Yards - How long does it take you to get to yours? options

Horsekaren

Visit site
So i'm pretty set on moving, scared to say the least!

i've been researching yards locally as i am spoiled with having my yard at the top of my road at present (2 min walk)

I have been to view two yards so far

Yard one -
it is like one of those fancy yards you drive into and instantly think i am not worthy of being here (dressed head to toe in primark, unbrushed hair and all in all a bit of a scruff )
  1. 20 minute drive
  2. 20 stables
  3. 2 beautiful schools that dont flood- one flood lit
  4. hacking close by
  5. individual turnout
  6. airy stables
  7. summer turnout during the day on grass
  8. winter 4 hours on sand
  9. everything brought onsite (£5.95 a bale of hay :O )
  10. services available at cost
  11. no time restrictions
  12. £195.00 per month plus services, hay, bedding, petrol ect so id guess around £450 ish .... :/
Yard two-

1. 7 minute drive
  2. 10 stables but mine would be on field livery with shelter
  3. turnout is very loud, having a busy motorway next to it
  4. field shelter very small (opposite stables and next to two other horses in same set up)
  5. school does flood slightly but is sand and is still usable
  6. some hacking but must go via very busy road
  7. services available
  8. yard hours are 7.30 - 6.30
  9. £120.00 a month plus hay, feed and services as and when required

Just by reading this back myself you can see i have a fav but the distance and cost does worry me. My biggest fear is handing him over for services, i know him, i know how to deal with him and i enjoy it, i am worried if people change things up he will go down hill or start to just see me as the person that comes and works him, not the person that does it all :(

My horse requires the following
  • turnout
  • well ventilated stable
  • individual or separate herd turn out
  • if restricted turnout in winter there must be usable facilities when dark
And just to top everything off he has had the all clear for his breathing, vet visited a few days ago and advised it wasn't at all labored (despite now being on 7 hour turn out in a poorly ventilated stable :D

flying_high

Visit site
Not enough information. How big is the field shelter? How big is the field in yard 2? And how much grass / how free draining over winter.

HOw big are sand paddocks in yard 1? And do they really get 4 hours every day, all winter? How long are they kept off grass fields? 3 months? 6 months?

What is current winter turnout like? Are you gaining by moving?

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mmmm...not sure I'd want to be on either of those yards TBH. Lack of turnout at Yard 1 would be a real concern.

Shelter situation and busy road hacking at Yard 2 would be a no no for me.

Sorry HK...think I'd keep looking if I were you.

flying_high

Visit site
The driving time / fuel cost, it makes a big difference if can only go once a day? Versus havi ng to go twice?

Are you aiming for DIY or assisted DIY with one visit a day?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would also keep looking, HK :)

My DIY yard is a 15 min drive away and that's fine for me, I have been as much as 30 mins away in the past on DIY and the travelling became too much. If I was on part/assisted livery then I wouldn't mind a 20 min trip.

But I echo the questions around winter turnout for yard one, when do they have to come off the fields and how long for?

Bernster

Visit site
Driving time is obv more important when you're on DIY or assisted and need to go 1/2 every day. For me, yard 1 is closer to what I tend to need but the winter turnout isn't great. I'd probably carry on looking.

I think I need a different set up to you but I'm in London so will always have a fair distance to travel. Current yard is 35 mins from home and 1 hour from work.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Yard one -
sand paddocks are quiet big ( about 20 by 40) There are 20 paddocks like this.
Summer they have 2 paddocks each about 30 by 70 (some a bit bigger) they start in one then move to the other half way through. They are off the grass weather dependent (not set times just when its wet)

Yard 2 field shelter i would say is about 9 by 9 ft, paddock is a 20 x 40ish and the summer paddock is 20 by 60 ish (one winter one summer) :/

I would be visiting yard 1 once a day if that was the chosen option

Carrottom

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about your horse just seeing you as the one who works him - I had mine on full livery, ridden by the staff as well during the week, and he still whinnied when I walked into the yard. You will still be the one who spends that extra bit of time and care with him.
When you visited yard 1 were there horses out in the sand paddocks? If so did they seem happy and relaxed?
I would want to spend some time at a yard to judge whether I would want my horse living there

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Of the two, personally I'd go for yard 1 as it would fit my needs best, but I agree with others, in your shoes I'd keep looking. In answer to your question, I'm super lucky that our yard (which is absolutely perfect in terms of what I need) is about 3 mins drive away from our house, but I have previously kept horses further away which was a bit of a nightmare when balanced with my sometimes crazy working hours.

