XC video - a great learning tool

Jnhuk

Visit site
Not pretty but a lot safer than some I have seen.

What actual struck me was the horse did not look that unhappy about the things that the rider was doing on board.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
The rider is very light and the horse pretty chunky and looks a laid back character so I think that probably helps.

BlueCakes

Visit site
I can't see anything so wrong with that video, apart from the odd catching it in the mouth and some lines which could have been better, which would have prevented the first refusal. The fences are 2ft high so this is obviously a novice class, and when you're nervous mistakes like that are easy to make. The horse isn't very forward going, so the rider looks asthough she is sitting back to encourage the horse on till the point of no return to ensure it jumps the fence. This is my horse all over! A fit honest horse with a canter in a set rhythm, which was liable to a stop if you had an ounce of doubt. Coming into a fence used to feel like a leap of faith and he would need that very last second encouragement. It's very difficult to get your timing right and your balance correct on something that doesn't take you forward in the first place. I actually think it's a fairly nice round. Poor person who's put their video on youtube because they are probably very proud of it.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have deliberately chosen a US site with over 900 videos. It has also been made public. This is affiliated competition over 80cm. It's not horrific in any way (chosen for those reasons) but has lots of common mistakes and I think an excellent tool to learn as there would be outcry if I used a worse video based in the UK.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
LEC - great example of a fairly typical BE80/lower standard BE90 rider. Certainly not an intrinsically bad rider, and the horse appears to be pretty happy bumbling along. But it just frustrates you because you think with a bit more work, and particularly with a bit more fitness, the combination *could* look quite good.

There are lots of easily fixable things here...

The run-out was poor presentation and lack of quick reaction in keeping the horse straight.

The canter was underpowered all the way round. Possibly horse not v fit. He is not in front of the leg, this should really be a fundamental before going XC.

The rider was clearly lacking fitness. Far too much time spent sitting in the saddle between fences.

Her position, although not bad over a fence, lacked security and gave the impression that if something went minorly wrong she would probably not stay on board.

Several occasions her ability to shorten and lengthen reins looked poor.

This is exactly what I was trying to point out - its not terrible horsemanship, and there is nothing horrific going on, it's just there is so much that could be a lot better, and could be fixed in a schooling environment, rather than competing at this stage. Just my opinion though!

siennamum

Visit site
I am dumbfounded if that is a typical BE 80/90 rider. It isn't my experience at all tbh. I think it is a quiet, though slightly ineffective novice rider, who has a fab schoolmaster doing it's job. I don't think I've ever seen anyone affifliated riding like that.

j1ffy

Visit site
Siennamum - I thought the same as you. The rider does look fairly novice and looks like they're show-jumping round (not a xc canter, sitting in the saddle rather than 2-point seat). It's years since I've been xc but I've watched low-level BE events when volunteering and also had a look at some BE90 videos and it looked very different - xc pace, bum out of the saddle etc.

OP and Rachelferd - it is educational and makes me think that maybe I could give xc a go after all ;). But I wouldn't want to compete unless I could maintain a strong canter in two-point seat and happily jump out of the canter rhythm. The idea of going around a course of solid fences without the basics is terrifying! I agree that the round isn't unsafe but a little more training would massively improve the picture and the effectiveness.

Lolo

Visit site
I saw plenty of identical riding last weekend at Isleham.

This... I'd say this was fairly standard riding for a BE80/ 90 person (and I am that level, if not lower, and I know a lot of her faults were my faults too!).

I think people don't watch themselves back critically often enough. I/ my mum video every single round/ test/ lesson Al does as far as possible because when she gets home she will then spend evenings sitting and watching, freezeframing/ slow-moing and analysing what she' doing at various points. It means she's hugely self-aware, and so when she rides she knows what she looks like. She also watches as many vids on youtube as possible, because you can learn a lot from them- especially of 'nomal' riders like her. It just doesn't seem to be something people do though?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I am dumbfounded if that is a typical BE 80/90 rider. It isn't my experience at all tbh. I think it is a quiet, though slightly ineffective novice rider, who has a fab schoolmaster doing it's job. I don't think I've ever seen anyone affifliated riding like that.

I'm amazed as well.

The rider looks totally exhausted, fitness looked to me to be the biggest issue. If you are fit to ride the course then you keep your balance easier and use legs effectively.

Dukey

Visit site
This... I'd say this was fairly standard riding for a BE80/ 90 person (and I am that level, if not lower, and I know a lot of her faults were my faults too!).

I think people don't watch themselves back critically often enough. I/ my mum video every single round/ test/ lesson Al does as far as possible because when she gets home she will then spend evenings sitting and watching, freezeframing/ slow-moing and analysing what she' doing at various points. It means she's hugely self-aware, and so when she rides she knows what she looks like. She also watches as many vids on youtube as possible, because you can learn a lot from them- especially of 'nomal' riders like her. It just doesn't seem to be something people do though?

I wouldn't say it's standard level for a BE80/90. If I rode like that on my 6yo I would be on the deck! He's doing BE90... I would say 90% of riding at this level is safe, people at the level are still learning and progressing so undoubtedly there would be the odd mistake, but they're a few that that I would say are like the video. Both horse/rider look tired. However, in the riders defence I had a horse once who was very honest xc but lazy at some events I felt like I was lifting him over every jump and was exhausted at the end of the course (horse was fully fit). The horse in this video looks the same but still no excuse for not getting up off the horse back. Also had to close my eyes to watch her 'wobbles' I wanted to shout heels down, shoulders back, kick! :p

Tonks

Visit site
LEC - great example of a fairly typical BE80/lower standard BE90 rider!

Not sure about the 80's but I'm always pretty encouraged by the BE90 standard of riders at competitions. Its most certainly a lot better than BS or BD lower levels. I personally think, that if you were competiting like the rider in the video at a BE 90 you would stand out, especially with some of the pros competiting their youngsters/stock they have for sale.

To me, she looks like an unafilliated rider. The video is a useful tool but I was utterly exhusted after watching it!! I suppose welfare is the issue with novices at that height but with the horse's willingness they didn't seem too out of their depth. Fittness was a big issue however, especially for the rider.

Charem

Visit site
I didn't watch all of it but from what I saw whilst the rider was obviously unfit and not the tidiest of jockeys the horse seemed a very genuine sort who just bumbled along in a nice albeit slow rhythm. At no point did I cringe or think that they were an accident waiting to happen.

Had that rider been on a less honest/experienced horse it might have been a different story.

charlimouse

Visit site
I wouldn't say this was standard riding at BE80/90 level, however I have seen a handful who do ride like this, upto and including BE100 level. Most often it seems to be people who have these wonderful, safe schoolmasters who just carry them round, and generally these people are at least over 25. Personally I wouldn't be happy riding round a course of SJ's, let alone XC if I was that wobbly. But each to their own, if they are enjoying themselves and the horse is safe and capable, who am I to say weather or not they should be competing at that level.

Horsemad12

Visit site
I fenced judged at Oasby yesterday for the BE100 and BE90 - I saw one rider getting close to this all day, the rest rode pretty well.

I am sorry but all I see on the video is a novice rider on a good schoolmaster having a go and hopefully enjoying themselves.