Yard for rent....advise please

yardeq

New User
Visit site
Hi - I am new on here - looking for advise on renting out my yard. Based in the South on our farm. 4 Monarch boxes in an airy open barn, (plus 2 large pens in a separate barn) washbox, secure tack room, WC, barn for storage, plenty of hard-standing, 5 x post and rail turn-out - 15 acres, 60 x 30 arena with Flexiride surface (with full set of show jumps), off-road hacking around the farm, well-located for access to A303. Looking for sole-occupier. Please can anyone advise on what rent might be reasonable? We would remove muck heap, repair fencing. Thank you in advance.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’m gonna bet you ll be inundated with folk wanting to rent from you…wish you were in the north….cleverer folk than I will be along shortly…

maya2008

Visit site
If you’re near Andover we might be interested! One family, no sharers - just us. We could do with more land and I would happily drive further to have a school on site!

Realistically, you’re slightly limited because you have less boxes than land. The going rate locally is £50 per acre (we pay that currently for land and they don’t charge extra for the two usable stables - but we have no school). Most people would want less acreage though as you have fewer stables so you probably can’t charge for the full acreage (unless you find someone like us whose ponies live out and predominantly want land!). You also want sole occupier and most pros would need to be able to make a profit. I paid £350 per month a couple of years ago for 4 acres, 2 boxes, tack room and small school.

If it helps, I just worked out that with school hire, acreage costs and extra hay (if we had more acreage we wouldn’t need to feed much hay as we have natives) then it costs us about £850 per month year round for our herd of 8.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
Somebody with youngsters could make good use of the barns and acreage. Perfect set up for a pro who produces young horses to fund competing their own. £600 a month sounds very reasonable.

Ali27

Visit site
Up in Staffs a yard with 6 stables, 4 acres and an arena is up for rent at £650 per month. This is based on a farm too! I would imagine you could get more due to the extra land and location!

yardeq

New User
Visit site
Respectfully I would advise you to seek help from a professional such as a land agent not only to get the right price but also to draw up an appropriate contract suitable for you and your land.
Thank you for the advice. Luckily my husband is a land agent so the contract side of things is covered off. I've approached a couple of firms regarding price but have not found anyone able to help.

maya2008

Visit site
Think about what you want to add to the contract too - it is hard to read a landlord’s mind as a tenant and without clear expectations set out, things can go wrong. Some of my past landlords have specified that they want us to prevent poaching as much as possible (that’s usual!), others that they want the grass to ‘look nice’ which in reality meant they never wanted it more than 6” long anywhere. Some wanted us to electric fence the horses away from the wooden fence so no damage, others said no electric fencing…and so on!

TheHairyOne

Visit site
600 sounds really cheap to me …

And me!!

On the berks/hants border seriously looked into renting 4 boxes, 7 acres and a floodlit school with good parking for nearly 1k.

Would have taken it had they not decided any rodents would only be there due to the horses so would have had to be responsible for dealing with them via 'humane' methods only. So that's a great big no in the countryside, next to a stream with horsey properties on all sides. I suspect the realities of having horses on their properly with all that comes with them would have been a shock so probably a lucky escape!!

Squeak

Visit site
I would agree that 600 sounds cheap for that. It sounds a great setup. Have you tried searching on local horse fb groups to see if there are any other yards being advertised for comparison?

yardeq

New User
Visit site
Yes I have had a look - there were a couple recently but did not advertise price. I messaged them if they would mind sharing for a comparable but no reply. It is a great setup - used by us for eventing. £800 feels around the right mark. Thank you for your help

Polos Mum

Visit site
We're in the north and I have 5 stables (but 1 really needed for storage) and 3 acres + floodlit school that I advertised for £600 pcm 2 years ago and had people falling over themselves and it went that afternoon to the first to view.

I would think about storage - makes big difference if they can have pallets of shavings and 10 haylage bales outside somewhere.
Are you happy with 24/ 7 turnout all winter - will the land cope with that? if so increases the value as the number of stables becomes irrelevant

I would look at local DIY livery locally - say a guess of £40 per week for nice facilities x 6 horses (assuming each pen could accommodate 1 horse) + say 20% for the benefit of sole use and the fact you'd be at 2 acres of grazing per horse - well over normal livery size!

You get to a big number !

I would advertise at top price and you can always ask for less if nobody enquired. People will negotiate anyway so if the perfect person comes along but wants money off you can be flexible.

Do get a deposit and IN addition at least one months rent in advance.

ihatework

Visit site
So it’s essentially a 6 horse yard with more than sufficient turnout to support 6 all year round, plus good facilities. Add on you doing muck heap and fencing.
It’s got to be a bare minimum of £150/horse/month so £900pcm but I’d go for 1K and I reckon it will be snapped up

dorsetladette

Visit site
We looked at a set up a couple of weeks ago. 8 small (didn't say on the advert)boxes at £25 each with 4 small paddocks. Paddocks were wet. and the use of a menage. Rent was 'cheap' in return for caring for 4 pony stallions. So £800 a month plus 4 full liveries. I think you could easily ask £1000 - £1200 (if not more). It would suit someone producing young horses to sell and compete very nicely with all that land.