XC Preparation

vivhewe

Visit site
I've crazily agreed to do a Hunter trial on Dan at the end of September and so I'm thinking I need to start preparing now
crazy.gif

So what do I need to do? He is fairly fit but I still think he would benefit from a blast up the hill every day, and from now on no railway sleeper, electric pole or other wooden object will be safe!
grin.gif

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance
smile.gif
x

SillyMare

Visit site
If he is fairly fit then I wouldn't worry too much - you could hurt his legs working him too hard on this ground.

Make sure you get in plenty of practice with water / ditches / banks - you can do all that without galloping round on hard ground. Depends what level you are entering, but may also be worth working on skinnies, corners and angles.

Otherwise don't worry about it - you will be fine.

vivhewe

Visit site
The ground here has softened up - it's rained for about a week!
grin.gif

The hill in my field isn't too bad anyway but I will look after his legs - he's going to need them!
wink.gif

I'm doing the Mini Novice class - Max height 2'3" - I still think I will sh:t myself though!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Don't worry as the class height is nice and small so it shouldn't take much out of him. As long as you ride him regularily then he should be fit enough. Of course a gallop up the hill nown and again is fine (when the ground is ok). I wouldnt worry much about practicing skinnies, ditches etc. because you wont find many at that level. But obviously you should practice water and the usual type of fences.