Yard drama

Annalee

Visit site
sorry for the super long post. But of yard drama, I’m abit conflicted of what to do. And need some reassurance I’m doing the right thing. Sooo…

Recently I was on a yard with my cob, for just under a year. Due to many reasons mainly lack of turn out, around 4 hours a day only, stables all year, feather mites made worse from from straw, no treatment helping her, she wasn’t happy, at all, she shut down mentally and wasn’t in a good way. After trying many things my last option was to move. A opportunity came up to move close by, literally down the lane, but didn’t have much time to decide. The yard was small (paddock and stables only, no school, but lots of hacking) and needed A LOT of work, fences need repairing and previous owner used it as a junk yard. But initially we were up for it. Sounded perfect, our own little yard, 24/7 turnout. The only thing was company. My friend decided she wanted to come with but didn’t have the money at the time. Me and my partner (who’d never met her at the time) then bought her a colt at £350 (cheap!!) with the agreement that she would pay for him as if he was her own (passport, vaccinations, boosters, gelding etc) plus the price of the pony back. Then once the price of pony was paid we’d change the passport into her name.

This was the beginning of February, it’s now been over 4 months and the yard is still in the unfit state without much improvement. I’m now not physically able to do as much on the yard due to finding out I’m pregnant. The friend is very unreliable, several times let’s me down last minute when she’s supposed to be doing the horses, never had a working phone or credit, doesn’t do a lot of yard maintenance. When we first moved there was no running water, so I had to take barrels up everyday as she doesn’t drive. The water got put back on by her partner but before we managed to speak to the woman to sorts the bills/meter readings I then got confronted, squared upto and threatened about it needing sorting!

She does have a very troubled family life with her 12ye old son in a lot of trouble and a 3yr old so does have a lot on but I’m already worried what’s going to happen in winter time when I will struggle on my own doing the horses in the mud and snow as I’m due around Xmas/new year. It’s summer and She’s unreliable, my mare needs routine in winter and can’t cope with being thrown out of routine.

She’s also made no attempt to pay the money back, the pony only got a passport and vaccinated because I arranged it. But she (borrowed from family) actually paid though. Shes constantly saying she hasn’t got much money or she’s waiting to be paid or waiting for back pay…….. When it comes to buying hay or feed she’s borrowing off family.

Honestly I think I need move yards, soon as before winter and potentially put my mare on part loan for the help and exercise. Move back to a regular livery yard where I can tie up and groom my pony like normal (nowhere to tie up here) somewhere with school I can do groundwork. Look after my horse normally which everything about this yard is stopping! If I move the friend will be forced to make a decision to either keep the pony where she is (gelding then her choice) but she will have to find the pony to pay my partner back soon as or give him up in which case I will sell him. No problem.
I know there’s a lot in this post but I’m a very anxious over-thinker (as you can tell lol) and need to know I’m doing the right thing. I also hate, hate, hate confrontation. But think I need to think about what’s right for me, my pony and my baby. If she loses the pony it’s not my problem, we did our part. Do you agree with me that moving my pony and forcing her to step up?

Arzada

Visit site
Well this set up isn't working for you now. It looks unlikely to change. So come winter when you are pregnant and later when you have the responsibility of your baby it most definitely won't work. If this was me I would find a yard that will suit me, my horse and my family and move. No need for confrontation. You are moving because your current yard isn't suitable while you are pregnant and later when you have your baby. Write off the cost of the pony so that you can move on without any 'baggage.

CMcC

Visit site
Honestly I think I need move yards, soon as before winter and potentially put my mare on part loan for the help and exercise. Move back to a regular livery yard where I can tie up and groom my pony like normal (nowhere to tie up here) somewhere with school I can do groundwork. Look after my horse normally which everything about this yard is stopping! If I move the friend will be forced to make a decision to either keep the pony where she is (gelding then her choice) but she will have to find the pony to pay my partner back soon as or give him up in which case I will sell him. No problem.
I know there’s a lot in this post but I’m a very anxious over-thinker (as you can tell lol) and need to know I’m doing the right thing. I also hate, hate, hate confrontation. But think I need to think about what’s right for me, my pony and my baby. If she loses the pony it’s not my problem, we did our part. Do you agree with me that moving my pony and forcing her to step up?

