Yard distance misery

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I live in East London and am stabled about 30 mins away. Every night this week it’s been 35-40 mins each way. I’m shattered. Not left work before 6 any evening. Husband is waiting every night.

urgh. Just needed to rant

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I’m on full livery. Love the riding and the yard but not the commute! Nothing much closer, I’m in an awkward space, and we only bought our house recently!
just having a pity party tonight!

Caol Ila

Visit site
My filly's yard is half an hour away, which is tolerable, but it's going to become intolerable when COP26 hits Glasgow next month. They're cutting off 90% of motorway access in the city, and I need that motorway. It is going to be horrible.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used to have this long a commute to my horse. It was worth it for the fabulous facilities, but I did have 2 days a week off. It made it tolerable. He was simply turned out on those days. Did us both good.

Eventually we moved house so they are outside the back door. Of course, one became two :p

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When mine was in full livery with a similar commute I rode Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, to be home to be with the OH (my choice not his demand) the other evenings.

Is there a reason you are going every day?

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I have the same commute, and I'm DIY. Also, I presently don't have a car. I travel on my bike, moped, or lend a car. I find it tough sometimes, especially in winter time, always arriving in the dark after work and still having to do all the chores. But I did choose this yard for my horse, as he can live out year-round in a herd. I.m.o. this is the best I can give him, and that makes it worthwile. Most of the time. On the cold and very wet days, I am allowed to feel sorry for myself :p.

If I was on full livery, I'd definitely give myself a break, and give both the horse and myself one or two days of.

ETA: and yes, my relationship suffers a little bit because of this. Have not found a solution for this yet. Boyfriend is adamantly non-horsey.

Bernster

Visit site
Working in and around London, and now that lockdown is over and people are back in their offices, that could be pretty common sadly. I always google map it as it will sometimes take me a different route to avoid traffic. The m25 was carnage the other night and a 35 mins journey took me 1hr 15mins! Doesn’t happen often though and I’ve moved out of London now so it’s a bit more reliable.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I feel your pain - although the horse I’m going to isn’t even ridden .. He’s supposed to be turned away/retired and when we chose the livery it was on the basis that I’d only need to go a couple of times a week as he’s out 24/7 and being checked twice a day. However, he’s had a series of medical issues which mean I’ve been having to go up virtually every day for vet visits, bandage changing, applying creams, nebulising. On a good day with no traffic it takes 35-40 minutes - at the moment, it’s usually close to an hour each way and I’m exhausted. There are no yards with good 24/7 turnout any nearer so I’m a bit stuck

teddy_

Visit site
I sympathise. It was only the other day that I was wondering whether I am the only person who keeps their horse > 15 miles away from home. Seemingly not!

My boy is also in full livery but regardless, it's nice to go up as much as possible. After all, it does cost an arm and a leg! However, a 30 min (not allowing for traffic) drive each way a few times a week, on top of everything else people have to do in their day to day lives is draining.

I do believe, across the board there is a shortage of livery yards. In my area (East Sussex) assisted and DIY yards in particular are closing / being sold left right and centre, making livery harder to find generally.

I live in a rural area and still cannot find a yard to cater for mine and my horses requirements within any sensible distance, very frustrating.

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I enjoy riding him! I’m doing 5-6 times per week but maybe I need to reduce over winter!

I just wish there was somewhere more local - but then I love where I am and the facilities!

NinjaPony

Visit site
When I lived in London and worked full time with two on full livery (part really, no riding involved) I used to ride 4x a week-Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, so I was only driving 2 days after work and that made it manageable for me. Could you reduce your visits to 4x a week, and pay someone at the yard to lunge once a week to keep him fit? Not ideal I know, I used to feel quite guilty about this but in reality I was there at least every other day to keep a very close eye on them, and my yard were really great, and looked after them brilliantly, plus I had decent facilities with lights etc to ride in the winter so it was definitely worth it!

bonnysmum

Visit site
My horse is currently 35 miles away, an hour's drive. The very closest yard is 28 miles away and unsuitable. This is not livery yard country!

Ratface

Visit site
Five miles away, Ratface lives in a perfect palace, with his relatives and staff. Unfortunately, the lovely hacking is now infested with a stupidity of people in/on a variety of wheeled vehicles. Ratty is excellent in traffic. Both he and I are festooned in flashing lights and covered in hi viz: it just doesn't seem worth the risk to our safety to ride out any more. The small electric car creeping up on us and hitting my offside stirrup was probably the last straw.

stangs

Visit site
I do not envy you. My old share was a 1h20 commute one way - and that was if the trains were running right. The things we do for some decent hacking…

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Mine is 30 minutes away on d-i-y livery. However I don't work 9 til 5 hours so am able to block out a half day (morning / afternoon / evening) to see her. I also got a sharer last year when my hours changed and I was left unable to look after her properly.

flying_high

Visit site
Feel your pain. My best suggestion is get some decent music / podcasts / audio books and try and make the time in the car enjoyable and useful, then you mind it less.

If you can flex your working hours to miss some of the traffic it helps.

I have my horse 25 minutes in no traffic, 40 minutes away in traffic. He is rehabbing, so I am currently going twice a day, and it is hard not to hit traffic at the moment.

Chianti

Visit site
I feel your pain. My pony's had several health issues this year so he's moved to a yard on full livery where I know he'll be properly looked after. It's 22 miles away and on average is 50 minutes. I only go four times a week and in the winter may cut that to three. I'd love to find somewhere closer to home but the good yards just don't seem to be out there. With the petrol situation I'm very worried that I won't get to see him as much as I want to.