Yard dilemma!

Brockles77

Visit site
Hi everyone. I need some advice! I am currently at a yard which is a riding school. It is very busy, difficult to plan when the school is free, but has an indoor school and lots of rallies and lessons.
They are also good at organising clinics and the like.
The turnout is quite poor and on wet days they have to stay in because it’s slippy and in the winter it is pretty much a bug.
I went to look at a yard yesterday which is a smaller livery, has a good turnout but no indoor school. It has better turnout and they seem to go out whatever the weather.
Both yards are about half an hour + away, because I live in London. If anything the riding school is a little closer but it’s only by about 10 minutes.
Do I move to this livery yard and forfeit undercover riding, or stay at the riding school where communication is bad and they are there and turn out is mediocre? I can’t really ask anyone at my yard for advice or help with this issue because obviously, they are all there!
Oh. The second yard is also cheaper.

I guess a main query is, how do you cope with winter outdoor schooling?

Renvers

Visit site
Have turnout, you will use an indoor max an hour a day? It seems an easy choice to give your horse the few hours outside instead.

I left a yard with an indoor and hardly miss it, riding in the fresh air, even in a bit of rain is fine. You won't melt and can wear a coat.

sport horse

Visit site
Do you enjoy the clinics/lessons/rallies etc at your existing yard? Do you have your own transport to get to these types of event if you need to? If not how often would you want to go and what would be the cost of hiring transport? Is there company at the second yard? it is amazing how many people miss the companioship of a bigger yard.

Arzada

Visit site
I can’t really ask anyone at my yard for advice or help with this issue because obviously, they are all there!

I guess a main query is, how do you cope with winter outdoor schooling?

What would your horse prefer? Mine would choose turnout over any covered school. And here's a thing. Not many people who have horses at home have an indoor school.

SEL

Visit site
I moved from a RS with an indoor to livery yards with better turnout and outdoor schools - best decision I made. The only thing I miss is the RS had direct access to the bridlepaths without going on roads.

The RS was chaos at the weekends with lots of kids running around and you could never get in the school because it was obviously being used for lessons. I stopped enjoying going up there and given I work during the week that meant I wasn't enjoying my horses. Outdoors are fine if they are maintained well - invest in a decent coat and an exercise sheet!

saddlesore

Visit site
Turnout is a really big thing for me so I’d be looking to move, but whether the new yard suits would depend. Do they do all the same types of events as your current yard? Are there other people at the new yard who ride regularly and do similar things to you?

mini_b

Visit site
I’d move - for the turnout it’s a no brainer for me.

I’ve never had the luxury of anywhere undercover - or even a properly surfaced arena in some places.
Buy yourself some wet riding gear, once you’re wet it’s alright really.

Visit site
Giving up your indoor, to give your horse much better turnout, no brainer, new yard for me. Get some good waterproofs and you can always travel and hire an indoor if you’re desperate to ride indoors in the winter.

Brockles77

Visit site
Do you enjoy the clinics/lessons/rallies etc at your existing yard? Do you have your own transport to get to these types of event if you need to? If not how often would you want to go and what would be the cost of hiring transport? Is there company at the second yard? it is amazing how many people miss the companioship of a bigger yard.
I love the clinics and rallies - but I actually do have transport and am close to some other riding centres. There are a couple of people who jump and do XC and so on so I think there's company. But it's a big issue, yes!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would always choose turnout over a school! I have never had the luxury of being on a yard with an indoor school and since having the horses at home, we haven't had an artificial surface at all, we use the field if we can't do the schooling we want to do on hacks.

Greylegs

Visit site
Absolutely move. I have been on a yard with an indoor, but the quality of care my horse gets at my present yard, with a standard outdoor - much better turnout, being the main thing - more than makes up for the lack of a roof to school under!! And ... it really doesn't rain every day you know!! A warm coat and good gloves should see you right over the winter!

LegOn

Visit site
Definitely move! The worst part of being on a yard with limited or no turnout is just knowing you have to get up to your horse or work them every day because otherwise they are just stood in their stable!

I know we all love seeing our horses anyway but its a lovely feeling to have the 'guilt' lifted if you dont make it down or have something on - they have been out pottering around all day and just being a horse. It was a massive relief for me that I didnt even realise until it was gone!

throwawayaccount

Visit site
i'd go for the yard with turnout if you think your horse would be happier there :) as for riding in not-so ideal weathers, treat yourself to a good coat and an exercise sheet for your horse :)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
More turnout and less money? What are you waiting for!

I have looked at maybe 10 yards in Surrey and 5 in York and only 1 had an indoor school. You soon get used to riding outdoors and as someone else said it’s great experience for clinics/comps away from home where you can’t guarantee the weather/elements.

Flicker

Visit site
I used to be really squeamish about riding in weather until I started running. I am out in all weather and it now really doesn’t phase me at all - I’d far rather ride outdoors. Agree with the others, invest in some good all weather gear for you and your horse, a few good fleece rugs to dry him off after riding and enjoy being an all weather rider.
Just be sure to check the outdoor school has good floodlights before you move - nothing worse than riding in the dark!

Visit site
There's no such thing as bad weather; only bad clothes.

Personally I don't like indoor schools and am a great fan of as much t/o as possible so no brainer.

This is exactly what everyone says over here. If you’re cold, you’re not dressed for the weather. People ride over here, outdoors, shock horror in double minus figures. ?.