Ym did a runner yesterday

Mike007

Visit site
Well to be precise subletting part of a yard and having her own liveries. Having been told that for various reasons her agreement would be ending ,she took her horses ,any feed that her horses were on , and left . LEAVING NO ONE TO LOOK AFTER THE OTHER HORSES IN HER CARE.She flounced out ,no doubt to complain to her mother ,and hasnt been seen since. Fortunately it is a busy yard and between the YO and her own member of staff and those liveries who could get there ,all was OK . We all supported this person and she threw it all in our faces. Whilst to be honest we are all relieved she has now gone ,(if only because it simply wasnt working and she is not physically suited to hard manual work)I cant help feeling she should be reported to the animal health people at trading standards. Thoughts please.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
While I can see your point, it doesn't come across that she was liked or respected. Maybe this came across to her and she felt she needed to get out and away, wether that was to mummy or not.

Mike007

Visit site
Not quite sure what part of "we all supported this person" you dont grasp. Needing to get away is not a valid excuse for abandoning horses.

Luci07

Visit site
However this person felt she was being treated, she had a duty of care to her liveries and presumably they have paid her for services they will not receive. If the liveries can work together then I would at least expect my livery fees back.

As for reporting her, I don't think there is a body you can do this to. I have a feeling that the responsibility would have been been passed to the owner of the yard..perhaps some legal bods on here can comment? I vaguely remember that the owner of the yard holds ultimate responsibility for the welfare to stop DIY yards turning a blind eye.

However, in my experience, people who mess up like this find that the equine grapevine is extensive and far reaching.

WelshD

Visit site
Unless the horses actually suffered from her actions I wouldn't have thought there would be cause for official action especially as there was a YO

Had the horses been on full livery on a private yard and left alone for days with the owners assuming their horse was ok then that would be different

Whether you may have supported the YM if it was clear that it 'simply wasn't working' I doubt that everyone managed to keep their feelings under wraps. Its not nice not to be liked and at least she vanished without nicking tack etc, most of us have mucked up professionally at some point maybe cut her some slack especially as she had been given notice anyway

Arizahn

Visit site
I believe that when someone reaches the point of walking away completely from a situation, then they are most likely under an immense amount of pressure and ought to be granted a degree of sympathy or at least some leeway. In this situation, the YM has taken her own horses with her, and there were other people there to care for the remainder. Presumably she knew this. Given that she had already been given notice, it is understandable for her to decide to depart. She simply left sooner than expected. That being said, I would hope that any livery money for things that were not done is refunded to those that paid it. I also hope that the YM is alright, as if no one has heard from her, then for all anyone knows she is unwell or has been involved in an accident :(

Mike007

Visit site
I think some people might have missed the point here. As I explained ,she wasnt employed ,she was running her own yard within another yard.she was told that her rental agreement would not be renewed ,so she simply walked away from her own clients who had supported her despite misgivings as to the viability of the business. The horses were simply dumped on the other yard and they were told it was their problem.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Not quite sure what part of "we all supported this person" you dont grasp. Needing to get away is not a valid excuse for abandoning horses.

Considering how rude you seem to be I am surprised she stayed as long as she did. Glad I am not on your yard, if the others are as rude what a "lovely" place it must be.........not.

If you don't want answers don't post!!!!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Tbh I have always found Mike007 is always to the point but honest and fair in his posts. Some people might not like that and call it rude.

Your comments about your situation here Mike sound harsh but very fair to me. Feel free to rant!!!!! It sounds like you're well rid though.

You might want to rewrite the beginning if your last post though!!!

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
Tbh I have always found Mike007 is always to the point but honest and fair in his posts. Some people might not like that and call it rude.

Your comments here Mike sound harsh but very fair to me. Feel free to rant!!!!! It sounds like you're well rid though.
I feel terribly let down rather than angry.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Presumably up to this point she was providing the service your hard earned cash was paying for. While the ending was not good, you were presumably happy enough with the situation previously, even if you did dislike her.

joycec

Visit site
And what does your village do for an idiot when you are away? .........
If you are not either capable ,or willing to take in what has been said .Then dont post.

Correct. I don't like it and I call it rude.

Suncat

Visit site
And what does your village do for an idiot when you are away?
-------
If you are not either capable ,or willing to take in what has been said .Then dont post.

Regardless of the stress of the situation, or your satisfaction with the responses, these comments are uncalled for and I definitely don't see them as acceptable in an public forum.

Mike007

Visit site
Presumably up to this point she was providing the service your hard earned cash was paying for. While the ending was not good, you were presumably happy enough with the situation previously, even if you did dislike her.
Sorry ,but at what point did I say I disliked her,being relieved she has gone ,and as I added ,if only because she couldnt cope with the work physically,and another reason was that she was going slowly broke ,even though we all agreed to pay a bit more .None of this means I disliked her . Otherwise why would I have entrusted her with my horse.

