x-country, advice please?

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm off x-country training (me and a few friends are hiring a course) this weekend! But I am feeling incredibly nervous! Jumping/x-country has never been my forte! But I like to give everything a go and mix my 5 year olds training up a little (andalusian x arab). She's an absolute cracker and has proven very talented in everything! Especially dressage! ...But she loves jumping and is not phased by anything! Even if I completely loose my stride, bless her heart she takes me over them (even though she doesn't really know what she's doing, she'll give it her best go for me). She has lately grown in confidence, if anything a little too over-confident and tends to rush (and throw in the odd buck), but this is something we are working on.

As I said above, jumping is not really my thing (I'm a dressage girl at heart), and x-country I've done less of, but we keep fences small for both of our sakes!. The odd x-country jump I've popped, but never round a proper course (this was on my late mare too, my new mare has popped one x-country jump which she flew over)! ...I am very excited and looking forward to it, but am I little nervous as it is completely out my comfort zone, and I can't rely on my mare to help me out (even though she will try).

Sorry for the ramble and not really sure what i'm after in terms of advice, but maybe to hear from those of you who are experienced in x-country as it is completely new to me and my mare.

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

Jasmine86

Visit site
You certainly don't want my advise on anything technical as I'm rubbish but just wanted to wish you good luck and say enjoy it & make sure you get someone to take pictures.

As you said keeping them small and having a play around is the main thing. Don't forget your body protector and a change of clothes (the day you don't pack this is the day you get dunked).

ajn1610

Visit site
You'll have loads of fun! Just treat it like introducing anything new, keep it straight forward and small enough that she can just step over, you are with others and can take a lead if necessary. I'd take a neck strap or monkey strap so you've got something to grab should you need it. Where are you going?

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate it. Good idea about the change of clothes (I hadn't thought of that) ...will definitley use a neck strap too! I'm off to Bonfleur (Kent) :) ...I had a nose on the website and I can see baby jumps which is great :) ... I'm excited at tackling the water, it looks so much fun!

Thanks again for your replies :)