The last part of your post shows you know exactly the right thing to do for you, your family and for your mare.
Your “friend” is unreliable, is messing you around and is only going to get worse in the winter.
Have the courage of your convictions. Don’t worry about the confrontation, you are in the right. If there is confrontation your “friend” is just trying to make you back down.

Fjord

Visit site
Well this set up isn't working for you now. It looks unlikely to change. So come winter when you are pregnant and later when you have the responsibility of your baby it most definitely won't work. If this was me I would find a yard that will suit me, my horse and my family and move. No need for confrontation. You are moving because your current yard isn't suitable while you are pregnant and later when you have your baby. Write off the cost of the pony so that you can move on without any 'baggage.

This.

Annalee

Visit site
The last part of your post shows you know exactly the right thing to do for you, your family and for your mare.
Your “friend” is unreliable, is messing you around and is only going to get worse in the winter.
Have the courage of your convictions. Don’t worry about the confrontation, you are in the right. If there is confrontation your “friend” is just trying to make you back down.

That very true. Think i worry too much about other people and what they will think or will do. Think I need to just man up and do what I want for once. What's best for my pony, I've had her nearly 8 years now made a few novice mistakes in the past I don't want this to be another. If she's serious about the colt she will find the money to keep him. The friends not a old friend, just one I took a chance one to give her and her son something to focus on and she proved me wrong x

Annalee

Visit site
Your friend doesn't seem to be able to afford a horse. I would offer to pay back the vet fees and sell the horse.
Otherwise, yes, you need to move somewhere easier for you.

That my thinking with selling him. She and my partner would be even and back to square one then. I do now think she seems like the type of person to say "well I paid for the vets etc" To be fair we got the pony about a 1/3 what he should have cost so both sides will get their money back. No baggage, clean slate.

ponynutz

Visit site
Everything above. I don't think you'd be the asshole at all for standing up for yourself here especially with a little one on the way (congrats!!).

Personally I wouldn't have got into the situation in the first place if she had said she didn't have the money yet etc. But I know how easily these things can happen in the right circumstances.

Annalee

Visit site
Everything above. I don't think you'd be the asshole at all for standing up for yourself here especially with a little one on the way (congrats!!).

Personally I wouldn't have got into the situation in the first place if she had said she didn't have the money yet etc. But I know how easily these things can happen in the right circumstances.

Wont happen again lol rushed situation. The colt came the day after we viewed and it was a quick fix to leave the yard I was on. My mare loves it. I'm just waiting on the vet bills from the dodgy fencing or something. Shame the yards turned out to be a dump and she's too unreliable. Colts such a nice boy too, shame to sell him. But it happens, hes still a baby so hell find a good home, my mare comes first.

Annalee

Visit site

Definitely not working for me now. I'm just a pushover i think. Thinking too much about what others will say or do. I put my neck on the line for her and she's proved me wrong. But it not about me, its what's best for my horse, my partner and me and the baby. Worst ting is my partners already said he's accepted he's not getting the money back. But i think its the principle. she's not and old friend or anything but now more she says the more it sounds like she's just coasted through life off family and borrowing money

nagblagger

Visit site
Who has paid for the yard rent? If you have paid for it all could you claim that back by keeping the foal. Yes she has paid for the passport but if she owes you money for rent/ feed you could sell the foal and keep all the money.
You now have to think of your new life with your partner and a new baby - exciting times ahead.

Annalee

Visit site
Who has paid for the yard rent? If you have paid for it all could you claim that back by keeping the foal. Yes she has paid for the passport but if she owes you money for rent/ feed you could sell the foal and keep all the money.
You now have to think of your new life with your partner and a new baby - exciting times ahead.

