XC rounds how many is acceptable?

splash30

Visit site
I've been fence judging today at a local cross country event, and was very suprised to see horses appear up to 3 times doing different classes ranging from 2'3" to 3'3" is this normal?
Back in my day we used to do one class and be happy at that, of course this is only my opinion but I'm just interested to know when it became more acceptable.

splash30

Visit site
It was just XC, I can just about understand 2 rounds, as one horse who was a piglet when on his own, went round the pairs later so to give it a lead and make it a positive round.

TGM

Visit site
I suppose it depends on the length of the course and the nature of the terrain!

I must say two rounds seems to be the norm at most hunter trials round here - people tend to do one pairs class and one single, or a smaller class and a higher one.

lisab

Visit site
I've never been in more than once and nor would I.

But it does seem to happen more these days - 1 girl I regularly see does (and wins) the unaff 85cm, the 90cm Amateur and the BN at my local BSJA show.

That's different from XC of course but I certainly wouldn't do more than 2 classes SJ or more than 1 class XC. Doesn't seem fair on the horse. Not to mention the pocket!