yard A or B?

Austen123

Visit site
So i have decided to move back to an assisted DIY from full livery.. a few things havent been up to standard, very thin beds, feet not picked out, running out of hay by 8pm and my work are very good and allow you to finish early as long as you make up the time in the evening. the question is, which yard!!

Yard A
7.3 miles
• 60 x 20m all weather floodlight school with mirrors
• Full set of jump for joy jumps
• XC style fences and show jumps set out on grass in summer
• Horse walker
• Separate wash/clip box with hot water and solarium lights
• Feed storage areas
• Secure tack room with CCTV
• Kitchen area with table, tea/coffee, microwave and fridge
• All year grazing with individual turn out in mains electric paddocks
• Free lorry/trailer parking on hard standing
• Small off road hacking/canter track on premises
• Yard owners live on-site
• On site qualified instructor
• Regular clinics and competitions
slightly more expensive
menu choice of assisted livery

here are my pros and cons on this yard
Pros - good well maintained school good jumps big stable horse walker clinics on site any instructor
Cons - individual turnout hacking not as good further away - 12-15mins slightly more expensive

yard B
5.8 miles
- indoor school 20x50m
- full course of jumps, but not as good condition
- gallops with a few xc jumps
-secure tackroom
- all year grazing in small herds
- good hacking
- people who offer assisted DIY and horse can go onto full livery option on day rate when im away with work.
- slightly cheaper
- yard is more unkept than the one above
- lorry/trailer parking

here are my pros and cons
Pros - good hacking any instructor inside school good distance from home good turnout friends at yard slightly cheaper
Cons - yard is scruffy inside school can get hot and stuffy on hot summer days not as good facilities

HELP!

BOWS28

Visit site
As much as we would all love to be on an immaculately kept 'Carl Hester' type yard with top facilities, if it doesn't not offer the basic things that will keep your horse happy and settled, whats the point??
Personally I would go with yard B as my horse will not be turned out alone. I also think its important for them to have social interaction with other horses in the field so they can really enjoy their time to be horse.
In the summer you can make the most of the good hacking and the days you need to school, do it either early in the morning or of a late evening. Plus it is closer to home which means more time with your pony!! :p

skint1

Visit site
All things considered I think I too would go for Yard B, on yard A if it's immaculate it might be really strict about sweeping and stuff like that, might not be so relaxing

gallopingby

Visit site
Depends how much you want to jump and to what standard. Good hacking def a pro. Would you need to use the indoor in summer? Although yard is scruffy it could be tidied? How much do you value facilities at yard A. Do they both have vacancies and whats their turnover like?

only_me

Visit site
Both sound fantastic, I think it basically boils down to how much you hack, if you prefer herd or individual turnout and how much cheaper second one is.

But then we just have road hacking here so am used to it and wouldn't bother me unless very fast or a popular cycle route lol

Austen123

Visit site
i do compete near enough every weekend. so i would still need to school in the summer. however, there is a jumping field in the summer and i could school in there on really hot days?

Annagain

Visit site
They both sound pretty good and if that's your choice I'd say you're pretty lucky! I'd probably go for yard B just because of the group turnout as my boy's a sociable chap and likes to go out with his friends. Would Yard A allow turnout in pairs if you and a fellow livery (if you could find one who aslo wanted to do it) could rotate your paddocks?

Austen123

Visit site
They both sound pretty good and if that's your choice I'd say you're pretty lucky! I'd probably go for yard B just because of the group turnout as my boy's a sociable chap and likes to go out with his friends. Would Yard A allow turnout in pairs if you and a fellow livery (if you could find one who aslo wanted to do it) could rotate your paddocks?

yes im sure they would. however i dont know anyone up there as of yet . currently at yard B there are 4 people i already know, so quite lucky in that respect :)

HeyMich

Visit site
Yard B for me too. The group turnout would be the deciding factor. Screw the tidiness - it'll give you permission to be messy occasionally too! And if there's plenty of fields to ride in in the summer, the warm indoor shouldn't be a problem. Good luck with it all x

eggs

Visit site
I would also go for yard B as I don't like individual turnout. I would want introductions to be properly managed though - not just chuck the horse in to an established herd and hope for the best.

I would also be looking at the state of fences and general security rather than being overly concerned about one yard being scruffy provided the upkeep was good.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Yard A. Individual turnout is safer, all year turnout and mains electric definite a good idea. School is bigger. And free lorry parking is a boon, we pay around 45p per day for parking so this will save you a good bit. Having good tea facilities when the weather is naff in the winter and you can all gather around a warm tea room for a natter is a boon believe me. You also have the chance to improve at Yard A more with the chance of comps and clinics. But then how much that would hamper your riding in the school would remain to me seen. The big con with Yard A for me would be the rubbish hacking. That said you could do as I do and approach the local pub and ask if you can park there with your trailer early one weekend morning in exchange for a fiver for the charity box and hack out from there.

Reactions: DD

Highflinger

Visit site
Yard B for me too - good hacking a great pro and frankly your horse won't care if it is scruffy - I am sure he will prefer the herd turnout!

Shooting Star

Visit site
I’d go for Yard B too as I refuse to keep any horse on individual turnout other than temporarily for injury recovery purposes.

Austen123

Visit site
Hi All, i had another look around both.
Yard B
Hacking is great
indoor has quite dim lighting at night. 19x45m . can set up a nice grid
the gate way to the field is already quite poached (but then im lucky that current full livery has hardcore down)
the yard its self is quite scruffy, but i need to get out of my head as it's not as if my horse will care!!
take 10mins to get there
stable is a good size
trailer parking is TIGHT! im confident at reversing so i hope its something i will just get used to!

Yard A
takes 13/14 mins
hacking is down a country road to get to bridleways
only have to stay in if fields are really wet and if weather bad turnout only for part of the day
the school is a great size wth lots of jump variety
lots of room for trailer parking

my usual routine is day off on monday, school tues, hack weds, school thurs, hack fri sat and sun lesson and compete. ideally a lesson in house

The Trooper

Visit site
Yard B for me, better hacking, indoor flood lit school (your eyes would adjust), slightly closer (half hour per week extra to spend with your horse and not travelling!). It may be scruffy but it sounds functional, function over form. Trailer parking shouldn't be a deal breaker, it will improve your driving :p .

Nasicus

Visit site
Yard A

only have to stay in if fields are really wet and if weather bad turnout only for part of the day
In my experience, 'really wet' tends to be more 'slightly damp' and the horses end up stuck in a lot more than promised. I understand why, but it's pretty frustrating when your decision to move there has been influenced by that.