Yellow tail - help please!

Cob Life

Visit site
I changed not get the yellow stains out of Blue’s tail! I have managed to get the yellow stains out of his body but the tail won’t budge!

It’s been washed multiple times over the summer in purple shampoo and I’d really like to get it out before he comes into the stables and starts sleeping in his poo again so I can hopefully keep on top of it the winter

Mule

Visit site
I find washing up liquid best for preventing yellowing, even better than the whitening shampoos. If it doesn't respond to a couple of washes with fairy liquid and you want to get it white then, smother it in conditioner and dip the ends in diluted bleach. Wash off the mixture then put on more conditioner and leave it on.

You could also try oxygen bleach, it's not as harsh as chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach is the ingredient in vanish oxyaction

Cob Life

Visit site
I’ve not tried that before, I’ll Have a look

next in my list was the touch of silver human purple shampoo as that’s REALLY purple and all the yellow is below the dock where it’s grown out since last winterso it wouldn’t need to touch his skin

Cob Life

Visit site
I find washing up liquid best for preventing yellowing, even better than the whitening shampoos. If it doesn't respond to a couple of washes with fairy liquid and you want to get it white then, smother it in conditioner and dip the ends in diluted bleach. Wash off the mixture then put on more conditioner and leave it on.

You could also try oxygen bleach, it's not as harsh as chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach is the ingredient in vanish oxyaction
There is a tub of vanish In the tack room! I assumed it was for the white numnahs but maybe this is why!

Cob Life

Visit site
Worth a try :)
I’ll try anything at this point! Admittedly it started brown so yellow is a definite improvement.

I’m planning on hot clothing him one day this week as well (maybe the mare too if I get time), my Nan swears by it for keeping them cleaner in winter

Mule

Visit site
I’ll try anything at this point! Admittedly it started brown so yellow is a definite improvement.

I’m planning on hot clothing him one day this week as well (maybe the mare too if I get time), my Nan swears by it for keeping them cleaner in winter
I've never done hot clothing but I know it's supposed to make them really shine.

Cob Life

Visit site
I've never done hot clothing but I know it's supposed to make them really shine.
Ive never done it either, I’m just hoping I can keep the water hot enough in flasks while I ride as we don’t have a kettle on the yard (and I don’t think my parents will appreciate me taking our one)

Marigold4

Visit site
Horse I have just sold had an orange tail. I tried EVERYTHING to get it white. Nothing worked. In the end I used chalk powder. I made the tail wet, rubbed in the chalk powder, tied up the tail and left for 24 hrs, then washed out the tail. It worked well.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
A touch of silver shampoo works really well on my grey. In winter I usually wash through with fairy liquid twice, then smother it with purple shampoo and leave it whilst I wash the rest of him.

Steerpike

Visit site
I use as hot as water as I can stand with vanish, soak it in the vanish, wash with purple shampoo without rinsing the vanish,leave it on whilst I wash the rest of the horse, then swish around in the vanish again giving it a good scrub then rinse with the rest of horse!

NLPM

Visit site
Green fairy liquid, left for a few minutes. Works well even in cold water. Sometimes takes two washes but her tail ends up sparkling!
Touch of Silver is good too.

holeymoley

Visit site
Purple shampoo for humans. The best one is about £30 but it was discounted on amazon the other week for £8. Fab stuff! Just don’t leave it on too long or it can go purple.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
None of the purple shampoos have lifted the yellow out of Dolly's tail. I've tried ALL of them - horse and human -using plenty, leaving to soak in and using hot water. Fairy platinum is next on my list to try. I will report back.....

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The purple shampoos don't lift the stains. Just add a tint that visually cancels the yellow IF the yellow is pale enough. So you have to wash to get the stain out as much as possible first. Hot water and strong detergents. And then tonnes of conditioner. Once the stain is out the more conditioned you can get the hair the less stains you'll get going back in.

windand rain

Visit site
I usually put a whole bottle of cheap conditioner on for a day or two before I wash her tail. I then wash in hot water and fairy liquid until no more dirt comes out and condition again leaving in again for a day or two then wash with purple shampoo and rinse well then condition well and rinse

windand rain

Visit site
When there is enough sunshine for it to work I use go blonder by john frieda shampoo and conditioner twice a week during show season. Trouble with Hazel is her tail is permanently filthy as it is too heavy or she is too lazy to lift it out of the way when she poos and pees

spoo

Visit site
Another vote for fairy washing up liquid.i find the blue one works best. Very cheap and works alot better than the purple shampoos x

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Reckitts blue bag.

Hot water far better at breaking down the grease and sludge! We have a camping stove and kettle to get hot water. Great for making hot chocolate in the winter months too. ?

onemoretime

Visit site
Bicarbonate of Soda in hot water, as hot as you can put your hand in. Swirl the long tail hair around in it and see the dirt come out, then shampoo with a good shampoo and condition. Also white vinegar in hot water can get white tails clean.

lialls

Visit site
I tried and failed with -
net curtain whitener
bleach
purple shampoo

I found that by trimming the worst bit out of the tail and repeatedly washing with hot water, green fairy and Cow boy magic green spot remover I was able to get on top of the yellow.