WWYD...

Lintel

Visit site
Long story cut as short as possible.

Hipo and WHW Shetland, together at home for 3+ years, sole companions to each other, but not "clingy".

WHW Shetland nearing the end of his time due to arthritis, will have to be PTS sooner than I had hoped unless there is a miracle. :(

This will leave Hipo alone, he is not the needy type but has never been "alone" and I don't particularly feel comfortable with the thought of him losing his friend and having nobody.

I would like to rehome again but WHW have nothing suitable at present (ideally wanting ridden/potential gelding).
Ideally was wanting "now" to give settling in time for everyone before the time came to PTS.

Nothing suitable on the market or at least nothing that I would justify paying the money for at the minute(crazy!!)

WWYD?
I'm thinking about getting another WHW gelding of some sort, but wouldn't ultimately want to keep them here for life, I would want to "swap" should something more suitable come up from WHW?
I'm thinking would the Hipo be ok by himself for a bit ?.. but what if he wasn't?
I'm thinking about buying some sort of companion that is closer to me but I would be selling when something more suitable came up?
I'm thinking I am over thinking.
The little man has days where he is much better but yestarday wasn't a great day, I'll be chatting with the vet next week.

tiahatti

Visit site
Are there other horses in ajoining fields? If he has neighbours he could be ok. My Tia lost her soulmate in January. She lives alone with neighbours. I really didn't want her to be alone but she seems very chilled and her usual self whenever I see her.

Lintel

Visit site
Are there other horses in ajoining fields? If he has neighbours he could be ok. My Tia lost her soulmate in January. She lives alone with neighbours. I really didn't want her to be alone but she seems very chilled and her usual self whenever I see her.
Sorry I should have said we are at home, alone, we have neighbouring cows sometimes?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I keep my 2 at home and personally I wouldn't keep one alone for too long, mine have had to be alone on a few occasions if a stay over at the vets is needed, and tbh they really are not settled at all so I wouldn't want to do it for an indefinite period, I have horses adjoining my fields but neither of mine are particularly bothered about the horses in there.

I had a mare with separation anxiety and I truly believe that it can trigger it if a horse is left to live alone at some time in there life.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your shetland.

I agree that a companion on loan could be a good option.

On the other hand, taking a horse from WHW (or perhaps another charity) on a temporary basis with a view to swapping later is fine, I think? You're still freeing up a space in a rescue and the horse may well benefit from being with you for a while? It's certainly an option worth exploring if the charity will allow it, I think.

I wouldn't want a horse without any equine company, personally- and it might take a while for you to find something suitable in the current climate.

HorseyTee

Visit site
Blue Cross?
I have my companion pony from them and after 18 months ownership was signed over to me. I can have him backed if I wish.
They have all sorts available, ridden/companion and different breeds although cobs are the most numerous.
I found dealing with them positive so would recommend.

Lintel

Visit site
Thank you all, hope you are doing well Teajack!

Im so uneasy with leaving him alone, it's going to be my ultimate last resort. I'm going to give WHW a phone tomorrow, they are already aware of the situation but I think I need to look for another unridden companion at least for the moment. Going to contact the SSPCA as well.. there is nothing on the website but I know they have stables in Edinburgh(abit closer to me than WHW) surely they aren't lying empty?

Thanks for the bluecross recommendation, I think though its going to be abit far for us nearly 5 hours away but I will keep it in mind!

Visit site
Must it be a gelding? Would a colt or a mare do in the short term?

There are plenty of studs that have empty mares or colts running on that they may not mind lending you for a while. Just a thought.

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
How about one of the Dartmoor hill ponies? Have a look on the Friends of the Dartmoor hill pony Facebook page, Charlotte Faulkner is the lady with all the details on it all.

SO1

Visit site
Are there any riding schools or trekking centres that need to cut back on numbers for a few months due to less customers due to Coronavirus. They might be able to lend you something for a few months to tide you over.