XC day today - breathing tips?

cheekywelshie

Visit site
So I sniffed some lavender and rosemary (which do seem to work on calming) and now im considering what else I can do to get round the course in one piece. That's after the roads and tracks, steeplechase and more roads and tracks!

I read somewhere that breathing through your nose and out through the mouth is much better for lung capacity - i end up gasping for breath and my chest tightens - but i am breathing solely through my mouth so maybe that is part of the problem? I posted about this a few weeks ago but as the day is here just thought i'd see if anyone has any feedback on breathing!!!

Four hours to go!

be positive

Visit site
I tried humming The Archers theme tune last time but found it didn't help my breathing! Or maybe that was the tune..:p

Humming will not help your breathing, you need to breathe through your nose to open your lungs humming will do the opposite, on the R&T give the horse some good pats, it will help you relax and stop your shoulders from tensing, on the xc take a deep breath as you land after each fence, say good boy to open your mouth at the same time, a few pats on the way round will also help.
Have fun, you are allowed to enjoy yourself!!!!

Vanha12

Visit site
Same as tips for breathing whilst running - concentrate on the out breath and your in-breath will take care of itself. Just trying to take deep breaths can make matters worse. Trying to 'look long' and relax the eye is also a great way to relax body and breathing. Long term, get hold of one of the Amanda Kirtland-Page CDs - they are targeted at jumping and xc relaxation techniques and are really helpful.

LillyBeth

Visit site
probably no help now as I imagine you're riding atm! But yes breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth is the way forward, whenever I think I just cannot run another step I just keep focusing on my breathing and it keeps me alive haha.