X-raying a 5yo horse who had clean x-rays as a 3yo

Minty45

Visit site
WWYD! Hi everyone, I think I may have found my dream young horse (rising 5) and pondering what to do about vetting him. After losing my 6yo last year to KS, hock arthritis and a side bone after owning him for only 10 months I am feeling very wary! The horse I have viewed had a full set of clean X-rays as a 3yo when imported from Ireland. As a 4yo he has done a handful of local shows and has been brought on sympathetically. He has a 20K price tag and has immaculate conformation. Would you x-ray again if it passed a 5-stage?

Minty45

Visit site
Clean x rays at 3 mean nothing now at 5 I'm afraid. You need to make your decision as if there had never been any.

I hope he passes for you and has a long sound life with you after the upsetting problems with your last horse.
Thank you @ycbm, I really valued your help and support last year

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you @ycbm, I really valued your help and support last year

You're welcome, you had such a tough time, it's always so much more devastating when they're only 6 years old. You deserve better luck this time but if you can afford it I'd xray the whole spine, neck included, and all joints on all 4 legs on the new one.

Last edited:

Minty45

Visit site
I think if you are going to insure for anything 10k or above you need X rays anyway. Besides anything can happen in 2 years since the last set.

Good
I’ve purchased horses of this value before and not needed them for insurance (KBIS), but then I didn’t insure for LOU. Will be considering things differently this time. Thanks OP :)

Last edited:

Meri

New User
Visit site
WWYD! Hi everyone, I think I may have found my dream young horse (rising 5) and pondering what to do about vetting him. After losing my 6yo last year to KS, hock arthritis and a side bone after owning him for only 10 months I am feeling very wary! The horse I have viewed had a full set of clean X-rays as a 3yo when imported from Ireland. As a 4yo he has done a handful of local shows and has been brought on sympathetically. He has a 20K price tag and has immaculate conformation. Would you x-ray again if it passed a 5-stage?
Absolutely xray again for ECVM and KS.
Also get a decent Mctimoney chiro out to check gaits and body.
I've been hit too many times to mention.