XC pairs - first time help

littlefluffball

Visit site
I have been asked to take part in a (very low level - I'll be paired with a child/young teenager) xc pairs session.

I used to do a bit of local level XC but not for a few years and never in pairs! What do I wear?

Also how does the scoring work for pairs? Presumably I will be the lead rider (responsible adult??o_O)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Our local ones tend to have a bogey time on them, also most have a 'dressing fence' where you jump together side by side (excellent for photos!). Go through start and finish together if you can as timing will be from when 1st passes the start to the last one crossing the finish.
Otherwise exactly the same as what you have done before on your own.

Discuss 1st as to who will be going in front, or if you need to take it in turns, find out if your partner has any 'problem' fences.

Ref dress code, apart from the usual xc mandatory body protector and approved crash hat, maybe for fun you and other rider can have matching coloured long sleeved tops and hat covers. A lot of riders do 'match' colour wise, even saddle cloths and equine boots. There is nothing to say you have to match tho!

Hope you have a good time! :)

Chippers1

Visit site
As above, when I've done XC pairs we sort of discuss on the way round. My old pony was super confident so I would go in front but if my pair wanted ago she just shouted and I let her go forward. Now i'm more nervous and my new pony is a bit less confident so we follow and I will shout to go forward when I feel like we've picked up a bit. The first time I took my new one out with my pair (same pair who used to go with old pony) we came second and won the dressing fence!
I wear my xc colours and she wears hers but they don't match. Enjoy yourself, it's so much fun!

littlefluffball

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am very very very nervous eek!!! Been so long and laways very low level. I have booked a couple of jumping lessons on the pony I will have for the course (one of my instructors young schooling horses) but I don't think there is much more I can do to prepare! As a child I would have just went for it but I seem to have gained nerves and fear with age! I have also just thought I don't have a skull cap. Am I right in saying rules still state no fixed peak hat? I only have the velvet show hat type. Better get shopping!