Yay! Went bitless today!

Waffles

I don't know how often I'll keep doing it, but I'm really chuffed my horse (who I've had for 6 months) went really well - just chucked on the hackamore and went out for a couple of hours, plus we had our very first jump over a log. Just wanted to share it!

Waffles

Thanks! I wasn't really worried. I had about 5% anxiety I'd say. i rode my last 2 horses in a bitless, but yes, you never really know how they will react! I prefer bitless riding out hacking as I like to go on long rides in the summer and it means I can let him rest and graze if I want.

Waffles

Right.... potted history here... first used an english hackamore in the 70s when I had an ex racehorse who put his tongue over the bit in gallop and was unstoppable - had a few accidents smashing through fences etc. bought the hackamore then and that worked. I tried it on my next horse (mid 90s - section D) as he used to pull like mad, and I had about the same amount of control. Current horse has a very light mouth in eggbutt snaffle - (also section D) so I figured I'd just try it and see how he went - if anything better - and yes, brakes worked. With my last horse I once said to someone "Actually I have more control when bitless, you should try it on yours" - her horse had a sore mouth or something at the time - anyway, went out riding with her, my horse took off flat out, jumped loads of fallen trees (it had been windy and all this was totally unexpected) - was completely out of control. At the end of the woods, I turned round to see the woman on her horse visibly shaking. She never rode with me again! Current horse is a different temperament though :)

Waffles

also, the woman I ride with regularly uses a Dr Cooke bridle - she said her horse really hated the bit and he used to tank off all the time, but the Dr Cooke one works for her and the horse. I love the feeling of freedom with a bitless and dare I say it.... trust :eek:

RoobyDoobs

Right.... potted history here... first used an english hackamore in the 70s when I had an ex racehorse who put his tongue over the bit in gallop and was unstoppable - had a few accidents smashing through fences etc. bought the hackamore then and that worked. I tried it on my next horse (mid 90s - section D) as he used to pull like mad, and I had about the same amount of control. Current horse has a very light mouth in eggbutt snaffle - (also section D) so I figured I'd just try it and see how he went - if anything better - and yes, brakes worked. With my last horse I once said to someone "Actually I have more control when bitless, you should try it on yours" - her horse had a sore mouth or something at the time - anyway, went out riding with her, my horse took off flat out, jumped loads of fallen trees (it had been windy and all this was totally unexpected) - was completely out of control. At the end of the woods, I turned round to see the woman on her horse visibly shaking. She never rode with me again! Current horse is a different temperament though :)

Hahaha poor woman!!! Right decision made... Once we've got through the initial stages of barefoot... Bitless is next! I love the au natural way to do things!!!

Waffles

Ha ha - indeed, the hackamore doesn't have a bit but does have a curb action. My horse is barefoot - unintended really - he'd never been shod, has really good feet and my farrier says he is fine (at least at the moment) without shoes.

stargirl88

ooo I'd love to go bitless....... always a bit more tempted when I see posts like this :D

and I know there's a 30-day money back trial thing on the dr cook. Oooooo.

Oberon

I'm delighted that the barefoot thing is saving lots of money more than anything. If he gets sore or whatever, I will get him shod though!
Bet you'll ask yourself WHY he's sore first though ;)

Barefoot AND bitless....slippery slope to bunnyhugdom

Waffles

Yes, well - he'd be sore from having his hooves worn down too much from too much riding for the particular terrain we are riding on. He's not a bunnyhugdom horse.... i'd probably like him to be though:eek:

MagicMelon

Ha ha - indeed, the hackamore doesn't have a bit but does have a curb action. My horse is barefoot - unintended really - he'd never been shod, has really good feet and my farrier says he is fine (at least at the moment) without shoes.
Just because it has a curb action, this works on the nose not the mouth. It is bitless. Being technical, your horse is actually unshod if its trimmed by a farrier as they trim in a way thats to put a shoe on. I have 2 who are properly "barefoot" in that they are trimmed in a particular way by my barefoot trimmer. My competition horse however who is trimmed by my farrier is simply unshod.

Waffles

I assumed that as my farrier knows I am riding unshod that he trims in such a way that is sympathetic to riding unshod. Actually, he doesn't really need to trim at all as my horse's hooves are wearing down from riding - he just sort of tidies them up and makes sure they are symmetrical etc.

amandap

Out to Pasture

:D

Good on you op. Being old and crumbly I'm very safety conscious, so I'd like to suggest that anyone making a switch to bitless works in a safe enclosed area first, to make sure the horse understands the signals and you have effective communication going.

Waffles

:D

Good on you op. Being old and crumbly I'm very safety conscious, so I'd like to suggest that anyone making a switch to bitless works in a safe enclosed area first, to make sure the horse understands the signals and you have effective communication going.
That's probably a good idea - especially if you haven't used one before!

Waffles

I suppose it depends very much on the horse and how you ride really. I've never found it made much difference to control - just had to indulge in a bit more neck reining and body weigh shifting

Waffles

I didn't take it as a criticism, so no worries. I was probably a bit mad to just bung it on yesterday and go out, but there we go.....just thought I'd take the bull by the horns!