Yearly booster without injection?

paddi22

Visit site
I know the answer to this is probably no!

But we have an ex-rescue horse that is very very sharp and it is impossible to inject her. She got the first two of her starter flu and tet injections from vets but she was absolutely lethal to inject, she is very flexible and can barrel kick from any side and launches herself at the vet. i wouldn't risk putting a vet in danger with her again doing it. . Vet suggested injecting her the second time in the horsebox and she nearly went over front bar at him. Id imagine she would do the same in stocks, she also cant be twitched. I have done work pretending to inject her by putting a pin against her etc and pulling the skin etc to desensitise her, and shes barely manageable with me, but I wouldn't trust me injecting her in case I got it in the wrong place, and she is still reactive once the needle goes in. And she seems to sense vets and just go very highly strung, so theres no way of even sneaking up on her and doing it on the sly.

I am hoping to affiliate ther this year so she needs to be up to date with her vacinations.

Is there ANY way of giving them without injecting?! or is it possible to sedate a horse without injecting? If so, does it cost a fortune. has anyone had a similar issue??

The-Bookworm

Visit site
You can get a gel I believe that goes in the mouth.
But I sedate for teeth and vacs. She's got better over the years. But it's still needle phobic.

TheMule

Visit site
I have one the same, she kicked the lorry to pieces when we tried that tactic. She'll need a hefty dose of Sedalin which is an oral gel and then a sneaky quick stab and go before she can wake up. It would be worth you learning how to inject, it's pretty straightforward

paddi22

Visit site
I did what we do to all the recues to get them used to it. so usually starting by handling the area, then bunching the skin, then gradually moving on to laying a syringe with no needle against it and around, and then when they are ok with that pressing a point in against the skin. i usually do it every day and they have all gotten used to it fairly easily. . she is just pure ultra sharp and i would hate anyone to get injured. she's the kind of mare that if she doesn't like something she tells you her opinion - like shes fine to clip, shoe, handle etc, but anythign with a needle or vet is just a total 'no' for her!

I think learning to inject it might be the answer. I've injected in the neck before on other horses for stuff, but i just have the fear she would move and id stick the needle in somewhere lethal!

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I did what we do to all the recues to get them used to it. so usually starting by handling the area, then bunching the skin, then gradually moving on to laying a syringe with no needle against it and around, and then when they are ok with that pressing a point in against the skin. i usually do it every day and they have all gotten used to it fairly easily. . she is just pure ultra sharp and i would hate anyone to get injured. she's the kind of mare that if she doesn't like something she tells you her opinion - like shes fine to clip, shoe, handle etc, but anythign with a needle or vet is just a total 'no' for her!

I think learning to inject it might be the answer. I've injected in the neck before on other horses for stuff, but i just have the fear she would move and id stick the needle in somewhere lethal!
Mine sounds like this.
No is no and you know it's no and I mean no. They don't change that no to maybe, I'll think about it, let's try.

Do you need both jabs for competiton?

paddi22

Visit site
yeah she needs to get the injections yearly.. just dreading it turning into an expensive saga every time. the rest just eat hay and don't even notice the injections!

Mule

Visit site
I've never had my horses passport checked at competions. I wonder how thorough they are about checking?
I give mine their injections and just fill out the details on their passports myself.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
many years ago my vet told me to inject into the chest where it is a bit soft and flabby as i was a bit worried about doing my horse/s daily jab in his neck, although it was only a short course it saved my vet travelling miles just to jab him and also saved me some money. dont know if that is an option now but i found it much easier and my horse didnt even seem to notice..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If you do any riding club area comps their flu vaccs will be checked, I've gone through the entry pile previously :p.

I would discuss you doing it with your vet, and sedation (sedalin/domo) options before they arrive.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm guessing there's no route to getting an exemption? I doubt it's an option because people would abuse it but just a thought.

