Yard Security - WWYD

supernova21

Visit site
Looking for some advice if possible

I keep 3 horses on a DIY livery yard with very poor security - I am actively looking to move them.

The yard is down a driveway, with the YO's house looking down the drive. There is a gate, unlocked and it's left open 24/7. Even when it does get shut by myself, it's open again a short while later. There's no deterrent to stop anyone just walking or driving on.

My 3 are stabled on the right of the driveway, there's no gates anywhere, all in the open. Even if they escaped there's no gate to stop them as soon as they leave the stable.

The field situation isn't much better, but I've double padlocked the gate which backs onto the farmers fields as that was taken off by it's hinges last year by someone who stole a trailer.

I've also got a combination lock on the main gate I use to turn out.

There's no CCTV anywhere on the yard, I've put 'CCTV in operation'' signs in my field and outside my stables though.

WWYD in this situation? I have security cameras on the way for the field and stables but this doesn't stop someone coming and taking them out their stables as there is nothing to stop anyone doing that.

I know padlocks can easily be cut, but I'm struggling to think of any other option to keep them even a tiny bit more safe & secure than they already are.

I've asked the YO's but they aren't horsey and I don't think they see my issue

Suggestions welcome, thank you

Last edited:

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would keep tack and anything valuable at home

Write your postcode in white paint on your rugs to try and deter them from being stolen

You can hang gates with the top hinge the other way up so it's slightly harder to lift off. But if someone really wants in they will just break wooden rails easy enough.

Is there anything to make you think your horses are at particular risk? Most horses are in fields with gates without locks and come to no harm.

You could consider freezemarking if you think they are at more risk than average.

My horses are in fields that open onto a short drive onto a main road - never crossed my mind that someone would sneak in and take them - 2 of them thieves would be welcome to !!

Personally I wouldn't worry about very unlikely scenarios

Birker2020

Visit site
Good points raised by PM. Especially painting rugs with white paint or even making up a pretend freezemark number as that is more likely to deter thieves. Unfortunately FarmKey have now closed down but you can buy signs of the internet https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123972391440?hash=item1cdd549210:g:fT0AAOSwep1dydL0 (these horses are freezemarked) or make your own and laminate them (cut across the corners or the water will seep in once laminated) and secure with cable ties.

You can also buy BEWARE OF THE DOG or THESE DOGS MAY BITE signs off e-bay very reasonably priced.

supernova21

Visit site
I would keep tack and anything valuable at home

Write your postcode in white paint on your rugs to try and deter them from being stolen

You can hang gates with the top hinge the other way up so it's slightly harder to lift off. But if someone really wants in they will just break wooden rails easy enough.

Is there anything to make you think your horses are at particular risk? Most horses are in fields with gates without locks and come to no harm.

You could consider freezemarking if you think they are at more risk than average.

My horses are in fields that open onto a short drive onto a main road - never crossed my mind that someone would sneak in and take them - 2 of them thieves would be welcome to !!

Personally I wouldn't worry about very unlikely scenarios

I think it is unlikely that anything would happen, but there has been recent thefts (not horses) in the area over the last month and I would never forgive myself if something did happen and I'd done nothing to prevent it if that makes sense?

Reactions: TPO

scruffyponies

Visit site
Whilst you're busy barracading the gate, a determined theif would simply remove a couple of fence posts or cut some wire.

I would be more worried about the horses straying onto the road than theft. We loose graze on a piece of grass just outside our field as a treat for the horses. That way if (when! - there are children involved) they get loose, they think they have pulled a blinder and graze safely without going onto the road. You might want to consider something similar.

supernova21

Visit site
Whilst you're busy barracading the gate, a determined theif would simply remove a couple of fence posts or cut some wire.

I would be more worried about the horses straying onto the road than theft. We loose graze on a piece of grass just outside our field as a treat for the horses. That way if (when! - there are children involved) they get loose, they think they have pulled a blinder and graze safely without going onto the road. You might want to consider something similar.

