XC jumps IN water - advice/tips, please?

HotToTrot

Visit site
Afternoon. I have been doing some course-stalking and there appears to be A Jump In The Water at Keysoe this weekend. Just... sitting there, minding its own business, without a care in the world.

Now. I have jumped into and out of water but I have never done AJITW! My plan of action is as follows. Look at TJITW as soon as I spy the tricky little thing; so come into the water riding at it, rather than waiting until after I am in to think about it. My mare backs off water like nobody's business at the best of times, so I will aim for a strong, bouncy canter, probably get a tentative trot instead, keep her super balanced, kick like billy-o if she backs off too much and sit up!

Does anyone have any (more technical) advice on riding these JITW? Anything else to think about?

Cashew nuts and balsamic vinegar for all responses..... Thank you!!

kerilli

Visit site
If she's in trot, absolutely do NOT chase for canter, just get a good positive trot and let her sort herself out to it, don't try to see a stride etc - just balance, engage, and let her own the fence. that's what i was taught and it has never failed me, including at fairly big jumps in water and huge double step out of water to arrowhead on an Advanced track. mare trotted happily to them and powered up out of trot, no problem.
getting a good transition to canter in water, with the drag etc, isn't easy...
i saw a friend have a v v annoying stop at the log in water at Weston Park 1* years ago because horse landed in trot and she tried to chase him to canter, got there all strung out and he just couldn't take off.
hope that helps, good luck!

Saratoga

Visit site
Best thing to do is try and pretend the water isn't there! Once you are in the water ride it like any other fence.

Agree with Kerilli though if you hit the water in trot probably best to stay in trot, but a good positive powerful trot, rather than try and chase the canter.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Thank you both, that is really helpful. My instinct may well have been "MUST CANTER" but staying in a good trot makes far more sense. I hadn't really thought about that! Thank you!

mrussell

Visit site
OOhh yes... we jumped that at the weekend (roll top on bank to hanging log in the water) and it rode quite nicely. Good luck on Saturday !!

doratheexplorer

Visit site
Definitely stick in a good powerful trot and focus at the otherside of the fence and let your horse get on with it!!

If in doubt sit up and provide encouragement in as many ways a possible!!!

mrussell

Visit site
The log in question is pictured here..
http://www.keysoe.com/k22011n.htm

We did the roll top in the PN course thats directly before the log but I notice its just the log on Saturday.

Water was quite deep on Sunday so coming too quickly caused a lot of splash. Nice bouncy canter if youve got one... if not a forward trot for sure. Hubby jumped it from trot first couple of times and it was definately do-able.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Thank you! Mrussell, good to know that it jumped well. Farma from here has requested a pic of me falling off in the water, so Team Camera have been asked to position themselves there to catch the comedy.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I'm in control sat, so please stay on else we may run late and I'd love to get hone at some point! Good luck can't wait to have a school over that as my mare loves water!

It's ok, I am one of the first to go, so you'll have plenty of time to catch up! Shall I wave at you so you know it's me?