Yard/Feral Cats

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Howdy Doody.

I am posting on behalf of several clients who are in need of a job.

My clients come in all colours and sizes.
All have wonderful CV's and are at the top of their game when it comes to rodent prevention and management.
They would need a live in position but only need feeding twice a day and are happy to crash in the haybarn.
All are speyed and neutered before taking up the position should you wish to employ one of our operatives.
Anybody interested please PM me or visit
http://furandfeatherswythall.weebly.com/

Venevidivici

Visit site
We got two 7month old feral cats a couple of years ago,because the mice started standing on the yard joining in on our chatting....;) Anyway,they are brothers(had lived outside with their litter mates& mum all their lives) and were terrified when we got them. I was advised we might never get to handle them,or they might 'come round completely' or, something inbetween. We did as told (kept them locked in stables' kitchen for 4wks-lots of human 'traffic',noises,smells etc) and no-one attempted to touch them for a couple of wks. 2wks in,they were brave enough to stick their faces out of the igloo cat bed(instead of pressing themselves to the back of it when anyone came in the kitchen - could only see 4 green eyes,as they are jet black!) and then,over next 2 wks,we'd casually stand near them,maybe lightly touch a paw that was sticking out or tickle an ear etc) Then,over next few wks,they'd let people stroke them,then pick them up(we always let them go as soon as they wriggled to be released) etc and after about only 3 or 4 mths they were like domestic cats. We've had them over 2years now & they are fantastic,lovely, affectionate cats. Noone (including visiting vets) can believe they were feral. They follow us round,lie in your arms like babies to be cuddled,love the dogs and we've never seen a live mouse on the yard since we've had them.My OH,who was never a cat lover,says they're the best pet we've got,as they actually do a 'job'! They've never been ill,have shiny glossy coats and have fab traffic sense. I just wanted to post to encourage other people-give ferals a chance-you'd never know ours hadnt been domestic cats all their lives.:)

Montmorency

Visit site
Another vote for ferals. We had one turn up 15 years ago after our last barn cat died. He was completely wild- couldn't get near him. We started feeding him and he gradually started to come into the utility room to eat. He used to stare through the window at the other cats being stroked but wasnt brave enough to come into the house. Noticed he was lame and getting worse so one day I managed to trap him in the room and after much blood shed (mine not his!) got him to the vet. Had to be operated on and they whipped his bits off at the same time. When he came home and we let him go I thought we'd never see him again after all that but a few days later he was back and he's never left.
Sleeps inside alot of the time now he's an old boy and has pretty much retired from mousing although he does still try occasionally.

mtj

Visit site
Just wanted to give the Ferals another bump.

My stable cat is from the local feral colony (cats protection league are looking after this bunch). Moved into the stables when we had snow.

Quickly tamed himself - i let him take the lead - and is now softer and easier to handle than the house cats.

Vets have confirmed (by teeth) that he definitely was a feral rather than stray.

Only "flaw" is that he is now a barometer. If he is snuggled in the utility room (closes point to cat flap) in the morning, you know the weather is shocking outside.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OP , how do they cope with living with dogs about, my dogs don't chase cats but are on yard all day , we have a house cat who uses a cat flap at the moment she is 14 and the time is coming.
We have discusSed getting a cat or cats from somewhere like yours next time but I am sure about the dogs and are they very wild can you pick them up say ,I am just thinking about getting them to the vets and things like that.
We have a nice yard set in about 23 acres of woods and paddocks it's really is cat heaven for cats who like outside.

mtj

Visit site
OP , how do they cope with living with dogs about, my dogs don't chase cats but are on yard all day , we have a house cat who uses a cat flap at the moment she is 14 and the time is coming.
We have discusSed getting a cat or cats from somewhere like yours next time but I am sure about the dogs and are they very wild can you pick them up say ,I am just thinking about getting them to the vets and things like that.
We have a nice yard set in about 23 acres of woods and paddocks it's really is cat heaven for cats who like outside.

Appreciate this question is for the OP, but I can shed a little light.

I have 2 dogs a gsdx and an Australian Shepherd. Both accustomed to cats indoors. The Aussie was a doddle. The GSDx had to be told not to chase a few times, but mainly because she is very close to one of the house cats that clashes with the feral.

The feral is now very confident with the dogs. Joins us for walks and belts the dogs if they ignore a no command from me. He didn't cope on his only trip to a cattery (hunt in area when we were on holiday), but is charm personified at the vets and now microchipped and vaccinated.

Suelin

Visit site
We have 2 feral cats that are ecstatic at the appearance of our dogs on the yard in the morning. They roll about and purr like outboard motors. We never see any live rodents either and furthermore they keep the rabbits down as well.

They have a constant supply of biscuit to eat, fresh water at all times and are fed in the mornings with a pouch each.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I foster with CPL we
Find
It hard to home ferrals. Such a shame the last two went to a farm. I wish more yards/stables. Would
Consider homing some to keep vermin down. We tend
To home the Fiv cats as indoor cats they are not pts like RSPCA and Blue Cross do

rubysmum

Visit site
i currently have an ex-feral sitting on my chest purring - she is a house cat not a yard one, but ferals - esp those re-homed as kittens make great pets.
we dont have mice, but now dont have moths or butterflies either so she clearly has good [if misguided lol] hunting instincts:)

rema

Visit site
Hopefully once the very nice people at the council pass my plans for my stables i would like to get a cat or two to keep the mice/rats down.I do not live on site do you think this would be a problem?.So the cats will have to fend for themselves over night.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Rema-our two ex-ferals live at the yard. Tho I do live on site (house is a stone's throw from yard) the cats don't come to the house (our rescue GSP is rather uncatfriendly!) and from what I can gather,they are usually 'out' most of the night. There is a catflap in the barn doors&they come and go as they please. I have seen them (on bright moonlit nights) moseying down the lane,leaping into the verges (?mice?!) and walking along the dry stone walls. So,in that sense, they do fend for themselves overnight anyway. In winter,I think they spend more nights indoors at the yard,in their catbed in the stables' kitchen or on the chairs. When i do the night check,one or both is usually there,hanging about in the bushes or carpark but when I lock up again& leave (anytime up to 11pm) they wander off too.Staff arrive at 8am&they are there at the gate,waiting for the humans to arrive.;)

Jingleballs

Visit site
We have a semi feral cat at our yard that was rescued from cats protection and apparently had lived on the streets for a very long time.

He's been fab. Settled in within the hour - very much rules to roost. Excellent mouser although he likes to make sure you are aware of how well he's doing and leaves the mice placed around the main parts of the yard so you can see what's he's caught - he actually ran up to me one day and dropped one right on my shoe.

Definitely a useful member of yard staff!

LaurenBay

Visit site
We rescued a stray which was very feral, she was very young so could have been completly unhandled. We locked her in the yard caravan for 3 weeks. We went in and fed twice a day and sat with her. At first she was very nervy and ran away from you. But she soon came round. She was let out and oh my what a hunter she was! would bring back adult rabbits, birds, squirels! Never saw a rat or any mice either. She would climb up our legs and demand a cuddle. She was also very good with the Horses and espeically loved mine. In fact they shared a stable. She got quite attached to us followed us everywhere. Unfourtantly this was her downfall. She folllowed my YO home one evening and was hit by a car. She died instantly and is now buried at the yard. RIP Brook

425402_10150820609335200_511745199_12538382_725207039_n.jpg

310250_10150342086268639_580203638_8159572_1470810059_n.jpg

430466_10150742547190200_511745199_12320653_193222115_n.jpg