That parts actually been done fairly. The yard is sublet to us by someone else so we get it cheap. We both pay half of the rent and take it in turns to buy a bale of hay. We each buy our own feed, but I go to get it as she doesn’t drive. We didn’t bother getting the electric turned back on but water well be paying half’s. So the bills side of things it’s all been done fairly, it’s just actual buying of the pony and the physical yard side of things x

Annalee

Visit site
So there's a mare turned out with a colt?
They’re separated. He’s not ready for gelding yet we check regularly and several vets with no concerns. He’s super chilled and not colt like at all. He’s made no attempts to get to her. But that’s also another one of my concerns if he suddenly decides he’s ready and covers my mare. There’s people with horses at the other side of the fence and they’re there most of the day, but still a risk I’m not happy about

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would also be getting a scan on the mare if she's been kept with a colt, or within touching distance anyway.. You'd be shocked how young they can be and still service a mare..

Sorry you posted your reply as I was typing and I didn't see it. I would sell colt, he's legally yours anyway put in writing you sold colt to cover 'x' cost she owes you, sounds like she owes you a fair bit so shouldn't be difficult, and then find yourself a yard locally and stop speaking to 'friend' (who's been pretty naff this whole time it sounds!)

Annalee

Visit site
Was the friend a bit hurried/pushed into something she couldn’t afford, because you needed to move quickly? That’s how it comes across a bit to me.
I think I’d consider that angle before vilifying her.

No, not at all. It was completely her idea to start with. I was initially looking at another yard to move to. But due to her not driving she would have struggled. And this is the only hard I’m walking distance. She said she would have the money in a few weeks, that’s the only reason me and my partner agreed.

Annalee

Visit site
I would also be getting a scan on the mare if she's been kept with a colt, or within touching distance anyway.. You'd be shocked how young they can be and still service a mare..

Sorry you posted your reply as I was typing and I didn't see it. I would sell colt, he's legally yours anyway put in writing you sold colt to cover 'x' cost she owes you, sounds like she owes you a fair bit so shouldn't be difficult, and then find yourself a yard locally and stop speaking to 'friend' (who's been pretty naff this whole time it sounds!)

I probably will consider getting her checked over just incase. I’d rather not have a foal on the way as well as a baby but if it’s happened there’s not alot I can do. I think it’s looking like the only option is the just be honest with her and say it’s not working and I don’t feel secure and supported but her. Which I do my best for her. Unfortunately little boy will have to move on too. Everyone here seems to be saying the same thing

Annagain

Visit site
I don't think you need to say you don't feel supported by her. It's irrelevant and the only part of your planned discussion that might cause tension. Just say your circumstances have changed and you're going to need the support of a yard to keep your mare.

Annalee

Visit site
I don't think you need to say you don't feel supported by her. It's irrelevant and the only part of your planned discussion that might cause tension. Just say your circumstances have changed and you're going to need the support of a yard to keep your mare.
I only mean it in the sense of we both agreed to help each other out. Take turns etc and when I found out I was pregnant she was going to start riding my mare but it’s been over a month and hasn’t made any attempt yet. I know my horse is my responsibility do I don’t mean she has to support me, it was just the reason we agreed to move there was to help each other out

dorsetladette

Visit site
Congrats on the baby.

I'd be thinking of it slightly differently than other posters in your shoes.
I'd suggest the 'friend' hands the colt back to you. Then either get him cut or sell him on. If you chose to cut and keep. By autumn he could potentially be kept out with your mare as company. You then have your own place to keep your ponies out 24/7 with the potential of stables if you needed to. You have hay delivered already so that is sorted. If there was room you could get another pony in to share with you or sell the colt and then get a livery to share with you.

Moving back on to a yard might cause more stress and tie you to times or turn in/out as before. With your own place and ponies being out 24/7 it wouldn't be the end of the world if you turned up late if baby was unwell or you just needed a hours kip while baby is sleeping. With adlib hay in winter it makes your routine more flexible.

Just my point of view. But I do agree that you need to ditch the 'friend' and replace with someone more committed and interested in the ponies.