Yet another abscess question

soloequestrian

Visit site
Sorry. Horse was really sore this morning with no sign of anything happening so the vet came out. She found a cavity and pus came out of it which was great. Horse is now out with a poultice on but doesn't seem much, if any, more comfortable. When I've seen an abscess opened in the past the relief has been instant. I'll obviously speak with the vet again tomorrow if there is no improvement but just wondered if anyone can reassure me in the meantime that the pain might take a while to fade and it's unlikely to be something else going on......

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If your horse isn't improving then I would suspect that there is more gunk that needs to come out.

I did have a horse that had an abscess that seemed to be draining well from the bottom, but she (the horse) was still lame. Then a couple of days later it burst at the top/coronet too and the horse was almost sound straight away.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, my mare had an abscess cut out of her sole, with a nice gush of pus, only for the rest of the pus to then find it's way out of her heel bulb a few days later. Keep up with the wet poulticing and speak with your vet.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Hm, that would make sense - there was something suspicious coming out the top a few days ago but it stopped. I wonder if it has more than one bubble.