Yeah that's what happened, they quite literally took the gate off it's hinges.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Are you the only person on the yard? I am in a very similar situation, and have been at the yard for around twenty years now. No locks, no gate locks, no cameras, but usually there is always someone on the yard. We haven't had any security issues with 'visitors' only with fly-by-night liveries that stay a few months and then move on taking what they can carry away with them. Like you, our YO is not interested - you pays yer money, you takes yer choice. Remove all valuable items, mark your rugs, make sure your fences are horse proof and hopefully you will be ok. Thieves these days do not politely come in through the gate - they drive straight through the fences.

supernova21

Visit site
Are you the only person on the yard? I am in a very similar situation, and have been at the yard for around twenty years now. No locks, no gate locks, no cameras, but usually there is always someone on the yard. We haven't had any security issues with 'visitors' only with fly-by-night liveries that stay a few months and then move on taking what they can carry away with them. Like you, our YO is not interested - you pays yer money, you takes yer choice. Remove all valuable items, mark your rugs, make sure your fences are horse proof and hopefully you will be ok. Thieves these days do not politely come in through the gate - they drive straight through the fences.

Sounds very similar.
There are other liveries on the yard but they are behind the house in big barns with gates around them. It's only the area I use that's open and is used as a walk through.
It's a struggle getting people to shut normal gates let alone the driveway at the best of times :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Leandy

Visit site
I would not worry about horses being stolen. Whilst it does happen, most reported cases seem to turn out to be either ownership disputes or horses which have in fact strayed, or been injured or died out of sight somewhere. Most horses in the UK are in unlocked, unsecure premises. As others have said, if a thief wants to gain access to a paddock it is not difficult via normal fencing. They don't have to use the gate! If fencing is well maintained, straying should not be too much of a risk unless you have a known Houdini. I would be far more concerned about opportunist theft of valuables such as tack, but also possibly of feed. I would just do what I could there (as you seem already to have done) and take tack home. My greatest worry about unattended yards is a horse being injured or getting colic or similar and not being found for several hours, or possibly arson (kids messing around) but if the horses are out, then they are in less danger of the latter.

Leandy

Visit site
Just seen your update and that there are other people around even if not in your part of the yard. This is a helpful deterrent if others are coming and going (and would allay my fears about injuries, illness etc if others are around to notice).

supernova21

Visit site
I would not worry about horses being stolen. Whilst it does happen, most reported cases seem to turn out to be either ownership disputes or horses which have in fact strayed, or been injured or died out of sight somewhere. Most horses in the UK are in unlocked, unsecure premises. As others have said, if a thief wants to gain access to a paddock it is not difficult via normal fencing. They don't have to use the gate! If fencing is well maintained, straying should not be too much of a risk unless you have a known Houdini. I would be far more concerned about opportunist theft of valuables such as tack, but also possibly of feed. I would just do what I could there (as you seem already to have done) and take tack home. My greatest worry about unattended yards is a horse being injured or getting colic or similar and not being found for several hours, or possibly arson (kids messing around) but if the horses are out, then they are in less danger of the latter.

Yes there's plenty of people around in daylight hours but unfortunately not at night, I'm usually the last on the yard at night and ensure everything is shut but it's doesn't stay that way unfortunately.

Our field fencing is very sparse, gaps in the hedges and broken fencing, someone could easily get in unnoticed. I have electrified everything though.

Thank you for your suggestions

supernova21

Visit site
Can you get one if those spring things, so the gate shuts itself? Could you speak to the other liveries about your concerns about your horses getting out onto the road. ( I agree that this is a far greater concern than that of the horse's being stolen)
I've spoken to the yard owner directly about it and got no where :confused:

One of mine managed to push out the stable door and luckily myself and my partner were able to get to the top of the driveway faster than him so we caught him in time.

There's two gates to the field and if either of these were left open, or the electric tape broke, 8 horses would potentially be loose on the yard with free access to get to the road.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
On our yard, the attitude is 'I didn't open it' as though that absolves them from closing it. We had a slight improvement when the YO became a grandparent. He was out of the house like a greyhound out of a trap screaming that the gate HAD to be shut! Didn't last unfortunately.

supernova21

Visit site
On our yard, the attitude is 'I didn't open it' as though that absolves them from closing it. We had a slight improvement when the YO became a grandparent. He was out of the house like a greyhound out of a trap screaming that the gate HAD to be shut! Didn't last unfortunately.

