Yes another towing question - sorry!!

webble

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that if a trailer has a MAM of say 2500 then the towing vehicle has to be capable of towing that amount even if thats not how much is in the vehicle? EG a HB505 has a MAM of 2340 and an Xtrail a towing apacity of 2000. The trailer itself weighs around 900kg and the horses 900 so would be within the cars capacity but because the railer has a MAM of 2340 I cant legally tow that combo. Is that correct?

Annagain

Visit site
ROG is the best person to confirm this, but I think that's wrong. While MAM applies for licenses etc when it comes to towing weights it's the actual weight that counts, so your 505 would be 905kgs which would leave you plenty for one or even two small horses.

mischamoo

Visit site
Under a B+E license I don't think this applies and legally you don't need a car that tows the MAM of the trailer. How that affects insurance if ever you had an accident I don't know but I'm sure I asked ROG this Q before and as long as the car is capable of towing the unladen weight of the trailer and weight of the horses, I think that is all what is legally required......but definitely get ROG to confirm....

ROG

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that if a trailer has a MAM of say 2500 then the towing vehicle has to be capable of towing that amount even if thats not how much is in the vehicle? EG a HB505 has a MAM of 2340 and an Xtrail a towing apacity of 2000. The trailer itself weighs around 900kg and the horses 900 so would be within the cars capacity but because the railer has a MAM of 2340 I cant legally tow that combo. Is that correct?
NOT CORRECT

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of the vehicle must be able to cope with the plated MAM of a trailer but there are plenty of internet myths saying different where nobody can back up what they say

There is also no law or rule which states the vehicle GVW + trailer MAM must be within the GTW

Towing capacity and GTW refer to actual weight maximums not plated weight maximums

The plated weight maximums for something are the GVW MAM or MTPLM which all mean the same thing

Is each individual part within its own max weight limits? = yes = ok
Is the trailer + load being pulled within the towing capacity? = yes = ok
Is the total weight of the combination within the GTW? = yes = ok

ROG

Visit site
Depends on your licence, if you have category B+E on your licence, it's the actual weight that matters.

The same rules apply to both B and B+E towing but B towing has one extra rule which is that the vehicle GVW added to the trailer plated MAM must not total more than 3500 kg

webble

Visit site
NOT CORRECT

There is no law or rule which states that the towing capacity of the vehicle must be able to cope with the plated MAM of a trailer but there are plenty of internet myths saying different where nobody can back up what they say

There is also no law or rule which states the vehicle GVW + trailer MAM must be within the GTW

Towing capacity and GTW refer to actual weight maximums not plated weight maximums

The plated weight maximums for something are the GVW MAM or MTPLM which all mean the same thing

Is each individual part within its own max weight limits? = yes = ok
Is the trailer + load being pulled within the towing capacity? = yes = ok
Is the total weight of the combination within the GTW? = yes = ok

Oh thats good it opens up a lot moe options for me thank you ROG :)