Yellow snot both nostrils no other symptoms

PollyP99

Visit site
I arrived to ride this morning to find my mare with a very congested and crusty nose with some yellow tinged discharge. She has no temperature and is a known pollen induced head shaker(very mild solved by nose net). She had dry hay in the field last night and I suspect she stood over it all night.

I cleaned her up, tok her in on soaked hay for a while turned her out and she seems fine, slightly snotty but nothing more. In fact clean the second time I checked her

Could she have hay fever presenting in this way as people are suggesting to me or would you be thinking some thing more serious?

I'll get the vet obviously if she seems the same tomorrow although from what I've read they normally say give it a couple of days to see how it develops.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My mare had yellow snot when she had a chest infection. I'd ask vet for anti bs, to clear it up

It could be dusty hay thats caused it

Hope it's nothing worse x

PollyP99

Visit site
Thanks, yes I think will speak to them in the morning, did yours have a high temperature, any other symptoms I Should look for?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Well it was a couple of winters ago. She was fine other than a cough when I rode. But didn't cough much in the field.

Didn't notice her temp being high. But I didn't check. I was lucky that the vet was out vaccinating my other horse so didn't have an extra call out.

PollyP99

Visit site
Ok thanks, yes I would expect a cough, my mare doesn't have one, will keep an eye thanks for the info.

wyrdsister

Visit site
One of mine gets a bit snotty sometimes. (She's a walking vet bill). It seems to be dust related, clears within a few hours/few days. No other symptoms when it happens & she's fine in herself, so tend to just soak everything or turn her out more. If there were other symptoms or she seemed unwell, that would be a vet visit! Hope yours is okay.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine often gets a bit snotty at this time of year with no other symptoms. The first time it happened, we stopped working him and kept a close eye on him but as he was happy in himself, eating well and his breathing was normal with no cough we didn't call vet. It passed in a few days. It's happened pretty much every year since. We figured he must have an allergy to something that releases pollen at this time of year.

PollyP99

Visit site
Thanks so much for your comments. She is well in herself and still no temperature, just crusty in the morning and slight discharge daytime. I rang my vet after taking pics and they advised that they've had loads of allergy issues this year and to keep an eye On her breathing, she may need anti inflams if breathing becomes laboured due to the allergic reaction.