Yay! I drove the lorry!

TGM

Visit site
Now I have a confession to make in that I have never driven our lorry on the road before! I've always relied on OH to take me or daughter to events. Whenever I have broached the subject of me driving the lorry he has always been negative about it, so has really put me off. However, daughter has Pony Club Camp this week and although OH dropped pony off there this morning, he won't be around on Saturday when she needs picking up. A friend was going to pick her up, but her lorry is now in the garage. So obvious solution was for me to drive the lorry!

My friend, who is used to driving lorries, came round this morning to help me and give me moral support. So I managed to get the lorry out of the yard (which is actually the trickiest bit as you have pull into the drive opposite and then reverse round the corner) and then took it out for a drive!

It really was quite nice to drive once I got going and I am just so pleased I finally did it
grin.gif
Will be nice to be independent and not have to rely on OH having to drive me everywhere!

Scoopy

Visit site
Well done you, i was a bit like that, as the first thing from the farm is a big round about where A1 & A14 join, but one day i got stuck and had to do it, so just took my time and went when i was ready ! now i dont even hesitate to drive the lorry Yay
tongue.gif

TGM

Visit site
Thanks DS! I think you're right that the immediate exit from the yard does affect your confidence in trying to drive a lorry the first time! The last yard we were in also had a very tricky exit onto a busy lane!

Hopefully, I will become as confident as you with practice
smile.gif

ajb

Visit site
Well done TGM!!!..like the others said you wont think about it soon...I can remember having to park in my mothers drive before I got my yard and one day having to drive it out (reverese) on my own to collect a friends horse..I was soooo nervous but soon as I got in I was fine..once you get used to having no rear view mirror its quite easy..I did over 1000 miles in mine last year and prob will clock up more this year...no excuse not to come to Camber in October for beach ride now then!!!!!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no excuse not to come to Camber in October for beach ride now then!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ] I suppose not ... GULP!

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oh I played the "bird" card on that one-have a hydralic power ramp...very cool!!!

[/ QUOTE ] Am trying to persuade OH that I need one too! His argument is that hydraulic ramps are unsafe because if the electrics fail then the horses could be stuck inside in an emergency - but I'm sure there must be some sort of safety over-ride for those situations
confused.gif

ajb

Visit site
well I think you can use a screwdriver...man who fitted mine told me what to do..always is a worry but hey my back ramp dropped off all on its own (remind me to never let anyone have a lorry built by him!!) ..But Pauls right it would be a real pain-loads of people have them so they cant be all bad..just need to make sure you have good batteries cost although they are gravity fed (ie they dont lower the ramp for you) they do need juice to pull it back up-so I think most problems stem from old batteries
confused.gif

ajb

Visit site
ha ha-the water will still be warm in October anyway!!!
why dont you come on a PR ride sometime see how she behaves with the others..doing Borde Hill one in September-near you???

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
i have a power/hydralic ramp & yes there is a manual over ride so entirely safe in an emergancy.....but..... i won't have one again....for the simplest reason..... parking out hunting is almost always passenger side to a hedge, ramp down off i go.... i lost count of the number of times i had to phone someone as a 'kind person' had put my ramp up and then of course i couldn't get it down with a horse in one hand!!

BTW... well done for driving it!!

TGM

Visit site
Thanks RD - interesting to know there is a manual over-ride available. Bloomin' annoying about your 'helpful' people out hunting, though!

ajb

Visit site
Borde Hill is 10th Sept I think its a sponsored ride for heart foundation-10 miles optional jumps and dont know if I imagined it but a shorter course for little ones on LR?? sent for scedule so will let you know more when it arrives..we were going to do Postling but its miles from us and Borde I think is nearer...