XC overreach boots recommendations

spacie1977

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a cross country overreach boot for a 17.2h horse with big feet?
I had some by Mark Todd but they were very chunky and the outer material was like Velcro picking up every bit of grit & loose grass going. They also retained a lot of water so weren't particularly well designed for puddles and ponds.
Anyway, they were trashed on Sunday as my horse overreached and caught his front shoe. The shoe got half ripped off, twisted and stuck up through the boot. Now the boot is stretched with a large hole in it.
I've got Premier Equine air cooled event boots which I'm happy with so was wondering if I should try their kevlar overreach boots too. Or can anyone recommend any other overreach boots good for XC? One problem I'm finding is there doesn't seem to be many around that are large enough for him as he wears XF/XL in everything.

HBBambee

Visit site
The thought of riding with O/R boots going XC fills me with fear...they are just potential tripping up disasters, but that is my personal preference.
My sister had the PI O/R and they tend to turn around a lot even with the heal bulb in the back so the horse wasn't protected at all.
I would choose a pair that are quite robust, I love these and something I would feel safe going XC in as no flappy bits: http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Veredus---Carbon-Shield-Overreach-Boot-AE568133.html#SID=499

dianchi

Visit site
Personally I like good old pull on rubber ones, if she gets in trouble they will break and they don't cost a fortune!

suzi

Visit site
I opt for fairly cheap unbranded ones I buy on eBay. Horse is chunky but not tall and these are the best I have found length wise on him. Others are too long.

The neoprene also breaks/ tears if he does stand on it but unless it's a massive rip they still keep their shape and bits don't flap off them.

spacie1977

Visit site
The thought of riding with O/R boots going XC fills me with fear...they are just potential tripping up disasters, but that is my personal preference.
My sister had the PI O/R and they tend to turn around a lot even with the heal bulb in the back so the horse wasn't protected at all.
I would choose a pair that are quite robust, I love these and something I would feel safe going XC in as no flappy bits: http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Veredus---Carbon-Shield-Overreach-Boot-AE568133.html#SID=499

Thank you for the suggestion. I've seen these before and they do look snazzy and look as though there's no chance of them moving... but gulp! How much!
I've just googled them and have found an old thread about them here http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...nt-Today-SJ-Caused-By-Overreach-Boots#4657729 which is making me think second twice about them. Maybe it's safer to not use any over reach boots for XC. He doesn't over reach too often so it might be better to not bother and just risk the occasional cut. I'll still want something though for lunging and school work.