Yellow clear snotty nose???? anything to worry about?

ponyclubnicole

Visit site
Have my horses at home and noticed that one of them had yellow but clear (if that makes sense) snot sort of dried on one nostril. in the field this afternoon. Just been out to tuck them in and his nose is still a bit dribbly. Wiped it all up but noticed that it's still a bit dribbly. My vet might not be happy for me to call him right now especiallyif it's nothing too serious but I am a worry wart and need someone to tell me there's nothing too serious to worry about?? just not sure about the yellow side of thing and the best way of describing the colour is the yoke of fried egg?? Seems a tad off colour too but not in an obvioius way. Now I sound really stupid I'm sure. Help please??

dozzie

Visit site
If everything else is normal I wouldnt worry tonight about calling the vet. Check with your vet in the morning if you are worried. Are you feeding dry hay? That could cause a snotty nose but its more of a white colour. Has he had all his jabs? You could check his temperature as high temp could indicate Flu. Is he coughing?
Personally I wouldnt worry too much about a snotty nose on its own unless it persisted after removing all possible causes such as dry hay, straw bed etc.
Hope that helps. However, I'm neither a vet nor an expert but thats what i would do!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
mmmm, as its yellowish and you say he seems slightly off colour, it could indicate a problem; although i highly doubt it warrants an emergency call out.

Is his temperature raised? The problem is, a runny nose initially can be the start of a number of things so its kinda hard to pin point just one. (Yellowish discharge can be an early sign of strangles for example)

Any swelling around his glands?

Try and take his temperature tonight if you can and then again in the morning. I personally wouldnt bother a vet for this right now, but might justify a call in the morning just for a bit of advice.

ponyclubnicole

Visit site
hmm he doesn't appear to behot but i'll go and takehis temp now. I only have 3 at home and they don't mix with anyone else, and all jabs totally up to date and in fact the last one was only 2 months ago. I worry if he looks remotely off colour and will definitely check with the vet in the morning. Thanks for this, i'll worry all night knowing me!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
It could be nothing, it could be the sign of something developing.

Strangles is generally much more common than flu ( apprximately a 4:1 ratio)which is why i mentioned it, but if your yard is rather isolated, then the chances are slimmer.

Taking his temperature is the best indicator of whether or not he is sickening with something tbh, so that would be my first step
smile.gif

dozzie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Strangles is generally much more common than flu

[/ QUOTE ]
Never knew that! Thanks!

I agree with Tierra, the temperature is key. I have fortunately never experienced strangles, so cant help you with that, but mine have had flu. The horse's temperature drops before it goes up.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Well, in quite a few european countries, strangles is a notifiable disease which allows the collection of data on how common it is. Sooooooo, although the figures collected arent from the UK, its approximately a ration of 4:1 in favour of strangles through the european countries that do have it as notifiable.

I assume thats a lot to do with flu being a disease you can actually vaccinate against and strangles not :/

Tbh though, its rarely as bad as its made out to be (imo)

dozzie

Visit site
Dont think strangles is notifiable over here. Or is it? If not that would be why the info isnt available. Flu isn't notifiable- or wasnt when mine had it. Is flu notifiable where you are?

ponyclubnicole

Visit site
he's fast asleep on the floor and wasn't too happy to be disturbed and looked well enough so will take the temp at 7 when i get up to feed him and call the vet if he still doesn't look right. Thank you for your help you two. xx

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Nope, they arent notifiable in the UK which is strange imo. The only way to really keep a track on outbreaks and fluctuations in the diseases is to make them notifiable!

They're both notifiable through out scandinavia... the authorities dont actually do anything here, they just keep track of outbreaks and make sure neighbouring registered yards are informed to try and prevent the spread. Their role is more in tracking fluctuations in cases and ensuring people are aware of how to deal with it and cases in their vicinity... they have no involvement in the individual horses if you get what i mean.

We also have to vaccinate for flu more regularly than the uk so depending on whether theres an actual scientific reason for that, its also possible our 4:1 ratio could see lower incidences of flu than the UK. The vaccine for strangles was never legalised here however (i know its now been withdrawn from the UK market also), but it never passed the required effectiveness here so again, its possible our figures are slightly skewed over that.

ponyclubnicole

Visit site
ok Just to update ... temp was 37.9 and the vet said perfectly normal and wouldn't worry unless nearer to 40 or beyond (eek). So to the snot, it's alergy (dust) related. Couldn't get any hunter shavings last week and they sent something else so could be as simple as this. Definitely not an infection she said but to keep eye on temp and she'll come see him Monday if it hasn't gone. Will change bedding. Light exercise to drain gunk out. I am relieved. Thanks again for your help.