Mike007

Visit site
Regardless of the stress of the situation, or your satisfaction with the responses, these comments are uncalled for and I definitely don't see them as acceptable in an public forum.

I suggest that you read the posts that I was replying to first.If people wish to leap in and use a post as a means to insult me then they can expect to be treated the same.

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site
Whilst agreeing that the village idiot comment was unneccesarily rude I do think Mike's 'tone' in the first post was a reaction and shock to being let down by someone he thought he knew and that his horse could have been at risk. I might well have used the same tone... our horses are our babies, even if we happen to be big strong men!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Not surprised you're feeling let down, I'd be panicking as I'm housebound at the moment and unable to get to the yard. There is no excuse for a person responsible for daily care to abandon the horses without notice. Unforgivable.
Perhaps the BHS might be able to advise ?
On the positive side, it's no loss that she's gone, temper tantrum or not. Anyone who can walk away as she did, should not be working with animals.

Elsbells

Visit site
She may of been at the end of her tether for goodness sake. Some other people have nervous breakdowns and walk out under a train! She's only upped n gone that's all. The horses are OK from what I understand and all she's done is take what is legally hers? Yes she was contracted to you, but ultimately we are all responsible for our animals and their care, end of!

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm with Mike on this one. Presumably she has not only walked away from her liveries, but also from a sub-letting contract with the YO. Who knows what debts she has with other suppliers too. From what Mike says, she wasn't an employee but someone who set up her own business, found her own customers and therefore should have had notice periods etc. as part of the agreements (both her agreement with YO and her agreements with liveries). Legally it would be unacceptable to walk away without that notice period and ethically it's unacceptable to leave horses with no care. It is simply luck that the other liveries have been able to rally round and cover - what if the yard had been out on its own somewhere and the livery owners all away working?!

Mike, you have my sympathies and I can fully understand your anger and need to rant. I hope the situation resolves itself and that the liveries don't get caught up in any wrangles between the yard owner and the runaway sub-letter. What are you plans - will you stay there or find a new place to go?

Dry Rot

Visit site
We men can be abrupt and are generally less skilled in the social graces than females. I am well aware of my own failings in that area. While females are more caring and make excuses for the YM disappearing. Being abrupt is not necessarily rudeness. We men often want to get the point across without further discussion. Women like to discuss. (Oh God, now I'm going to be accused of being sexist!).

I'm with Mike on this one and would be equally upset -- both with the disappearing YM and the comments apparently excusing her of abandoning the animals in her charge. It seems no harm was done (apart from a lot of inconvenience to humans) but if horses had been left in their stables with out food and water? If one had been injured and left unnoticed and unattended? If one had got cast? I would be equally annoyed at those making excuses for her and probably have been a lot more outspoken. So, understanding for a YM who disappears without notice but none for the annoyed and concerned horse owner? Strange logic.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I can see exactly why Mike is upset, marching out on such a huge responsibility and dumping other people's horses is a cold thing to do.

Also, not for nothing Dry Rot, if you anticipate people reading sexism into your comments you might also wonder if there might be some truth to it.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Couldn't agree more with you. Animals must always come first in any situation like this, it doesn't matter how you feel yourself, animals must come first so you must make the appropriate arrangements for them before you flounce off in a huff. It's called being grown up and owning up to your responsibilities; I don't understand why that doesn't seem to be understood by some posters.

Fides

Visit site
Couldn't agree more with you. Animals must always come first in any situation like this, it doesn't matter how you feel yourself, animals must come first so you must make the appropriate arrangements for them before you flounce off in a huff. It's called being grown up and owning up to your responsibilities; I don't understand why that doesn't seem to be understood by some posters.

So very much this ^.

Hackie

Visit site
My attitude would be the same as Mike's in this situation (I also don't think the opening post was particularly rude, but there you go) - shocked and disappointed, and I don't believe that there is any excuse for leaving animals unattended like that when you are supposed to be responsible for them, with no communication to the owners - who up until that point believed they were your clients. There is a way to end a business relationship like this, and it doesn't involve a missing persons report. I'd be ropeable, if it were me.

For all the people saying she must have been 'at the end of her tether', I'd love to know what you are basing that conclusion on, and regardless, it just doesn't cut it. If she needed out of the arrangement immediately and couldn't give decent notice, she should have arranged for a third party to attend the animals, at her expense. The fact she didn't and also didn't give notice, is far more indicative of someone flouncing off and trying to cause maximum inconvenience to those in her wake. I'd be interest to know if they've left anyone in a financial lurch, given such a quick departure?