Yard security - no electricity.

Baroque

Visit site
I am about to rent a small yard quite close to a village but with no near neighbours. I am concerned about security and don't plan to keep my tack and harness there. But as is the case with any yard I shall still have lots of bits and bobs that I'd rather didn't "walk". As mentioned in the subject, there is no electricity at the yard or I'd not hesitate to put up CCTV.

There are 2 entrance gates which I plan to chain and padlock both ends, a tack room which will have a stout padlock and we shall replace the hinges with some that are more secure.

I'm wondering whether a dummy CCTV camera would be of any use? And I've thought of painting my name on barrows, tools, rugs etc.

Can anyone please give me ideas to improve security...in fact, any ideas for living in a yard with no electricity since I've not done it before!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Use solar power! Our horses are at home but we use solar power in the stables/yard. We have a camera which runs on batteries but the wi-fi 'box' is solar powered. Everything available on Amazon.

Hack4fun

Visit site
Would a battery powered alarm in your store be useful? Also, you could get battery/solar lighting on a movement detector.

Baroque

Visit site
When did I get so old, I never knew such things existed! Thanks everyone <fires up credit card and heads to Amazon> Is it better to have one big solar panel or have each piece of equipment have its own panel?

Griffin

Visit site
Amazon do some very effective solar powered motion sensor security lights (each light has its own little solar panel), which are about £10 each. You can also get solar powered dummy CCTV cameras.

I would also put up signs to say that nothing of value is kept on site and horses are freezemarked/microchipped. You could also talk to your local PCSO about any security stuff they have available (security marking etc).

cobsarefab

Visit site
You can buy alarms which when a door is opened let out a noise but also call your phone. Signs saying there is cctv is a good repellent and you can get battery power cameras off amazon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have a battery-powered camera which sends wi-fi pics to a phone if triggered by movement. Wifi thingy plugs into solar power set-up for stable lights. It came from Amazon for less than £70.

Baroque

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. You've taken a load of worry off my shoulders and I find myself able to look forward to our move a great deal more now.

Mule

Visit site
Wow, I never knew about all these things. I was going to suggest barbed wire to deter people from climbing over the gates. Nevermind ..

patseyr

Visit site
Yea, cameras have come a long way now and you can set up a system to run for months on a small car battery . As said coupled with motion sensor solar lights and also there are some great motion activated hunting cameras with night vision which can be picked up for not too much these days. Also signage, dummy cameras, locked panel gates, will help persuade thieves to go somewhere else.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Solar powered things are good & will serve you well. You don't mention how solid the tack room is. We have extremely solid tack room with security door & alarm but we do have power. A steel container is good to have. We have one for storing rugs etc & it has steel boxes over the padlock points. This makes it extremely secure & we have difficulty opening it with keys so thieves would have a real difficult job. Containers come in a variety of sizes & second hand they do not cost a fortune.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I'm PaS sister and can confirm the effectiveness of the remote camera, attached to a wi-fi "dongle" box, we had the sheep sheared last night and they keep sending me nude selfies :D :D :D.
Our solar lights have been up for about four years now and are excellent, they provide good quality light and it lasts plenty long enough for evening stables in the winter and have been good enough for vet visits as well. When these give up the ghost we will replace with an updated version of the same. It cost £300 for the two plates and transformers and eight lights, with two 5v USB ports. There are no oncosts :) We also have two Solar powered "spotlight" thingys, with a remote control switch, which lightup the whole yard, also highly recomended.
It all came from amazon, as did the camera, I can add cameras to the system if I want more of them. They would also work as foaling cameras, as you can look in real time as well as get alerts.

Baroque

Visit site
Thank you again everyone. I've spent the day planning security and educating myself further. It has amazed me what is available these days (will be adding a small camping stove too. Have to be able to make tea!).