Yet another bit thread....

Karran

Visit site
I wonder if someone could help me name this bit.

I've just started riding in Spain and apart from a solitary eggbutt snaffle, most of them look like this one in the top middle, except the port/bridge part in the middle is higher on some of them.

B1379Fig8.gif

I've only ever used snaffles in England and i'm concerned that I may inadvertedly hurt the horses mouth with this, so I'm trying to make an effort to be even gentler with my hands than I normally would. I know bits are only as rough as the hands/Some horses like/work better in different bits etc.

But more information about it'd be much appreciated. My Spanish isn't really accomplished enough to ask the YO too much :eek:

PS - Sorry the pic is so big!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
That is a fairly murderous contraption! But I think a lot of Spanish horses are trained to go in these bits. They work similar to a pelham if you had the reins on the bottom only. the high port will go into the roof of the horse's mouth as the reins are used and the curb chain tightens in the chin groove.

Western horses often have bits like this with long shanks and curb chains, and they are ridden generally on a long rein. I would be inclined to use this bit as if it were the weymouth on a double bridle (ie for collection and fine tuning) and then try to achieve everything else off my seat. Would assume the horse was well schooled enough to understand this level of instruction as I would think if you were heavy handed with one of these the horse would get quite distressed/difficult.

Karran

Visit site

I thought it looked horrific too! The horses at the place I ride are originally trained for the bullring, (not that I agree with that) so I imagine that they have to be very well schooled for that. More so than me! I just feel guilty using what seems like such a harsh bit.

I do try to be very careful with my hands normally, but I feel extra aware of what I'm doing with them when I ride these horses.