Yesterday......

J&S

Visit site
Yesterday my ponies were out in the field without rugs, in the sun, happily finding a bite in the short, but obviously present, grass. Today, its pouring with rain, blowing a hooley, very cold and my veteran mare was standing at the gate to the yard where I can see her from the house virtually begging to go in.
It's very wierd weather don't you think? I am in SW England, perhaps other areas have more predictably average weather for the time of year.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes totally vile and what a cold night! I did think about changing him from a 0g rain sheet to his 100g but he decided i was death reincarnated when i went to catch him so i couldnt be arsed to chase him round the field so left him a big pile of hay, food and access to his stable and shelter (both with hay) He'd been in his stable overnight munching on hay so i dont feel too guilty!

Asha

Visit site
my lot didnt even look at me yesterday, the day before i had to drag them in against their will. Today at the gate whinnying like loons wanting to come in. Dont blame them tbh, it started snowing and the wind was bitter. So they are all tucked up for a bit now.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Welcome to global warming......

Having lived for my whole life in Somerset, the weather has noticeably changed over the years. We used to be able to turnout all year round, muck spread in December onto fairly dry frosty fields. Now none of that is possible now. It was 16 degs the other day in December. How people think global warming isn't happening!!

Polos Mum

Visit site
We're Yorkshire and we've had a few cases of lami locally as the grass has been growing like mad on 10+ degree days with 7-8 degrees overnight. Snow Boxing day - deep proper snow. Last night was - 4 but Sunday will be 13 ! The horses don't know whether they are coming or going, and I'm sure a bit flat with that, I've given mine a bit of a holiday because he wasn't himself.

Wildlife thinks spring is on the way - but I think they might be in for a horrible shock.

Nasicus

Visit site
Devon here too, close to the capital. It's been incredibly mild again this year. Rained, sure, but I think we've had frost maybe 3 times this year? And even then a light frost. I've yet to come across a frozen puddle or ice on the ground. Midges have been present the entire time, which is faaaaantastic when you have sweet itch ponies.
I got caught in a very brief snow/sleet/hail shower the other day on a hack, went from blue skies, to black, to blue again, and it was -1 that night I think. But then it's back up to 11c today, and it's been like that most of the season. Yesterday was glorious blue skies and sunshine, despite a chill wind. I actually got a bit sweaty under my coat whilst riding, and all we were doing was plodding down the lane.

SEL

Visit site
Minus 7 overnight here. I've still got the rainsheets out from when it was 15 last week. Ardennes much prefers the cold but it's now 3 degrees and raining. Any more rain and they'll need flippers.

chaps89

Visit site
-5 overnight last night, lovely crisp start to the day, toasty happy ponies this morning. 7 degrees but wet and windy tonight and 2 hungry grumpy ponies.
Fecking weird weather.
I’ve no objection to cold weather but I am getting fed up of increasingly wet and muddy winters.
My FB memories show 5-10 years ago snow, we don’t get that now

PaulineW

Visit site
This time last year I was having to cope with -15 degrees. Last week it was 10 degrees. I’ve left my horse unrugged as temperatures are still getting up to 5 most days and she is too warm. Unheard of at this time of year.

Visit site
Was freezing here last night, horses were out in their super thick rugs though and seemed happy enough! It didn’t thaw out completely all day here, then rained/sleeted/snowed for most of the afternoon but it didn’t settle and it got quite windy. Horses were in for the day out of the bad weather and back out tonight as no more rain is forecast. Tomorrow they can stay out but may come in later if forecast for Saturday is due to start really early Saturday morning, I am just waiting to decide! Literally seem to revolve what I do with them around the weather at the moment!

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
West Devon too. Beautiful yesterday and heavy rain all day from 10am this morning, however, it's all calm and not cold outside at present.

dorsetladette

Visit site
yesterday morning was -3 clear with frost on the ground (proper winter weather) by the time I came out of work at 4pm it was 7 and had been pouring down most of the afternoon.

I just can't make its mind up.

Annagain

Visit site
It was warm and dry for most of November and the start of December here, then warm and wet. Now it's cold and wet but not quite sub-zero. My geraniums are still hanging in there, still flowering.

Squeak

Visit site
It's absolutely bonkers. I'm not surprised so many horses are colicking :( I'm glad I re clipped at Christmas as it hopefully gives me a bit more of a chance of keeping his temperature a bit more stable with rugging. However he's currently looking like a hamster from stuffing himself on the grass that has been growing.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Devon here too (North), we clipped a horse yesterday that was in full winter woollies (think Yak) as she is ready to come back into work after an injury. Poor bugger probably doesn't know what's hit her ? no idea what's going on with this weather!