YHL traders-any tips for newbie

smiggy

Visit site
Have just booked a stand for this year in the blackdown building. (clear space)
Have never done a tradeshow before and would love any tips/advice on set up etc from any YHL veterans out there
our product is new and unique so not competing with anyone :)
feel free to pm :)

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Have just booked a stand for this year in the blackdown building. (clear space)
Have never done a tradeshow before and would love any tips/advice on set up etc from any YHL veterans out there
our product is new and unique so not competing with anyone :)
feel free to pm :)

Discounts! YHL used to be the best place for good discounts but its become just as expensive as a local tack shop- use it to promote your goods by offering decent discounts. if people like it they will always come back and pay full price.

3Beasties

Visit site
People like competitions, have one set up at the front of the stand so people can enter easily. Make sure you benefit from the competition too by getting at least their email address on the comp form, that way even if they are not a customer at YHL they may become one in the future if you do a mail shot to all the email addresses you collect.

The email addresses are valuable to you!

What is the product?

Feathered

Visit site
Totally seconding the competition idea with email addresses. Great way to get a decent mailing list.

I sign up for so much stuff at YHL, some stalls were giving out little free bags of treats, that definitely goes down well!

Oh and don't ignore people! So many times I'm wandering round stalls and the person manning it is sat in the corner chewing their fingernails or reading a magazine, it's totally off putting.

0ldmare

Visit site
We've done YHL for years and its a great show. The customers are lovely, proper horsey types :)

My top tip is take warm clothes, the blackdown building can be very chilly. Warm socks in particular as its a concrete floor!

Take lots of stock, its a very busy show! And special offers are always much appreciated :p

Have fun, you'll enjoy it :)

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
My advice is more for you than the stand having done many similar things:)

Take lots of warm clothes in the form of layers so you can add and take off as appropriate:)

Comfy shoes - floors in those places are killers and you feet and back will ache:eek:

Have a stash of snacks, drinks etc with you incase you don't get the chance to leave the stand for any length of time - flasks for hot drinks/soup etc

If you are collecting names/emails etc make sure you have plenty of pens - they will go walk about and plenty of paper/forms to collect them on:)

Make sure you have plenty of flyers/literature about your products for people to take away with them and read later:)

Have a trolley of some kind to load all your stuff into for easy transit to and from the car:)

Have some painkillers, tissues etc with you - nothing worse than a headache etc and having to say the same thing to hundreds of people over and over again:)

Orangehorse

Visit site
To have to engage people, without being too pushy, not always easy!. I think people find it easier to approach a stand if there is a table for you to stand behind, with details of your product and the competition you are going to do, etc.

Offer a discount for purchase at the show, or an extra goody to go with it, that is what people are looking for at YHL. If your product is expensive then don't expect to sell lots, but it should lead to sales later on.

I always like the "new product" sections and I did a reply to YHL that there should be a section for new products at a cheaper price for the trade stands, to encourage people to go.

I used to do trade stands for a big company and we were always told never to eat and drink while on the stand, in front of customers, but if you are the only one manning it, that is not so easy to do.

One big thing - look after your money. Even well hidden cash has been stolen from trade stands, during the daytime too - do not leave it on the stand at all. There are thieves there who are only interested in stealing.

Blythwind

Visit site
Thanks for all the tips and advice. It appears that I have already got most things covered, but its good to know Im thinking on the right lines!

Six weeks to go!

Kat

Visit site
We've done YHL for 4 years, but won't be there this year. The blackdown buildings are really cold, but at YHL they aren't as strict about electric use so take a kettle etc. Dress warmly.

Take a trolley to carry stock etc to and from the stand as the walk from the car park is quite long and the queues to get on site at pack down time are crazy. Also take a torch, you will be packing down while it is dark outside, the trip to the carpark is poorly lit and the carpark itself is uneven and full of puddles. On the upside once you get your car on you can often drive right into the Blackdown buildings!

Beware that Blackdown Buildings can be a bit damp and leaky, the year that we were in there the stall next to us had to be moved as it got wet. If this could affect your product make sure you have covers etc to cover your stand overnight.

If you aren't renting the shell scheme make sure you have suitable walls etc and sheets to cover unsightly walls behind or to the side of you.

Take lots of lights, the lighting levels aren't great in Blackdown.

Have fun and hope you have good sales, we had a good year our first year there, I think people like to see new stuff.