Yet more bitting advice required (sorry!!)

willowtreemum

Visit site
Ok so present situ being...as i've mentioned before,my 19yo 'set in her ways' TB mare arrived to me with a dutch gag on the 2nd ring and i've been experimenting with bits ever since as she's clearly unhappy in the mouth.

Dutch gag - she really hates this bit full stop! shakes her head like a loony and constantly snatches at the bit , used on the snaffle is better in the school but not enough brakes for hacking out, used on the 3rd ring....she panics i think mainly due to poll pressure.

Waterford - she liked this better (actually seemed quite happy)and stopped headshaking full stop but not enough brakes for my liking really.

Hanging cheek french link - no headshaking but she was more unsettled in this and her stearing suffered as a result,also not enough brakes.

Ideally it would be nice if she would lower her head and come more onto the bit in a nice outline but she tries every trick in the book to evade all contact where possible.....

Anybody got any more ideas on this one as she's not the comfiest or easiest of rides to start with but if she's happier in the mouth it's half the battle!!????????

Sparklet

Visit site
Ring Heather from Neue Schule and ask her advice. It could be that she is trying to run away from the stronger bit and a softer one might be better - my TB's have always preferred a fatish KK ultra.

willowtreemum

Visit site
Will do....i did speak to Gills bit bank this morning and they've suggested a low port comfort snaffle with a curb attached.Anybody and thoughts on this particular bit?

The ideas that she might be 'running away' from the stronger bits has crossed my mind although i'd be reluctant to put her in something really mild as the thought of taking a good 3 minutes to stop while out hacking (a lot can happen in 3 minutes!! )

I'll ring NEUE SCHULE though tomorrow and see what they can suggest.