I wouldn't worry about your horse not seeing you the same way, my boy is on part livery and I actually find I have way more quality time with him as I'm not having to split my available time between doing chores and him.

Last edited:

pixie27

Visit site
I've moved mine about 20 mins drive away as opposed to 5 minute drive on our previous yard. However the new place is definitely worth it, and as I'm on part livery I only need to go once a day. If it's a decent yard, they should improve your horse's behaviour when they handle him (not saying it's bad!) not make it go downhill. My two horses did SO much better moving from DIY to part as they were in a much better routine - turned out at the same time every single day, with the same horses.

Honestly, horses don't care who mucks them out/walks them to the field/feeds them. And it's nice spending time with my boy just chilling/riding/chatting, rather than rushing around filling haynets and mucking out etc. I'd keep looking though - neither of those yards sound great. Have you mentioned where you are? Posters on here might be able to recommend yards?

only_me

Visit site
Yard 2 would be a definite no for me having yard times. What if I wanted to compete in evening and arrived late/came back late with horse? Or had to leave very early morning for a competition?

Neither sound great tbh. First one sounds a lot better than no.2 but really depends on whether you could get 24/7 turnout in summer. At least in winter they get some turnout. Do they have a walker?

flying_high

Visit site
Yard one -
Summer they have 2 paddocks each about 30 by 70 (some a bit bigger) they start in one then move to the other half way through. They are off the grass weather dependent (not set times just when its wet)

Yard 2 field shelter i would say is about 9 by 9 ft, paddock is a 20 x 40ish and the summer paddock is 20 by 60 ish (one winter one summer) :/

sand paddocks of 20 x 40 metres sounds fairly good for making best out of lack of winter turnout.

But summer fields of 30 x 70 metres sounds tiny. As does the other yard field.

Grass turnout surely should be in the region of an acre per horse?

pippixox

Visit site
I would be concerned that if you can measure the field in yard two in meters that it is definitely too small to use all winter.

I would personally be someone to chose worse facilities for better grazing (that is my current situation!) but yard two doesn’t appear to have much grass either. At least yard one knows it has limited grazing but tries to compromise with sand pens.

Distance has to be taken into account as time and fuel adds up. I have to go over a level crossing. So my easy 10 minute drive can become much longer sometimes.

be positive

Visit site
Yard one -

I am shocked that "turnout" is measured in metres for both yards, is this becoming normal now are we no longer looking at acres per horse and having something barely any bigger than an arena as summer grazing, I know individual turnout is popular but with paddocks this size they are so restricted in winter they must be so muddy it is no wonder horses end up in more than out.

For the OP don't forget how much hay he will need if there is no grass to eat all winter.

Casey76

Visit site
sand paddocks of 20 x 40 metres sounds fairly good for making best out of lack of winter turnout.

But summer fields of 30 x 70 metres sounds tiny. As does the other yard field.

Grass turnout surely should be in the region of an acre per horse?

30x70 is just about 1/2 acre (65m2, if square), and that wouldn’t bother me at all if only on grass for half a day.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
30x70 is just about 1/2 acre (65m2, if square), and that wouldn’t bother me at all if only on grass for half a day.
yeah it's about the size mine have each, and in summer it is enough - not what I would actively choose if there were good alternatives but they can have a good run about and if you look after it, there is enough grazing for an average working horse out 12 hours a day or so.

it is absolutely hopeless in winter, I think mine would prefer sand paddocks with hay tbh but I'd be concerned about the price of the hay at yard 1 o_O

Leo Walker

Visit site
Keep looking. But don't worry about handing him over. I cant cope with the physical work of having a horse so I need help. The last horse I had was done pretty much by the yard for long periods of time, yet he was still obsessed with me and preferred me over everyone else. Horses aren't stupid. They know the difference between someone who chucks a haynet in or turns them out and their own person. Said horse was also a total git at times. It didn't phase the yard at all. The YM was a professional and used to handling much worse than him

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought the same about the paddock sizes,

re hay prices I think it depends what is normal for your area, when I was used to somerset hay prices wiltshire seemed quite expensive!

indie1282

Visit site
Takes me about 20mins each way but I only go once a day as I pay YO to bring in in winter and dad does a check when they are out 24/7.

I moved here from a yard that was about a mile down the road from me! But the grazing and yard went downhill and it just wasn't working out anymore. I cant say the extra mileage and fuel is welcome but I know that the horses have a better life and I have much better facilities at my new yard.