Our old gelding wasn't quite as dangerous as your mare sounds but he wasn't great. Either strong oral sedation before the vet arrived worked, he still reacted but not as badly. Or the vet would walk next to him while we led him and jabbed him in the chest as we walked which he didn't notice. Weirdly. He was ok with the vet as long as my OH was there and the vet had his dental things. But highly suspicious if vet was not in dentist mode.

But yes. Oral sedation is probably your answer. And keeping going with the desensitization as well. Have you tried adding a food reward into the process?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Have you tried the chest? My mare won't be injected in her neck but doesn't even notice if it's in her chest while she's got her head in a bucket.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have dealt with this one we gave sedaline then domosedan under the tongue once the sedaline took effect .
The the horse was stood with its bum towards a door with two bales behind it and blocked in on the side away from the wall we I think five people the vet walked up to the door and jabbed into the top of the quarter .
Worked fine ,thank god it was not my horse I could not have been bothered with it long term .

ihatework

Visit site
Domosedan gel completely zonks them out, cost about £35.
You could add hobbles to that if really needed.
Use the sedation to get any other things they are uncooperative about done all in one hit.

paddi22

Visit site
I've never had my horses passport checked at competions. I wonder how thorough they are about checking?
I give mine their injections and just fill out the details on their passports myself.

at eventing ireland events here they do a lottery of a few horses, and if your number is picked you have to show you passport. So I just can't risk nit having her up to date. :(

paddi22

Visit site
that domesedan gel sounds like it could be an option and also the tryoing different areas. thanks so much for all the advice everyone!

Mule

Visit site
at eventing ireland events here they do a lottery of a few horses, and if your number is picked you have to show you passport. So I just can't risk nit having her up to date. :(
Ah, good point. I suppose oral sedation. Mabey clicker training long term.

conniegirl

Visit site
Ive had my passport checked at several shows, mostly overnight shows or championships

Nudibranch

Visit site
I had one like this. Turned from do anything to try and kill you the minute a needle went anywhere near. Domosedan was a big help; in fact it was in her vet notes not to attempt IV anything without it. Sometimes they are past the point of desensitisation. All the prep and then it goes out of the window when a vet tries.
My old vet used to work with Australian station horses and had one go over the top of stocks due to extreme needle phobia. Nobody could explain how it did it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have a mule like this: he is nearly impossible to get a needle into - I have a hero vet, and a very strong tie ring. next year we will be trying the demosedan route :)

conniegirl

Visit site
My old vet used to work with Australian station horses and had one go over the top of stocks due to extreme needle phobia. Nobody could explain how it did it.
I had one destroy a set of stocks at a vet hospital due to a needle. Up to that point he was brilliant with needles, but his sedation (iv) suddenly wore off whilst vet had a large needle in his spine.
It was like noting youve ever seen, one minute the horse was practically falling over drunk on the sedation, next moment the stocks were in bits, the horse loose, vets and vet nurses on the floor etc.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Without making to make the issue of the injection trivial. But when mine was very very sick the vets could do anything with her. She was described as a lamb. I remember saying Gosh she's really sick. When they rung back to say it took three of them to do something they described her as turning the corner.
Bad manners- but a relief at the same time.

mossycup

Visit site
My old mare was like this. I would have to catch her before the vet left the surgery for ours as she could smell them coming. I had to learn to inject as one vet refused to even try but eventually another vet worked with her and they came to an 'understanding' and she allowed him to do it without risk to life...just!

jj_87

Visit site
i have a horse who used to be like this, the worst moment was when she had to go for a lameness workup and nerve blocks, she literally would make herself as tight as she could and would erupt. Vet hospital thought pinning her down would be the answer which she stuck her middle finger up at.... in the end i used to walk her into the clinic with the vet who would have a chat and cuddle with her and inject her whilst she was relaxed and walking along. My vet at home knows her inside out and knows the sh!t shes full of so we do it in a very similar way.. just keep her walking and he pops walks alongside and bam its in. I wrote to her breeder and she asked if she still didnt like needles.... turns out when she was microchipped the chip was defunct after it went in, so the vet cut it out! ouch! I dont think I would like it after that experience.