Yard owners

nuffield

Visit site
farmer, they usually listen and let you do what ou want [ within reason] whereas some YO think they know it all and wont let you look after your horse how YOU want to.

JessPickle

Visit site
I like my horsey YO. They can sort out the horses in an emergency, and really know what there talking about. but not in a cocky not listeneing to us way!

ThomasTank

Visit site
I like the work in london types who have bought a place in the country coz it liiks good with lots of land who offer it for my horse . They have no idea about anything and keep out of my way and all their friends who come to visit thinks its great !!

miller

Visit site
I've been on both, now have them at home which is best!

Personally would never, ever go to a yard again with a non horsey owner - most irritating people on the planet with the best comment being "what do you mean it's a problem - cows don't have trouble"
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
Well I am the YO so don't have that decision to make.....but if I wasn't? Totally depends on the situation; if I could be with my horses for the majority of the day then yes I would possibly keep them on a non-horsey farmers field, but only if the field was close by.

If I worked full time......absolutely NO way would I leave my horses in the care of someone without horse knowledge.

belly

Visit site
I too have been on both types and I have to say that I prefer horsey YO.

When our horse suffered a bought of lami we had a classic
...her reply to our request for a starvation paddock or being able to strip graze was "what the hell is laminitus and NO you cant strip graze ...it doesnt look pretty from the house"
My reply was something along the lines of
"sorry ...I didnt realise it was Kew Gardens you were running!!"
grin.gif

PoppyPony

Visit site
Horsey as I don't consider myself experienced enough to deal with emergency situations, and I want the best care possible for my horse. They are also useful for riding problems.

evsj

Visit site
An interesting question. Horsey farmers, I think. If I could go completely DIY I wouldn't mind if it was a farmer but would worry if I needed assistance about having a non-horsey person deal with her. She'd probably try and eat them!

SusieJane

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
An interesting question. Horsey farmers, I think. If I could go completely DIY I wouldn't mind if it was a farmer but would worry if I needed assistance about having a non-horsey person deal with her. She'd probably try and eat them!

[/ QUOTE ]

No she wouldn't, she'd just pull faces!!

I wouldn't leave mine with a non horsey person, for the reasons of safety, and sickness.
But do agree some YO think they know it all

Heidi1

Visit site
YO is horsey and good, she makes me get my a** into gear and get out and compete. She is good around the horses too.......so if any problems atleast she knows what needs to be done.....

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
have farmer who likes horses and whose wife and grown up chldren all had horses so best of both, they leave you to it but were fantastic when i was having problems they also are happy to feed the horses when you are on holiday for no extra charge and will bring them in if the weather turns nasty
smile.gif
smile.gif

Visit site
Horsey definetly! I've experienced both and IMO it's nice when someone is there who knows what they are doing so thatyou can trust them to look after your horse and answer any queries you might have. x

idefixbis

Visit site
I've been on both and have found that they have their pro's and cons.
Ist yard: farmer who ran a livery stables because it brings in more money than breeding cows. Horrible man who had no idea how to deal with horses and who was violent. My horse was on grass livery and so he did not have much contact until the day my horse got injured in the field and had to be brought in. He did not follow any of the demands left by the vet. Left after major row when he kicked my horse in the stomach because he would not take medicine in his mouth.

2nd, 3rd and 4th yard: Horsey. Good as I was working. Felt safe knowing that my horse was weel looked after. Changed for facilities.

Moved to northern france:
1st yard dreadful farmer. Not near enough hay.

Yard I am now at also farmers but very nice people. Don't do anything apart from feed and clean box. No possibilities to get horse turned out or exercised if I am not there. Great as I am not working at the mo and go every day. Would be alot more difficult if I couldn't.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Horsey YO (always have had)
love my current YO, she tells me whats what but lets me make my own decisions doesnt for a second interfere if shes knows i dont want it. shes run hunt yards etc and i find alot of her advice invaluable x