Xc in two reins

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yay/Nay
I honestly think it will benefit my coloured XCing in two reins, have hunted like this before but should I XC off of 2reins or am I just creating more hard work and hand faff for myself?

RunToEarth

Visit site
They would be used on the American gag, I feel that its just too mean to use only the bottom rein, and I cant get the sufficient on the top rein alone, and I dont really like to use roundings. Thankyou for your opinions, I was tossing and turning it over in my head, but I feel better riding him off of the top rein until I need the bottom one, so itwould make sense. Was ultimately going to SJ in two also, dont know how tricky it would be though.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Its not tricky and the more you do the better you will get.

There is a lot to be said for being able to do a gentle half halt on the snaffle rein rather than slamming on the brakes in XC -much better for keeping a rythm.

EllieBeast

Visit site
i have done so, but now prefer roundings. it was fine when jumping smaller courses, but now the stakes are raised (along with the jumps!) and i started to find i was faffing too much after the big drops/steps etc. I could still do it, but my horse and i are very happy with the current arrangement. Try it and see! although i would recommend slip reins (with a loop that acts like a toggle so that you can shorten the curb rein to keep it out of the way, and so if it does get accidentally dropped, it is easily gathered.

Chex

Visit site
I use roundings now too. I found two reins to mush hassle, especially if I dropped them for a skijump or drop, and he shot off at a mad gallop before I could regather them again (not good in a combination etc). Although thats probably just due to my bad riding lol

RunToEarth

Visit site
No I have done xc many times in roundings and I dont really rate them, I cant get what I need, my horse is not strong between his fences, but does need constant steadying, for this I dont want to be jabbing at his mouth, rather use my snaffle rein to steady him, and my bottom rein when he becomes a little too fizzy, which unfortunately is part of package with him.
Thankyou CotswoldSJ, this is what my mum said when I first mentioned it, I thought it might prove difficult somewhere like an SJ course, but watching a rider in the World Quals yesturday ride from two reins I saw it in a different light, it would be so much better on my horse if I could do this, and perhaps on my riding? x

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thats fair enough, all horses and riders require differant equipment and setups. My roundings are on the snaffle and middle holes of a mullenmouth (Happy mouth) continental gag. and my horse is fantastic in it, no pulling, no need for constant reminders. and listens at the slightest touch when xc, so each to their own. i agree that an american gag would be better with two reins, as a single rein action is pretty severe, and the points are quite far apart for roundings anyways.

Weezy

Visit site
Deffo!

Best tip I can give (something I have ALWAYS done) is to have each rein made from a different set up - my prefered is plain on snaffle and plaited on curb but for hunting I would use rubber on snaffle and plain on curb

RunToEarth

Visit site
Usually when I am hunting I have both rubbered- bottom thinner than tops. This is because he gets very sweaty and reins slipping through my fingers have been a huge problem in past times- I try not to wear gloves unless it is bitter cold as I like to feel my rein. I dont like having two rubber reins of equal thickness, to me this is silly, do you think webbing ones would offer much grip? Obviously for something such as showjumping I would put plain back on bottom ring, as I dont need too much touch on that bottom rein.

Chex

Visit site
I used to use black rubber reins for the snaffle ring, and red rubber reins for the lower rein - I remembered red for emergency brake! I use shorter reins for the lower rein too.

Weezy

Visit site
WEbbing is good - I just like a totally different feel so I dont need to look hence using very different feel reins, plus I would find 2 sets of rubber covered reins VERY cumbersome

KatB

Visit site
Ive hunted both my boys in two reins, cobby in a double, and G in an english gag with two reins. IMO, hunting is more "hectic" than XC, so if your comfortable hnting, go for it XC!! You can only try and see
smile.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I ride in 2 reins for showjumping and the little bit of XC that we do (I say little
grin.gif
) and I have to say I have found that it makes the world of diference.

Pride sounds quite similar to your horse in that it is not a constant struggle at the time just simply some times a need a little extra. Since using the two reins I find I can now ride off the top rein and only use ths advantage of the second one when needed. I also totally agree with Weezy on the two diffenent types of rein, I usually like to have the curb rein a little smaller than the snaffle. I currently use webbed reins too and I find then great!

Best of Luck
cool.gif

Tempi

Visit site
i x country/showjump/hunt/hack Bloss in a french link rugby pelham (with flash) on two reins and a martingale/breastplate.

Its the only thing that works with her when she gets strong and silly. when shes being good however i just ride off the 'snaffle' rein and let the curb rein go loose.

lalalalala

Visit site
I'm glad you asked cause I need to know too!

I do dressage in one rein and a snaffle, and sj in two reins and a pelham and was wondering whether it would be better to go xc in two reins, and have the control, or pelham with roundings and have the simplicity.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I do pretty much everything on Storm in a mullen mouth pelham and 2 reins, riding with one rein now just feels weird. The more you get used to the 2 reins the easier it becomes and I find that I don't faff at all now.