yet another rug question...

Kadastorm

Visit site
Just wondering really!

I have a light weight and a heavy weight horseware insulator rug. i have just also got a stable sheet to put over them.

Do any of you have them? Would you also use a stable sheet with the insulator?

Last year i didnt have stable rugs as pony was only in every now and then so he stayed in his turnout rug but this year he will be stabled overnight and fully clipped.

GlamourDol

Visit site
Is this your first winter with him in and clipped?

Clipped two today and they are in fleece and MW, but they are warmbloods, and it is very cold with us. (Cars frozen last night).

Is he clipped already? Is he generally quite a warm pony? Lots of things to consider, is he working hard late at night, are you stables indoors, where in the country are you.

I would suggest playing it by ear. I wouldn't go and buy more rugs now (unless in a sale and too good to turn down :D ) I'd wait and see how he and the weather progresses and if necessary buy more rugs.

ETA:Is that what you were asking? Just read to above reply, and not sure now. :D

Kadastorm

Visit site
Sorry, no I was just wondering whether people use insulators alone or with stable sheets. Im just wondering because looking at them they look like they would soak up urine and poo quite easily so I was thinking I would put a sheet on to prevent it?
He isn't clipped yet and not even living in yet but I have a fleece, light weight, heavy weight and a sheet to use as needed. He seems to have turned into a wimp and feels the cold this year where as last year he was quite a warm pony. That could be because he has lost a lot of weight, he was a fatty but is now at an ideal weight.

Oh and they do have surcingles, they aren't like quilts or liners :)

WelshD

Visit site
Personally I use sheets under rugs so that they can be cleaned easier, I would rather the bit closest to the horse was clean than the outside of the rug if that makes sense, also any wee would soak through the sheet on to the rug anyway

Also I have a possibly quite unfounded belief that if something is good at insulating then putting something over it really doesn't add any benefit warmth wise (different if its just to keep the rug clean of course)

If its simply a matter of keeping the outside of the rug clean then a LW turnout would probably be the answer, it depends on how tidy your pony is in the stable. I have the insulator rug and haven't found it to get any more dirty than the average stable rug

Kadastorm

Visit site
I can see your point WelshD, unfortunately my pony is ridiculously dirty. Well I guess he is named after a warthog (Pumba) :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I really like the insulators and the best thing about them is how easy they are to wash and dry. I chuck mine in the washing machine, so don't use a sheet underneath.