It's also more expensive per month but it includes hay/haylage all year ( unlimited) and I can buy bedding from her at the same price as my local merchant. So it evens itself out over the year.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I am shocked that "turnout" is measured in metres for both yards, is this becoming normal now are we no longer looking at acres per horse and having something barely any bigger than an arena as summer grazing, I know individual turnout is popular but with paddocks this size they are so restricted in winter they must be so muddy it is no wonder horses end up in more than out
Sadly it appears that it is indeed becoming the norm on many yards, with tiny shelterless electrically fenced individual turnout patches. It may be ok for those horses in a decent amount of work, but it's no way to keep a retired or young horse.

Annagain

Visit site
I wouldn't be too concerned about the field shelter being too small but I wouldn't want a horse living out all winter in a paddock that small. The whole thing would be a mud bath. Yard 1 sounds better but not ideal either. Both seem quite expensive to me too but I'm in a different part of the country. I'd keep looking I think.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I am shocked that "turnout" is measured in metres for both yards, is this becoming normal now are we no longer looking at acres per horse and having something barely any bigger than an arena as summer grazing, I know individual turnout is popular but with paddocks this size they are so restricted in winter they must be so muddy it is no wonder horses end up in more than out.

For the OP don't forget how much hay he will need if there is no grass to eat all winter.

This - the lack of appropriate turnout would make me dismiss both without a second thought. I do travel 30 minutes to my yard, which is quite workable I'm finding - I only routinely go once a day though.

SpringArising

Visit site
I drive 20-40 mins depending on traffic to mine once a day. I'm on assisted DIY with hay but not bed included. Usually comes out at around £500 a month.

I wouldn't worry about staff handling him - that's their job and unless you have the anti-Christ will be more than able to deal with him.

There are lots of staff at my yard but my horse definitely knows who I am. I don't want him to think I'm just going to rock up and ride so I just mix things up and there's no reason you couldn't either. Some days I ride, some days we go for a walk in hand, others we do groundwork, others I just brush him and do carrot stretches etc.

chaps89

Visit site
Currently 40 mins - An hour and 10 depending on traffic. I work near the yard though so just do horse on my way to/from work and on days off have a freelancer do 1 end of the day for me.
I would write down why you're leaving your current yard, how either of your 2 options help with the issues that mean your leaving the current yard then do pros and cons of all the yards as well.
For me, compromising massively on one thing is harder than compromising a little bit on multiple things. Other people may be different but once I realised that it helped with yard hunting. Are there any other options - have you tried preloved, Facebook and ******* websites as well as going for a drive around and seeing what else is around?
If you have to move and can afford yard 1 without bankrupting yourself I'd probably go there. It sounds like the field at yard 2 is not big enough to support horses on it 24/7 and whilst I'm a huge advocate of horses living out it has to be in the right conditions- if it turns into a mud pit and there's no relief as they're out in it all the time that would be a big no for me.

flying_high

Visit site
I wouldn't be too concerned about the field shelter being too small but I wouldn't want a horse living out all winter in a paddock that small. The whole thing would be a mud bath. Yard 1 sounds better but not ideal either. Both seem quite expensive to me too but I'm in a different part of the country. I'd keep looking I think.

This I think. I make yard 1 summer field 0.44 acres. The cost of providing 24/7 hay at 5.65 a bale is likely to be high with little grass all year round.

Yard 2 winter field with 9ftx9ft shelter, is under 0.2 acres and likely to become poached very fast. And living in mud all winter sounds pretty grim.

TBH I'd only consider yard 1 from what you describe. But I'd need to know I could afford the cost of hay all year round, and I'd want to be able to hay the summer paddock if needed.

TreeDog

Visit site
I can't understand a yard offering winter grass livery on 0.2 of an acre. Is that paddock an all weather surface? If so then if I had to choose I'd be more inclined to go with yard 2. But only if the 'yard hours' work with you or could be flexible, so if you know you'll be there late/early they won't mind if you let them know in advance. And small only if the fencing is very secure being next to a motorway.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Yard 2 would be an absolute no. Do you work 9-5? If so with travel to and from work/yard and yards jobs, even just brushing off the mud I don't see how you could have a decent ride within the 7.30-6.30 hours. I have been on yards with closing times before, but never that early!
I travel about 20mins to my yard and it doesn't bother me. She is on full livery (no riding) so I only go 1x per day. Yes the YO feeds and handles her, but it has no affect on her relationship to me.

ihatework

Visit site
2 sounds awful.
1 is less than ideal but might get away with it for someone needing facilities for competing as a priority.

In your situation neither sound suitable. You will spend a small fortune on hay at yard 1, I reckon it would be more economical to look at full livery yards after you tot up everything for yard 1.