XC training - who & where, Midlands?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I feel I need some more XC training. I have plenty of flatwork and SJ training but don't have much XC training. I've done some BE80s this year and 2 90s, schooling over 90-100cm. My horse is bold and genuine, and he doesn't really have an "issues", ie he isn't ditchy, he's fine with water, steps, skinnies basically as long as he has time to work out what the fence is and I'm saying yes, jump, he jumps. My last XC training session was at Somerford in March and I've been schooling once since then too, in between events. All have been successful, we have (*touch wood* and hoping I don't jinx it!) been clear jumping at every event bar the odd time penalty occasionally.

So basically horse is great but I want some guidance and to spend some time working on me. Having watched back a video of my event on Saturday, I'm doing too much. I appreciate XC riding isn't about sitting pretty and looking stylish, but I have a v genuine horse and I feel like I'm quite messy. I did the 90cm at LandS Eventing, Offchurch, on Saturday and we were clear inside the time XC but the twisty, turny course over technical fences on undulating ground showed up the holes. We are fine over a fast, big galloping course (Stafford, Berriewood, e.g.) but my control and pace to more technical fences need some work. It isn't the actual fences, it's more that I'd like some tuition regarding my approach, my canter and most of all, my position. Does that make sense?

I'm based near Shrewsbury and wondering where to go, and who to, for some training? My local course is Berriewood but I've schooled and competed there enough times now that horse knows where he is and where he's going. I could do with going somewhere with quite a lot of technical fences which require more thinking about, as that's what I want to address. What about Lincomb? I'm happy to travel but Somerford is too far to go again, so somewhere within about an hour of Shrewsbury. Who do you recommend? Last session was with Andrew Heffernan whose teaching style I actually really liked as he was very analytical.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Jonquil Hemming? No personal expereince but know she is your area.

I did a BE80 guided XC course walk with her at one of my events actually and do know a few people who go to her, so maybe. I guess it depends on how far she'll travel. Bryony Wilson has been suggested but I've no experience of her, though I think she teaches at Lincomb quite frequently.

millitiger

Visit site
Lincomb is a super schooling venue- my trainer goes there regularly and I would highly recommend- pm me if you want contact details :)

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Jonquil is fab, 100% recommend! I'm having a XC lesson at BW next week, she does travel around and is a somerford a fair bit, maybe worth contacting her to see when she is up there?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Jonquil is fab, 100% recommend! I'm having a XC lesson at BW next week, she does travel around and is a somerford a fair bit, maybe worth contacting her to see when she is up there?

Thanks - I might contact JH to see if she goes to Lincomb. Somerford is too far really as best part of 2 hours, but if I go up there I'll go to Andrew Heffernan again as loved my lesson with him.
Have fun at BW, I like it there and pony loves it :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks - I did think of Kelsall but my usual instructor (doesn't/ can't travel much hence looking for someone else for XC) said it's along the lines of Stafford, big gallopy type fences and I'd really like somewhere with more technical stuff. How do you find Kelsall?