Yesssss!!! Hair is falling out (horse, not mine ?)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Finally!

I was beginning to think they knew something I didn't. Sometimes the hair starts to shed even before the new year. Even the local daffodils are late!

Rigsby is still holding tight to his hair (elderly cob) but the new baby defo has some flicking out when I was grooming this morning.

This feels like the start of the end of winter!

Anyone else have shedding starting?

chaps89

Visit site
1 of mine started on New Year’s Day, lightly, but has stopped again and seems to be hanging onto it again. The cushings one is very firmly hanging onto his fluff, kinda dreading him moulting as there’s a lot of it and he’s a grey ?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yup. The Beast has been shedding little wisps for a week or so. She always goes early. Nothing from MrT or Dragon yet. Hoping to fully clip them all at the weekend to save me drowning in fluff! I say this every year and haven't ever managed it yet...

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've noticed shedding for a week, maybe 10 days now ?

As you say, with the lighter mornings and evenings and the first spring bulbs coming through, it feels like the beginning of the end of winter ??

Annagain

Visit site
It's weird, last year Archie was shedding by mid Jan. This year, even with it being so mild, nothing. I think most of it might be glued on by the mud though.
Charlie started moulting later than Arch last year and we have nothing from him either.

I wonder if they never really grew such a thick coat as it never got cold? Although judging by the hair that came off Charlie when I clipped him, I don't think that's the case!

I saw my first flowering daffs yesterday too, a good few weeks later than last year.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Two of my weekday work horses are moulting like mad, the others not a hair. I’m dreading it because they are so huge and hairy.
My own, I haven’t notice any loss yet sadly :( surely soon ?
Although I had planned to clip them all out and not have to deal with it (I know, bad! I have asthma and they don’t care) but I’ve left it too late so it’s a mask and elbow grease.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Foinavon started shedding a couple weeks ago, but now it's gotten out of control and everything that touches him is grey and furry. Nothing from Hermosa, though, but she didn't get a very thick coat this winter.

Pippity

Visit site
My friend's Arab exploded in a poof of hair when I gave him a scratch a few weeks ago. My cob's been holding on to it, but it's started to go now. I'll have to fish out my shedding blade, because it clogged the magic brush after a couple of strokes.

J&S

Visit site
My veteran coloured mare always seems to start shedding after the shortest day. This year she was a little later, but the other day when I gave her a good going over there was a white hair " shadow" on the ground all around her, it looked like she had been clipped! Still plenty more to come though. Bay pony has shed one of her many layers of Bear Hair!

Tarragon

Visit site
I reckon with my Exmoor ponies that they start growing their winter coat in September, are at full mammoth state by November, start losing it in March and just about have a proper summer coat by July. They take it all very seriously!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Parksmum3

Visit site
Ooooh yes definitely starting to shed now. I have 3 unclipped mainly grey ponies with wooly mammoth coats. Think I need to dig out waterproof clothes to stop the the hair sticking to me, I end up looking like a snowman after a good grooming session!!!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Finally!

I was beginning to think they knew something I didn't. Sometimes the hair starts to shed even before the new year. Even the local daffodils are late!

Rigsby is still holding tight to his hair (elderly cob) but the new baby defo has some flicking out when I was grooming this morning.

This feels like the start of the end of winter!

Anyone else have shedding starting?
Mine are not casting their coats yet.

wiglet

Visit site
No. Nothing at all. She's hanging on to it atm - she's a notoriously late shedder but once she starts, it's usually all gone within a week.

Annagain

Visit site
My comment yesterday worked. Clouds of white hair off Charlie today. Took one look at Arch and decided I needed far more than the 20 minutes I had to start on him.