XC Schooling at Somerford

jess_asterix

Visit site
Here is a vid of us at Somerford, pretty much in the order we did things minus the warming up as the video was getting very long! CC Welcome, I'm in need of a lesson!

Also any tips for jumping downhill to skinnies and we were struggling to stay straight and took a flag out twice but we were ok when jumping the same fence from on the flat.

[youtube]iJ4RawOOxmI[/youtube]

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Brilliant video Somerford looks excellent. We are going for a camp in may and I was panicking all the fences be too big but looks like a good range

PorkChop

Visit site
Really lovely, and he improved throughout :) You were asking about skinnies, and staying straight. I noticed on a couple of the skinny jumps you could have stayed straighter after the jump, think about riding to a point in the distance. Don't know if that will help you, but you are doing a fab job, good luck for the season.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Brilliant video Somerford looks excellent. We are going for a camp in may and I was panicking all the fences be too big but looks like a good range

Our rc camp has some very novices and there is loads for them to jump there, don't worry.

ps Jess_A I think you looked great. He looked bold as brass and unphased by anything, and I liked your quiet riding and lower leg. Looks like you will have some fun this year!

Last edited:

jess_asterix

Visit site
He looks awesome! Are you planning on doing some novices this year? You both look way more than capable! :)

Thanks, yes definitely need to get Badminton out the way first then crack on with some Novices!

Looking pretty good to me, good luck for the season :)

Thank you :)

Wow! You 2 look great! I think you are a lovely rider, really nice & balanced

Somerford is fab, I love it. There are loads of fences to choose from :)

Really lovely, and he improved throughout :) You were asking about skinnies, and staying straight. I noticed on a couple of the skinny jumps you could have stayed straighter after the jump, think about riding to a point in the distance. Don't know if that will help you, but you are doing a fab job, good luck for the season.

Thank you, yes he did settle abit he didn't like all the other horses being around him! Yes that is a good point thank you :)

No jumping crit from me obv,but you look a lovely partnership and really in balance and confident:)

Our rc camp has some very novices and there is loads for them to jump there, don't worry.

ps Jess_A I think you looked great. He looked bold as brass and unphased by anything, and I liked your quiet riding and lower leg. Looks like you will have some fun this year!

Thank you, he is incredibly bold he just loves the job. Hopefully we will :D

Javabb94

Visit site
How fantastic does he look!

Best of luck for the season he is eating up those fences :D

Scope certainly isn't a problem and you look like a great partnership :)

jess_asterix

Visit site
You both look great - he really loves his xc!! Also loved the music choice!!

Thank you, he does. Love JT!

What a brilliant video - you both look great! Good luck this season :)

Thank you, hopefully Somerford will go well!

How fantastic does he look!

Best of luck for the season he is eating up those fences :D

Scope certainly isn't a problem and you look like a great partnership :)

Thanks, no he has plenty of jump and I seem to be learning how to ride him better now :)

TableDancer

Visit site
Fantastic video, you know I love him ;) and you look such a team nowadays :)

A couple of tips: 1) Did you notice that as you jumped the corner coming towards the camera, you were really crooked on the approach, basically, you never finished your turn properly so he was bulging put through his shoulder all the way in - it didn't cause a problem, he jumped it beautifully and straightened himself out in the air, but it is something to watch as it could get you into difficulties one day...

2) At the big ditch palisade you did that classic thing of hooking, looking for your spot then firing :D It was better the second time, but still a bit panicky ;) You need to practise keeping your hands low to that sort of fence, NOT looking for a spot just sitting up and riding forward, looking over the top of the fence. You'll get a much better feel, and it takes the pressure off you finding the perfect spot. Again, he jumped it fab but something less bold would have taken their cue from your hooking and when you said "GO" you might not have got such a positive response ;)

Can't comment on the drop/crookedness issue as didn't see the episodes concerned, all I would say is that they do sometimes drift a bit down a drop, you just have to feel it quickly and react quickly to push them back on their line with your leg...

I think you are goong to have a fabulous season together, best of luck! You are a good advertisement for the debate onthat other thread about making sure you have ticked every box and are well prepared before you go eventing :)

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
Brill vid! I don't even have a massive interest in eventing but he looks super!

Great partnership and he looks like he has a lot of trust in you! Eats them fences up and you both look super confident :)

Good luck at somerford at weekend