XC fence at Home Farm Alconbury

Puppy

Visit site
I was thinking of entering the HT at Alconbury on the 6th Oct, but was pre-warned by a friend that sometimes the courses there aren't very well designed/horse friendly. Prompted by this I have just looked on the unaffiliated XC courses FB page and I'm a little bit freaked out to find this as the 5th fence in the 90 class:

563233_10150978305984325_1909103968_n_zps13f896c1.jpg
[/URL]

403571_10150978305089325_1423386601_n_zpsb54cef6b.jpg
[/URL]

543333_10150978301744325_167129619_n_zps7d7e9189.jpg
[/URL]

Does anyone know how it rode on the day?

Call me a wuss, but I really don't like the look of it!

Puppy

Visit site
Surely that should be jumped the other way with the ditch behind the rail...eeek.

Oh gosh no, you wouldn't want a ditch on your landing side!

I been told no one jumped it well all day, and there were some crashing falls where horses misread the question.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Hmm, at an unaff ht I always find a tactical 'oops I missed a fence' manpurvere can often come in handy, but not sure it's possible there. Can imagine it would jump ok if you're on an older horse used to hunting or competing at a higher level, but that's not something I'd like o see on a 90 course.

Sometimes unaff ht really need you to break put the brown trousers don't they :p

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Looks like the fence builder stuffed up to me.. Should have built the take off closer to the rail. And as the rail is supported by trees and I'm assuming has no pins (yes, I know they don't have to) something could rotate over it? Maybe it's the photo angle but looks a bit stiff for an unaff 90.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I am one of the organisers for this show, and can say that 1) they have altered this fence so it is now more friendly, 2) that this fence will be in the 95cm (open class) only. And 3) I don't think the fence is that bad if you look up and not at the ditch! Lol, any more questions then just ask me :) * waves to H-a-C will see you on the sixth*

ETA that fence for when the pic was taken was from the PC HT in the spring not the RC one.

DollyPentreath

Visit site
I am one of the organisers for this show, and can say that 1) they have altered this fence so it is now more friendly, 2) that this fence will be in the 95cm (open class) only. And 3) I don't think the fence is that bad if you look up and not at the ditch! Lol, any more questions then just ask me :) * waves to H-a-C will see you on the sixth*

ETA that fence for when the pic was taken was from the PC HT in the spring not the RC one.

That is great to read! It's always nice to hear that when a fence has claimed one too many scalps it has been changed.

Puppy

Visit site

Well that's saved me an email :)

Thanks, Shortstuff. I'm really relieved to hear I can enter and not face that fence. I've been sent some photos by someone showing me how horses were misreading the question and however bold and brave our mare is, I don't want to ask her an unfair/unclear question.

Maybe I'll see you on the 6th :) Thanks again.