When I moved to my current yard every gate had a 'please close the gate' sign on, which I thought was great. I soon found out no one takes any notice :rolleyes: Ignorance at it's finest

AFB

Visit site
I would also be more worried by the risk of straying that theft tbh - my yard is similar in that there is no gate on the lane, however the lane is a good 1/2 mile + long and passes the grazing fields so they do usually stop at their field gate should they get loose.

Absolutely nothing we can do gate-wise from our point of view as lane leads past our yard to another property with a rather unstable resident who would not oblige.

Leandy

Visit site
Yes there's plenty of people around in daylight hours but unfortunately not at night, I'm usually the last on the yard at night and ensure everything is shut but it's doesn't stay that way unfortunately.

Our field fencing is very sparse, gaps in the hedges and broken fencing, someone could easily get in unnoticed. I have electrified everything though.

Thank you for your suggestions

So who is leaving the gate open? The yard owner? Both your issues seem to be yard owner problems sadly. If they don't see that it would be safer to have the gate closed overnight and to have secure fencing when they have livestock on the premises , then there is not much more you can do. I wouldn't be worried about people getting into my field (on the basis that it is practically impossible to prevent unless you build a 10 foot wall all round with razor wire on top), but of horses getting out if the fencing is not good.

supernova21

Visit site
So who is leaving the gate open? The yard owner? Both your issues seem to be yard owner problems sadly. If they don't see that it would be safer to have the gate closed overnight and to have secure fencing when they have livestock on the premises , then there is not much more you can do. I wouldn't be worried about people getting into my field (on the basis that it is practically impossible to prevent unless you build a 10 foot wall all round with razor wire on top), but of horses getting out if the fencing is not good.

Yes, I agree they are. The only other long term solution I can think of is to move, which I'm looking to do as soon as possible.

supernova21

Visit site
Many fields open straight onto the road so unless the fencing and gate to field are in poor repair (in which case the question then is why are you there) then this shouldn’t be an issue

Absolutely they do, however, my issue is the yard gate is never shut, when it should be. In the scenario that a field gate wasn't closed properly or electric tape was broken through (our perimeter fencing is poor) then they would all be out.

When I moved to the current yard it was the best I could do at the time. It's not always easy to move three horses at short notice and as I've said I am actively looking elsewhere.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Slightly off topic but this reminded me of many years back I had 3 very big handsome traditional show cobs in my roadside summer field, a young lady loaned one of them from me. When she had saved up her pennies she bought herself a nice prancey dancey looking ex racing TB.

As soon as it went in the field with my cobs she said she was now very worried that thieves might come by and steal her horse as they obviously wouldn't be interested in mine but might well want to steal her new horse! ? She actually said that to my face I kid you not! ?? Still makes me chuckle now whenever I see something about horses being stolen from roadside fields.

I also like beautiful TBs, but back in the day you could buy one for less than the cost of a new field gate, a good big strong fully feathered cob however was of greater interest and value to a certain minority group that weren't adverse to pinching the odd horse here and there!

OP I wouldn't worry too much, from the sounds of your set up there are far more likely and easier ways for thieves to steal horses than where you are.

supernova21

Visit site
Slightly off topic but this reminded me of many years back I had 3 very big handsome traditional show cobs in my roadside summer field, a young lady loaned one of them from me. When she had saved up her pennies she bought herself a nice prancey dancey looking ex racing TB.

As soon as it went in the field with my cobs she said she was now very worried that thieves might come by and steal her horse as they obviously wouldn't be interested in mine but might well want to steal her new horse! ? She actually said that to my face I kid you not! ?? Still makes me chuckle now whenever I see something about horses being stolen from roadside fields.

I also like beautiful TBs, but back in the day you could buy one for less than the cost of a new field gate, a good big strong fully feathered cob however was of greater interest and value to a certain minority group that weren't adverse to pinching the odd horse here and there!

OP I wouldn't worry too much, from the sounds of your set up there are far more likely and easier ways for thieves to steal horses than where you are.

I'd hope so as well, although, an open gate does seem somewhat inviting

Nicnac

Visit site
Unless you have an electric gate to the road, plus another automatically locking 5-bar gate to the yard, you will always be at risk of somebody leaving the gate open (or your horse jumping out) wherever you are.