Yard boot/footwear reccommendations!

Flying_Form

Visit site
Okay guys,
It definitely isn’t the time of year you’d expect someone to ask for wellie recommendations but welcome to the UK?

I manage my own livery yard and spend a lot of time either with wet feet or feet covered in muck and dirt because the yard shoes can’t keep up or hold up with the amount of work I put them through ? my current record of keeping a pair of yard boots/wellies in any way functional or wearable is just over a month if that puts it into perspective for you.

as a result I am in dire need of a new pair of yard shoes/wellies as, just as expected, my current pair are on their last legs.

my only requirements for your footwear recommendations are as follows:
- waterproof - this is a must. Catching horses in long wet grassy fields, walking into water jumps to try and find someone’s lost brushing boot, harrowing the arena in the pouring rain… honestly the list is endless so waterproof is very much a stipulation I won’t let down!! And when I say waterproof I mean I could stand in a child’s paddling pool full to the brim in these shoes and not a droplet of water will get in.

- no fleece lined or if they are it has to hold up. I can’t stand when the fleece lining comes loose and every time you put your foot in it’s a fight with the lining ?

- comfortable - I spend a good while on my feet so comfortable would obviously be ideal.

i don’t mind paying a bit extra for a good pair of wellies or yard boots if they’ll last me longer than three months. So whatever ideas you have please help me out!!

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
Chameau neoprenes have seen me through winter mucking out dog walking left in the garden over night there they’ve never let water in once x

View

Visit site
Grubbs Frostline - mine are now 6 years old. OK, I don’t wear them every day but they have done four winters of worn all day both days at weekend. Mud, water, fields, mucking out, teaching.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I had my last pair of Hoggs wellies for something like 8 years before they gave in. Admittedly didn't put them through the hardships you do, haha, but found them really comfy, practical and waterproof. I have now purchased another pair and am happy with those so far too. They are quite affordable as far as wellies go so perhaps aren't as hardy as Grubbs and others but I thought I'd mention them anyhow.

Flying_Form

Visit site
I had my last pair of Hoggs wellies for something like 8 years before they gave in. Admittedly didn't put them through the hardships you do, haha, but found them really comfy, practical and waterproof. I have now purchased another pair and am happy with those so far too. They are quite affordable as far as wellies go so perhaps aren't as hardy as Grubbs and others but I thought I'd mention them anyhow.
Sound good though! I’ll definitely be looking into them too thanks!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Skellerup boots! Neoprene lined. They’re ugly but they are waterproof, sturdy and keep my feet warm. (They are a farmers boot, slightly heavier but I don’t mind that)
I think mine are the Quattros

Maryann

Visit site
Watching with interest here as I am currently in worn out muckboots lined with plastic bags. The new muckboot models don't fit me and I am really hard on boots too.

Glitterandrainbows

Visit site
I wear cropped leggings like pedal pushers and a thin pair of long socks if I have to wear my wellies when it’s hot as you can’t see the gap but keeps me cooler they were from matalan and cheap as chips

JackFrost

Visit site
Look at Woden Tracker boots. Scandinavian non horsey manufacturer but absolutely waterproof, rubberised outer, cork insoles, grippy non slip soles and great for riding in. Retail at about £100 but well worth it.

k1994

Visit site
A nice budget option from a welly killer, Town And Country wellies! £29 they do look like a ‘hunters’ style dupe, you even get ones with memory foam. They’re super comfy, water/snow proof only wellies I’ve had that last me somehow haven’t killed then in the last 2 years which is a record! Can get on Amazon and in Dobbies garden Center.

JackFrost

Visit site
Well, I have ridden in nothing else since I got these 4 months ago, and find them excellent for my feet staying put in the stirrups on a young horse. There's enough heel that unless your stirrups are too big for you, your foot isn't going to slip through. The bottoms are quite thick and shock absorbing, which my knees like, and I find them good if you have to hop off on a hack into mud and rocks.
I see they also do a neon yellow hi viz version. Tempting...?

Last edited: