apologise (which she didn't). Things like that happen, it's not a big deal.