XC boots for sj

paddi22

Visit site
Stupid question really, but as an eventer who has now gotten the showjumping bug, is there any reason I can't jump in my xc boots (Majyk Equipe ones). Hoping to get up the heights in sj, currently at 1 10. But everyone else looks like proper pro jumpers with lovely boots, and I look a bit odd. Is there any technical reason I would be better off getting proper sj boots or will I be ok in my xc boots? I know boots are designed for the disciplines, so was wondering really would proper sj boots be of benefit fitwise, or protection wise going over poles?

ihatework

Visit site
You can use your xc boots, but the reason why sj’ers don’t is because they offer too much protection. If your horse has a rub on a pole it’s geneally better if they can feel it, hence open fronted boots.

paddi22

Visit site
ah interesting, that makes sense, I figured there was a reason everyone was tendon boot-ied! I was just worried the weight or the fit would be detrimental to jumping heights. I'l happily keep popping around in them without shame so!

Shay

Visit site
XC boots fit slightly higher to offer greater cannon bone protection. I suspect - but have no personal evidence - that it might impede the rather extreme "tuck up" that SJ'rs need over 1.20 / 1,40. XC hinds are absolutely too high. The poor horse would never get its hinds high enough to meet the different fence configuration in pure SJ. XC SJ phases just don't have the extremes of turns and short strides pure SJ horses deal with. But the main reason for an open front is to allow the horse to feel a knock. In affiliated classes poles are very light and with protection at the front as well they simply won't know they hit anything. It isn't about protecting them - a reaosnable venue will have decent poles which won't cause any harm at all. More about allowing them to feel where there has been an error and correct that. Even eventers SJ in open front boots.

SmallSteps

Visit site
Which is exactly why I SJ in them too. I care more about keeping my horse's legs clean and him sound long-term than I do about having the odd pole.

(Not directed at you ihate)

lol. Generally the problem with XC boots are:
1) they exceed the weight limits (therefore but too much strain on the horses' legs)
2) they overheat the legs (therefore putting too much strain on the tendons)

If jumping a second round (or age class) you will be disqualified if your boots exceed size and weight limits, otherwise they are allowed.

ETA: forgot to say elasticated straps also not allowed in second rounds or age classes (to avoid over-tightening)

paddi22

Visit site
any recomendations for reasonably priced ones that people would recommend?
Premiere equine ones have very solid kevlar ones, but my lad has odd shaped legs and the very solid moulded boots just never seem to sit right. If anyone had any recommendations i'd be very grateful

AFB

Visit site
lol. Generally the problem with XC boots are:
1) they exceed the weight limits (therefore but too much strain on the horses' legs)

If jumping a second round (or age class) you will be disqualified if your boots exceed size and weight limits, otherwise they are allowed.

ETA: forgot to say elasticated straps also not allowed in second rounds or age classes (to avoid over-tightening)

That's interesting, I'm struggling to think of any boots with non-elasticated straps these days!

paddi22

Visit site

Just a query out of curiosity - i had always assumed xc boots would be less heating, as the pressure on tendons from a round of xc (harder ground, bigger jumps, longer rounds, more galloping) would be greater than from a round of sj. Is this not the case? I am no showjumping expert so am fairly clueless on the science of it, but would a sj round be more heating than an xc round?

ihatework

Visit site
Just a query out of curiosity - i had always assumed xc boots would be less heating, as the pressure on tendons from a round of xc (harder ground, bigger jumps, longer rounds, more galloping) would be greater than from a round of sj. Is this not the case? I am no showjumping expert so am fairly clueless on the science of it, but would a sj round be more heating than an xc round?

No, showjumping would be less.
But what you have to remember that the risk of injury xc is far higher, therefore protective booting is a trade off on risk.

Personally I see no value in cumbersome booting options for anything other than xc.

SJ/dresssage - it’s in the horses best interests to learn where to put its legs!

ihatework

Visit site
As an event err do you sj in Xc boots or nothing?

The vast majority of eventers will jump in open fronted tendon boots.
Some use hind fetlocks, some don’t.

I don’t recall seeing anyone sj in xc boots, but I expect the odd person does.