Yorkshire folk -best hacking routes???

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Further to the thread about hacking being boring (or not depending on your perspective!) I am hoping to get my trailer test soon so thought it would be nice every week or two to take horse off on an adventure hack to brighten our winter up a bit!

We have very few bridleways in my area so wondering where the best places to hack further afield are!!? I can only think of the beaches, middleham and perhaps dalby forest??

I have slightly dodgy knees so tend to like to max out at about 90 mins for a hack! Somewhere with the odd jump around would be even better!!!

noblesteed

Visit site
I am based in the NYM national park not far from Whitby.
There is a circular route round Danby Beacon in NY moors. Also I have fancied parking at Saltersgate car park at hole of horcum, you can hack across the moor from there or get into the back of Dalby Forest (avoiding the entry fee!)
We are near Runswick Bay, you can ride on the beach there BUT it is not very big and wouldn;t fancy taking a trailer down. You could beach ride Sandsend to Whitby on a low tide only.
I know loads of circular routes taking in Mickleby, Ellerby, Borrowby, Ugthorpe etc. There are ditches on the moor to jump.
There is a good route around Fylingdales taking in part of the old railway cinder path (whitby-scarbro cycle route).
You could park at Blakey Ridge (top of Rosedale) and go along the old railway line there.
Further afield there is Redcar/Saltburn beach.
The best thing to do is get your OS map and go exploring! Most of the gates in the National Park are pretty good, certainly on the moors as they are well used by mountain bikers.

sally87

Visit site
there's a good loop around malham tarn way that starts in settle. you can park at rugby club carpark. from memory its about 10 miles, with good views of the penines. its part of the penine way. google settle loop. its only suitable for summer months though as is a bit wild, windy & isolated up there.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
There's some quite nice routes near me going round close to where Bramham HT are, some lovely wide paths through woods and around lakes but prob not as spectacular to ride around as others mentioned! Although handy for the A1 :p

Also some nice routes around Harewood Estate :)

EstherYoung

Visit site
You've also got two very active endurance groups on your doorstep (us in West Riding Group and then North & East Yorks Group) who run rides in the area all through the year, often over private land where you wouldn't normally be allowed. Don't forget Harrogate Bridleways Association too.

There is a reason Yorkshire produces such good endurance horses and that's because the hacking is so fab :)