Yard/Riding boots for serial boot destroyer

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I'm not sure how I manage it, but I manage to destroy boots within a matter of months. I've got through Ariat Grasmeres, Ariat Stormstoppers, Dublin country boots and Muckboots within a few months each. I just want a pair of warm , comfy boots that can handle riding 4-6 horses a day and general stable jobs! Any suggestions? I have pretty small calves so adjustable sides would be perfect. The only thing I've got left now is my old muckers and they've got a hole in the bottom, but I don't want to fork out hundreds on a pair that I'll have to chuck away after the new year :oops: so recommendations needed please! I also can't stand boots that fold up and slip down on the legs so they get caught under the saddle flap, must be long and with a spur rest.
TIA :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i love mountain horse high rider boots, i have used mine for many years for both stable work and riding and they now have virtually died......they are leather so i cant go paddling in them but otherwise they have been great..

Otherwise

Visit site
How are they dying? I have a friend who would somehow pull off the heel just by walking, didn't do it in trainers but wellies or rigger boots would fall to pieces within a month. The other thing is that sounds like hard work for a pair of boots, they aren’t made like they used to be so I wouldn't expect most boots to last years of that.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don’t know any boots really that would last if you don’t at least try to look after them especially leather.

Have you thought about getting 2 pairs so that you can swop them around and let them dry out and recondition them every few days?

I try to condition mine regularly with a leather cream, let them dry and then use a waxy protector like Renapur and finally a waterproofing spray. However I’m not a heavy user as only have two horses.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would go for Mountain Horse too. Not the smartest of boots and I prefer the Sportives as the normal ones have bulbous toes that can catch up in the stirrup irons, but they have always lasted me a year or two, despite wearing all day every day.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tuffa boots, leather and I don’t loom after them and my last pair lasted 2 years riding 2 horses most days and acting as my yard boots too... I hate wellies I bought the larger lady size so I can wear them over jeans or joggers just like wellies but they do slimmer leg versions too...

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, they die by the heel collapsing inside or they start letting water in, I have a couple of pairs with the heel ripped away and therefore unwearable as the foot won't go in ! I planned on getting a good pair of wellies too for the really mucky stuff, but I do like to warm up by doing the stables and then ride with nice toasty feet, otherwise I freeze. I always looked after them with regular cleaning and leather conditioner/waterproofer, but even so, they didn't last. The Muckboots were the worst , as the plastic(or rubber?) just split and couldn't be fixed. I am only using them for the winter, so I hoped a new pair would last two winters or so. Summertime is always in short boots and gaiters so I can take the gaiters off and cool down! I will look at what's suggested :) I have a Mountain Horse coat that lasted a few years before it ripped ! So I'm quite tempted by their stuff.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The thing is those are country boots and by riding in them and doing all your yards jobs it's an awful lot of wear, if you bought a separate pair of proper riding boots to ride in and used your country boots for everything else they would last, my Dublin country boots lasted 3 years and my mountain horse high riders are on there 6th year and that's often riding 2 horses a day.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I've just bought the Ariat Coniston Pro GTX so fingers crossed they do the job! For a couple of years at least anyway :) Thanks for the replies and advice!