XC Boot Conundrum Update...

Hattikins

Visit site
Some of you may remember I asked about XC boots for J at the end of my Tweseldown report last week. Well after everyone's helpful suggestions I took the plunge and bought a pair of front medium NEW Airflow xc boots. Looked fine when I put them on him but within 5mins of trotting and cantering they had slipped a good inch plus down his legs. :( not great! Tried them with tubi grip underneath aswell which made no difference whatsoever either. Mum then suggested we try a pair of eskadron tendon boots on him as we thought maybe the elastic in the straps might help...again after 5mins they had also slipped down considerably and neither boot would have lasted a XC course successfully :/. So if anyone's looking for a medium pair of NEW xc boots this pair are redundant already!! :(

Slightly at a loss as to what to try next, it seems he has particularly short cannon bones which means that even medium sized boots meant for 15.1-16hh tb/riding club types (he's a 15.1 cobxtrotter) catch on the sides of his knee and work their way down his legs. I have a feeling pony boots are going to be the right length but not fit the circumference of his legs. Any ideas greatly received, currently we have tried eskadron open and closed fronted full size tendon boots, Ecogold medium and small boots and NEW airflow medium XC boots with no success. I'm planning on trying a pair of pony eskadrons on him this week to see if they look totally ridiculous, I just really don't fancy going xc again this season bootless!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
Could you maybe try porter boots and bandages? Are his legs clipped? We had this problem a couple of years back when I clipped B out fully in the summer, His boots has never slipped until I clipped him. I found that spraying his legs and the inside of his boots with mega-hold hairspray just before booting up kept this boots in place long enough to get around a course - they wouldn't survive schooling without being adjusted but would survive in competition.

He was 14.2h with very short cannons, he wore small woof untras front and small NEW airflow xc boots behind.

Hattikins

Visit site
Crazymare: ah yes I like that their sizing accommodates shorter stockier built ponies!

Jane_lou: yes his legs are clipped out and will be all summer and as you say I'm sure this is part of the problem! Shiney slippery slim legs are not great for keeping boots in place!

vallin

Visit site
Was also going to suggestion you looked at woof wear, they do a good variety of sizes :) and if not porter boots and bandages.

rising_promise

Visit site
I think I answered your original query suggesting Trizone Allsport boots. I have a 15.2hh coloured girl of a similar build to Jack, also with fairly skinny, short legs!

I'm going to Munstead on Saturday and would be more than happy for you to try my boots on if you want to? Saves wasting time and money and buying more! I have mediums all round for XC and use the open fronted tendon version for SJing.

I'll be there (all going well) about 9.30 on Sat morning and will probably be there all day! PM me if you want to try :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
Try Style - they will make to measure for you as they are a UK company. I suspect NEW would do the same as when I made a detour to their factory in Tetbury once they were super-helpful and they make in the UK too.

dafthoss

Visit site
My connie has PE ones in pony size that I can measure for you and measure his legs? He also has super short little legs but they havnt slipped at all, he wears them for all sorts and he has clipped out legs in the winter.

ihatework

Visit site
Porter boots would definitely be a cheap option to try, cut to fit and then bandage. Bit of a faff but were the 'in thing' in the old days!!!

georgiegirl

Visit site
I had a similar problem fitting xc boots for my mare (hinds) shes ISH and all the ones that fitted her width wise were to long - in the end I bought some prolite ones which touch wood have never moved and wash and wear extremely well.

for the fronts ive got some of the premier equine BL1's to pick up from the post office tomorrow ( :) ) so will let you know how they fit. As far as Ive heard premier equine are fairly genourous width wise so might be worth calling them to see what size they recommend? my mare is 16.1hh and they said to go for the mediums so I await with baited breath to see what they fit like! (ps they are in the sale too :) )

BeckyD

Visit site
I've got my 16hh IDx with decent bone but ridiculously short legs in Style XC boots - I think they are full size but I'm not sure. I remember thinking "they won't fit him" but they did. I'd tried Premier Equine (too narrow or too long for his fat short legs), NEW (slipped/too long), Woof (too long/too narrow). The Style ones fit really well. Been XC 3 times in them and they haven't slipped at all, and they have a lot of adaptibility re qidth due to enormous piece of velcro.

Also my lad has fully clipped legs this winter and they still haven't slipped.